Eliminated

SteveA

Was a hell of a run. The combo of slippers, time zone change midnight, and Cinderella didn't click this time.

But what a run. First time I've really enjoyed watching all the games in the last 6 years or so.

Making it a point to get to Spring Training late March. Long road trip, but I'm getting the feeling there is something special coming, and want to see it up close and personal.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it would be prudent to temper expectations here.  

We'd all like to see them spend money (YES, @Pickles, that means spend money wisely).  Elias said he wants to spend money.  

But I don't know if that means they actually will.  I don't think Elias is the guy who's going to spend just to spend and overpay for a guy and give an extra year or two to someone who's on the wrong side of 30.  I can easily see him getting to free agency and deciding that, from his perception, the market isn't good and that it doesn't make sense to spend.  And so, we don't get any shiny new toys for 2023.

In other words, he hasn't come this far and meticulously put together a roster of young talent and a system of prospects to spend frivolously and make bad deals.

And then there'll be a bunch of tears on here headed into spring training about how enough wasn't done in the offseason to surround Adley, Gunnar, Hall, G-Rod, etc with good talent. 

I can easily, easily see that being a scenario.   

It seems the most likely scenario to me. I’d expect something like picking up the option for Lyles and a couple of bullpen additions. Maybe one more Lyles type SP. 

I think any shiny additions will come through trades. And then we’ll just complain that Andy or Dan would’ve got a better deal. 

Edited by waroriole

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It seems the most likely scenario to me. I’d expect something like picking up the option for Lyles and a couple of bullpen additions. Maybe one more Lyles type SP. 

I think any shiny additions will come through trades. And then we’ll just complain that Andy or Dan would’ve got a better deal. 

Getting to 82 wins will feel like a playoff berth after these last few years. Still hoping they get there and looks good that they will. Proud of the way this team played this year and MLB has definitely taken notice. Now time to build off of it and avoid the regression that commonly occurs for up and coming teams. 

4 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Seattle hasn't made the playoffs since 2001?

Thats pathetic with how many teams make the playoffs now 

It was the longest drought in the four major US professional sports.   That means teams like the New York Jets and Detroit Lions and  Washington Wizards had been to the playoffs more recently than the Mariners.

I think we might of gotten a wild card spot if in early August we had brought up Westburg and Henderson.   Playing so many games with holes in the line up like Mateo, Urias and Odor really hurt coming down the stretch.   No reason to play Mateo next year with options like Henderson at SS and Westburg at third and perhaps Ortiz at second.   

But Elias has a plan and he wasnt changing it even for a tiny chance this year at winning.   

Still it was a great season. 

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think we might of gotten a wild card spot if in early August we had brought up Westburg and Henderson.   Playing so many games with holes in the line up like Mateo, Urias and Odor really hurt coming down the stretch.   No reason to play Mateo next year with options like Henderson at SS and Westburg at third and perhaps Ortiz at second.   

But Elias has a plan and he wasnt changing it even for a tiny chance this year at winning.   

Still it was a great season. 

Mateo has been worth 3.5 WAR and Urias 3.6. That’s a lot to be asking/assuming Westburg and Ortiz will eclipse that.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I just have to say once again that the tie breaker stuff is horrible. Only Rob Manfred could look at classic Games 163 like Yankees-Red Sox '78 and Tigers-Twins '09 and think, "Wouldn't it be better if those races were just decided by head-to-head record?"

Doesn't that require you to build in at least two extra days in the schedule to account for a game 163 and travel, meaning the entire four-round playoffs need to be bumped 2-3 days to the right?  And you have to be prepared for a three-way (or more) tie that moves everything to the right at least another couple days on short notice.

Even as it is I don't know how anybody goes to more than a handful of playoff games unless you live near the stadium. I've been to four Orioles playoff games in my life and three involved not going to work the next day.  Going to any playoff game is lots of money and scrambling around for the logistics, I can't imagine the work the assistant to the traveling secretary has to do to plan for the team.  Game 163s makes all of that even crazier.

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Mateo has been worth 3.5 WAR and Urias 3.6. That’s a lot to be asking/assuming Westburg and Ortiz will eclipse that.

Right. Mateo is basically having a Mark Belanger year.  Would anyone say "the '77 Orioles might have been playing in October if they just replaced Belanger with someone who could hit!"?

Urias is similar if less extreme.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Getting to 82 wins will feel like a playoff berth after these last few years. Still hoping they get there and looks that they will. Proud of the way this team played this year and MLB has definitely taken notice. Now time to build off of it and avoid the regression that commonly occurs for up and coming teams. 

This is where im at. Im pretty pumped after last nights win and optimistic they'll get on a hot streak to finish the year.