“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, I'm expecting Roch to start spinning the high costs on the market any day now.

Thing is, he wouldn't be wrong or spinning things,  prices are going higher than expected, which isn't a good sign for us.   I'm less hopeful about us signing anyone significant than I was before these recent deals. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Thing is, he wouldn't be wrong or spinning things,  prices are going higher than expected, which isn't a good sign for us.   I'm less hopeful about us signing anyone significant than I was before these recent deals. 

Why? The Orioles payroll is really low and if they can't compete in free agency  now with a low payroll ,then they will never be able to get in the ballgame.

10 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

We don't actually know if prices are going higher than Elias expected.  Hopefully he had a good read on the market.

But on the bright side I'm not less hopeful.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  I doubt Elias is being scared off by these values.  I will be surprised if Taillon or Bassitt isn't signed.  Then everyone can complain that we overpaid. You're damned if you do. Damned if you don't. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  I doubt Elias is being scared off by these values.  I will be surprised if Taillon or Bassitt isn't signed.  Then everyone can complain that we overpaid. You're damned if you do. Damned if you don't. 

Ain’t it the truth!   I gotta say though, that Tejada deal was pretty sweet!

Last year Eflin's 3-month absence was due to COVID and a bruised right note according to the '23 Forecaster.     That's about as innocent as injuries taking you out half a season can get for going forward.

They just brought him back as a reliever for late September and October, but you'd figure he'd go back to a bulkier role for that money.

https://www.philliesnation.com/2022/09/zach-eflin-finally-returns-to-phillies-in-bullpen-role/

29 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Why? The Orioles payroll is really low and if they can't compete in free agency  now with a low payroll ,then they will never be able to get in the ballgame.

They have approximately $305 million this year. So they have it, it just depends what they approve him to spend

Edited by Roll Tide
The 30 per team on the Disney deal

57 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Another pitcher off the board.

54 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Eflin for $40 million. Matthew  Boyd got $10 million.Pitching could be expensive and maybe a players market in general this year  

Yeah, we're not getting a #2 or #3 SP in free agency if Boyd and Eflin are getting money like this. 

That Lyles reunion is starting to feel a lot more plausible now...

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pretty pricey.  Fangraphs crowdsourcing guessed 3/$30 mm, Bowden guessed 3/$36 mm, MLBTR guessed 2/$22 mm.

ESPN Kiley had him up at 3 x 13.    He has Bassitt at 3 x 18, though with the market generally strong you have to imagine Bassitt and all the Top 10 guys are looking for that extra year.