John Angelos said the Orioles would be like the Rays but with a higher payroll

Going Underground

Ok,just one more quote that seems to imply that Peter spend a little too much money a few years ago.The messages coming from Mike and John seem to change depending on the day and maybe full moon.

In each of the eight seasons before the Angeloses hired Elias to lead baseball operations in November 2018, the Orioles ranked in the top 16 of teams in opening day payroll, with a top payroll of $164.3 million in 2017, according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts. But Elias said it’s doubtful the organization returns to that high mark, at least in the immediate future and certainly not by the end of this offseason.

“This isn’t something where we’re going to flip a light switch and get to our max capacity again,” Elias said. “I think there were years here recently where the team was over its means, and when I came in, we were kind of still feeling that from years prior. But that’s in the past now. We’re in a good spot, much better spot, and I’m extremely confident that we’re going to take the plan to its logical end course, which involves continually increasing the payroll, and it’s gonna start this year.

42 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I think someone needs to remind John Angelos that the line from Field of Dreams is "if you build it, they will come" not we will build it, once they come. 

If ownership's attitude truly is "we will spend more once the fans come back" then they are seriously out of touch. What other industry vying for your entertainment dollar says: "hey, come watch our mediocre (at best) product. And when we get good and you fans spend enough money, we will finally spend - promise!"

What a joke, if that is the way they truly see it. Lmao...

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From your keyboard to God's ears, not sure how that's gonna happen but I'm willing to find out!

She's 25, I'm 41.  So we're consenting adults.

Plus I figure if Sweeney would ever be interested in me, it'll be because I've somehow come into a metric ****load of money and have purchased the Orioles and some other fun things.  If she's with me at that point, rest assured that it's not because of my dashing good looks and prolific sports message board posting history.  I'm sure we'll both be comfortable with the arrangement.

I'm looking forward to her upcoming cameo in the team ads/promo videos with strategically placed "O's".

Sounds like the plan was to make the team good using essentially only the farm system, attract fans, and then spend.

Now imagine this plan if Elias and his team WEREN'T good at drafting and developing. That's how you get yourself into the 15 years of losing dark ages we saw in the early 2000's. 

I'll just say - I'm glad the Elias vision has gone as swimmingly as it has or things would really be grim. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sounds like the plan was to make the team good using essentially only the farm system, attract fans, and then spend.

Now imagine this plan if Elias and his team WEREN'T good at drafting and developing. That's how you get yourself into the 15 years of losing dark ages we saw in the early 2000's. 

I'll just say - I'm glad the Elias vision has gone as swimmingly as it has or things would really be grim. 

You know I've been a fan of this team for far to long when my mind immediately went to this when you said "attract fans". 

Fast Food Lol GIF by Justin Gammon

Edited by HakunaSakata

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't she kinda young for you?

You might want to look for someone more age appropriate. 

Jennifer Anniston said she’d spend a weekend with me (Rolls Eyes) for 1 Million dollars. I told her I’d get back to her when I have the funds. Unless I win the lottery it probably won’t be worth it once I liquidate my assets at retirement age in about 14 years. That said I’m keeping her on the hook by telling her that I’m “gradually and incrementally” raising the funds required.