Who do you NOT want the O's to sign/trade for?

btdart20

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone else in the history of the game aged like Nelson Cruz did.

He has hit 35 or more home runs once in his career and that was in 2014.

Ortiz .. and I made thst same statement  in 2014 when Duquette did zero in the offseason except let Cruz walk and Markakis leave 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Do guys typically develop more power in their age 36 season?

What’s wrong with 30HR and 100RBI? Why does he need to develop more power. Should we offer Verlander a contract? He will be 40 next year. Scherzer is 38. David Ortiz seemed to do great from ages 37-40. Jim Thome and Pujols had some big home run numbers in mid to late 30s. Darrel Evans back in the day developed big power numbers from age 38-40.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ortizda01.shtml

The offense needs to be upgraded and first base/DH is a logical choice. 

7 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

What’s wrong with 30HR and 100RBI? Why does he need to develop more power. Should we offer Verlander a contract? He will be 40 next year. Scherzer is 38. David Ortiz seemed to do great from ages 37-40. Jim Thome and Pujols had some big home run numbers in mid to late 30s. Darrel Evans back in the day developed big power numbers from age 38-40.

Are there 1B/DH types you don't want us bringing in?  Bell?  Belt?  

9 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

He hit 15 HR last year. 

Interesting idea for a topic. At the top of my "no thanks" list would be the long-term big money guys whose contracts I expect to ultimately wind up underwater, so Correa, Turner, Judge, and Rodon.

Then I would add guys whose signings would (most likely) result in divisional rivals receiving high draft picks from us, so Bogaerts, Rizzo, and Eovaldi.

After that, I'd include guys that just posted career years past the age of 30 who will be looking to cash in with multiyear deals, so Tyler Anderson, Ross Stripling, and Martin Perez.

Lastly, I'll toss in a couple of 30 or older guys coming off down years in Jose Abreu, Michael Brantley, and Trey Mancini (sorry Trey, I still love you buddy).

Also Rougned Odor. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Then I would add guys whose signings would (most likely) result in divisional rivals receiving high draft picks from us, so Bogaerts, Rizzo, and Eovaldi.

Good point here.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

After that, I'd include guys that just posted career years past the age of 30 who will be looking to cash in with multiyear deals, so Tyler Anderson, Ross Stripling, and Martin Perez.

Yeah, I should have added Anderson to my 'no thanks' list too.  Agreed.

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Are there 1B/DH types you don't want us bringing in?  Bell?  Belt?  

Based on this list, the only one I would even consider would be JD Martinez. He might take a one year prove it deal. I prefer trading Mountcastle and upgrading with Abreu or Rizzo. When Abreu or Rizzo are playing first, it gives us flexibility for Adley or others.

When Abreu or Rizzo are at DH, then I am using Stowers, Westburg, Santander, or Adley at 1B.

If we don’t trade Mountcastle and acquire Abreu or Rizzo, then they are rotating. 

11 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Yes…he is saving them up for us. Do you think we need to upgrade our offense from outside of our MLB team and farm system? Abreu or Rizzo would be good for me. I think Abreu might do a two year deal. He is coming off a three year deal.

Well that’s silly. 

I don’t think he’s an upgrade. I’m addition to the significant power decline, he also had an unusually high BABIP, despite striking out a career low rate. I could easily see a .270/.340/.400 line in year 1 of a 3 year contract in our monster LF.