In this century, has there been a duller team to follow in the offseason than the Orioles?

Frobby

Although I’m not freaking out about the Orioles’ offseason (yet), it feels pretty typical of all the offseasons this century.  Honestly, how often have we had an offseason that got anyone excited?

2003/04 - this was probably the most exciting, with us signing Tejada, Javy Lopez, Ponson and Palmeiro.  Even so, my big takeaway that offseason was that we didn’t do what it took to sign Vlad, even though he had no other suitors for several weeks.  We also could have had Pudge Rodriguez instead of Javy, with just a tiny bit more effort.

2007/08 - exciting in reverse, watching to see how much young talent we could extract for Tejada and Bedard.  The Bedard discussions dragged on all winter before finally paying off. 

2015/16 - we re-signed Davis and O’Day.   That sure worked out well!

We’ve made very few high-profile moves in the offseason this century.  Even Tampa and Oakland, who rarely sign big FA’s, always seem to be making interesting trades that keep their offseasons lively.   

And, it feels like any halfway-big move we do make usually comes as spring training is already upon us, like Ubaldo, Cruz and Cobb.   The ill-fated Sosa trade also comes to mind.   

It’s just not very entertaining to be an O’s fan in the offseason.   Hopefully in-season will start to become more interesting   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

• Frobby changed the title to In this century, has there been a duller team to follow in the offseason than the Orioles?
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Although I’m not freaking out about the Orioles’ offseason (yet), it feels pretty typical of all the offseasons this century.  Honestly, how often have we had an offseason that got anyone excited?

2003/04 - this was probably the most exciting, with us signing Tejada, Javy Lopez, Ponson and Palmeiro.  Even so, my big takeaway that offseason was that we didn’t do what it took to sign Vlad, even though he had no other suitors for several weeks.  We also could have had Pudge Rodriguez instead of Javy, with just a tiny bit more effort.

2007/08 - exciting in reverse, watching to see how much young talent we could extract for Tejada and Bedard.  The Bedard discussions dragged on all winter before finally paying off. 

2015/16 - we re-signed Davis and O’Day.   That sure worked out well!

We’ve made very few high-profile moves in the offseason this century.  Even Tampa and Oakland, who rarely sign big FA’s, always seem to be making interesting trades that keep their offseasons lively.   

And, it feels like any halfway-big move we do make usually comes as spring training is already upon us, like Ubaldo, Cruz and Cobb.   The ill-fated Sosa trade also comes to mind.   

It’s just not very entertaining to be an O’s fan in the offseason.   Hopefully in-season will start to become more interesting   

Even without free agency there should be plenty of opportunities to make the winter worth keeping up with. There has to be some trades coming one would think considering the amount of middle infielders.

Good post, Frobby. Every year we get our hopes up but Nov-Dec always comes up empty.

If you go back further to the '90s, it was probably the heyday of Oriole offseasons: Albert Belle, Jimmy Key, Scott Erickson, Palmeiro, Alomar, David Wells, Kevin Brown... the hits just kept on coming. Still I'm not sure there was much action before January. When I think of December signings, pretty much F. Robby stands alone!

Edited by now

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As former GM, Joe Pesci, would say. Am I here to entertain you?

I think this may be the entire point @RZNJ. Professional sports are entertainment, they have almost no other relevance. @Frobby is making an argument about his impression of the Orioles from the point of view of a fan. The Angelos family has completely lost any perspective, IMHO, of what the average fan of the Baltimore Orioles wants to see. The fans have watched this team completely tank and now, when the team is rising from those ashes we hear, "we will spent when you start showing up." My answer to your question, as put forth by Mr. Pesci in arguably his greatest role, is yes, you are here to entertain me. That is the only reason you exist!  

4 minutes ago, doccat said:

We always seem to sign the Ubaldo Jiminez's and Alex Cobb's of the world, along with the Kyle Gibson's and Jordan Lyles's and Adam Frazier's.

We finish last a lot.

At least Elias hasn't made a bad signing on the scale of Ubaldo or Cobb for a multiyear deal on a mediocre player. I'm not a fan of the Gibson or Frazier deals, but it's only for a year.

What I'm dreading is hearing the news Wacha signs with the Orioles on a four year deal. Then I'm going to be concerned about what Elias is doing, but I don't see him taking that plunge on mediocrity.