Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

For the 187th time what does Odor have to do with now ? The answer is nothing. 
He played Odor over Vavra. That’s it. Big deal. 

If we use that logic Elias will never play a young player and if the club is a couple of games out he will deal players. Since that is what he did in 22 he will always do that. 

The angst over this floors me. It really does. Convicting someone of a crime you think they will commit based off of an assumption. The assumption is based off of “loose at best” evidence at a different time and place. 

Well, if you don’t see what it has to do with it, you are purposely lying to yourself.

This organization showed they will play a fledgling vet, making no money, over promising young players in a year where the playoffs were a real possibility.

They now have a new vet, a guy who bats lefty and plays second (2 things that were stated goals by the man making the decisions) and one who makes 8M, which is certainly enough money where the team won’t be cutting him or benching him and you don’t think that’s significant?  Really?

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias has clearly shown he has a major aversion to risk. These one year signings show he thinks this is a similar year to last year where he thinks his team will be about .500 and hope it over achieves.

Starting pitching is a different discussion. Position players is this conversation.  

All I see on here is wanting to play the kids and the promise they have. Why would Elias make a major move if the system is in such a good shape that it does not need it? Any move beyond a year would require a chain reaction of other player moves. This move does not. You sign a Nimmo. You block someone for sure. You sign a SS same story. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, if you don’t see what it has to do with it, you are purposely lying to yourself.

This organization showed they will play a fledgling vet, making no money, over promising young players in a year where the playoffs were a real possibility.

They now have a new vet, a guy who bats lefty and plays second (2 things that were stated goals by the man making the decisions) and one who makes 8M, which is certainly enough money where the team won’t be cutting him or benching him and you don’t think that’s significant?  Really?

I give up. I’m going to start talking about Odor to my dog. Hell I should get another dog and name him Odor. 

Promising young players = Vavra. 

I’m not lying to myself. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I give up. I’m going to start talking about Odor to my dog. Hell I should get another dog and name him Odor. 

Promising young players = Vavra. 

I’m not lying to myself. 

Yes you are. You are trying to find some reason to like this and why it won’t impede anything.  He 100% takes at bats away from players.  If he’s completely awful but plays good defense (whether imagined or real), he will stay in the lineup. Maybe not everyday but he will be there.

Now, if the better players push him, that may take at bats away from him but those guys shouldn’t have at bats taken away from them at all.

Frazier, without question, does that.  There is no ounce of truth that says otherwise. 

The debate is, will he take at bats away all season long.  I agree that could change but not until at least the AS break..unless he gets hurt of course.

Edited by Sports Guy

This thread feels pretty washed at this point.

Either you hate the move or you're in the wait-and-see camp. No one is thrilled about it either way. I don't think it's productive to jump down the wait-and-see people's throats because those people aren't exactly all that far from agreeing with the folks who hate the move. Nor do I think it's fun/productive to just be an echo chamber of complaining. 

So I'm not sure what more there is left to say. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Either you hate the move or you're in the wait-and-see camp. No one is thrilled about it either way. I don't think it's productive to jump down the wait-and-see people's throats because those people aren't exactly all that far from agreeing with the folks who hate the move. Nor do I think it's fun/productive to just be an echo chamber of complaining. 

Then why are you commenting?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It says to me the fans are starved for Elias to make some impact moves that really move the needle on the O's playoff odds in 2023. I never would have guessed signing Adam Frazier would blow up into a 50+ page thread on OH. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It says to me the fans are starved for Elias to make some impact moves that really move the needle on the O's playoff odds in 2023. I never would have guessed signing Adam Frazier would blow up into a 50+ page thread on OH. 

I think one person responding "meh" pretty much covers it.  But, it's something to talk about in an off season that has only produced Gibson, Frazier, Givens and AAAA fodder.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think one person responding "meh" pretty much covers it.  But, it's something to talk about in an off season that has only produced Gibson, Frazier, Givens and AAAA fodder.

Exactly we want to talk baseball, but the O's hot stove has been lukewarm at best this off-season. So whatever red meat we get has fans becomes the hot topic of discussion. It's better than an apathetic fanbase. 

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes you are. You are trying to find some reason to like this and why it won’t impede anything.  He 100% takes at bats away from players.  If he’s completely awful but plays good defense (whether imagines or real), he will stay in the lineup. 

Now, if the better players push him, that may take at bats away from him but those guys shouldn’t have at bats taken away from them at all.

Frazier, without question, does that.  There is no ounce of truth that says otherwise. 

The debate is, will he take at bats away all season long.  I agree that could change but not until at least the AS break..unless he gets hurt of course.

How many at bats?  How many? It’s the end of the world if Westburg does not get 650 at bats in the majors this year? His career forever ruined. Not to mention the fact that with Urias here he was not getting that anyway. Urias won a GG for crying out loud. 

This time a year ago I bet everyone had DL Hall in the 2023 rotation. How many want him there now? 

You honestly think this situation will not play itself out? I’m suppose to believe that the same man in Elias who’s biggest reason for getting this job was for his drafting/scouting/player development skills now has no clue how to do that? 

I don’t love the move, I understand it. The move is completely logical. That money was not being used anywhere else. If you have another position player in mind you preferred, wonderful. That player whoever it was would be blocking someone from at bats. I like Westburg, I like Ortiz, Cowser all of them. It’s a 162 game season. They have deep position player depth. That’s a good thing. 

The position players around here will still be cheap for awhile. I would expect Elias in the future to continue to add players to enhance that over the years. All the time you see contending teams make additions to improve their roster. They don’t assume everything will go right and if does than better yet. 

At the end of the day until he starts to unwind the position players at the AAA/MLB level he has two options. Add nobody/bench player or add someone he thinks still has something left. He may whiff here. He will certainly whiff on moves. Everyone does. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just hoping to simmer it down a little - there aren't really any points left to be made, so it would be shame if the back and forth turned into something more heated. That's all. 

If we get this much action with Frazier imagine how much with a starting pitcher? Look at it on the bright side. 😆

• Upvote 1