Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

Using that limitation, 2 starters, high ops hitter, reliever, and prospects to fill, what moves would you make/prefer?

I’m not signing an IFer unless it’s a first baseman.  Abreu continues to be high on my board and he can share first and DH with RM (Mounty getting most of the playing time at first).

I like the sound of Yoshida, who was brought up in another thread.  Upside of his bat and what he brings intrigues me.

Lots of pitching to go after.  Still think a trade there is the best way to go..go after Miami, Houston and Milwaukee.

Mullins is a carrot to dangle, as well as some of the prospects we have depth in.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will be excited when they actually make moves.   In the past, I’ve found some of the offseasons where we expected a lot of dramatic moves to be somewhat frustrating, when the moves either didn’t happen or we settled for consolation prizes.   So, I’m not getting ahead of myself this time.  I’m far more interested in what we might do than in the previous 3 offseasons, but I won’t actually be excited until something happens that’s worth getting excited about.  

Makes sense. And it could be a dud. But Elias' rhetoric is drastically different than any other off-season. For the first time since I can remember, we have a plan we're sticking to, and following it. That excites me.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't. 

Hall was up last year without dominating AAA.

Literally his handling of the player you are talking about violates the rule you are trying to enforce.

Not really.  That was a case of need.   The pen had been overused at that point.    So they bring him up to fill in a few innings.   

That does not mean that he has proven every thing he needs to as a starter in AAA. I think there is good chance Elias stick to his rule of dominating before promotion.  And we know Elias want Hall to be a starter.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

“Our priority -- hopefully, if we’re able to do it -- is to bring in an established starter for one of the, let’s say, top three spots in the rotation,” Elias said. “Just somebody who’s been there, done that, that you can clearly pencil in ahead of the group that we have now in terms of expectations and accomplishments thus far. That would be a big boost.”

To me, this means someone like Kershaw or Verlander.  Maybe his budget is Rich Hill, he has certainly been there, done that.  There are certainly a lot of options that aren’t bad. 
Greinke, Kluber, Quintana have all been there and done that and have a legitimate chance of pitching well enough to be a top 3 starter assuming Grayson and Means are both affective. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not really.  That was a case of need.   The pen had been overused at that point.    So they bring him up to fill in a few innings.   

That does not mean that he has proven every thing he needs to as a starter in AAA. I think there is good chance Elias stick to his rule of dominating before promotion.  And we know Elias want Hall to be a starter.

Yes really.

It is only an absolute requirement in your mind.

He's shown a willingness to deviate.