MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

With the way this team is currently constructed, I just don’t like the idea of giving too much away for Burnes. He doesn’t make us legit World Series contenders and we’re not going to sign him long term. 

I don't want to spend a year of Adley, Gunnar and Grayson on the hope of snagging the last wildcard without making some sort of significant effort to bolster the team.

I don't want year two of Adley to be spent still "seeing what we have".

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to spend a year of Adley, Gunnar and Grayson on the hope of snagging the last wildcard without making some sort of significant effort to bolster the team.

I’d rather year two still be seeing what we have than year 4 being all we have to show for Hall/Cowser/Westburg is a draft pick and nice memories. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’d rather year two still be seeing what we have than year 4 being all we have to show for Hall/Cowser/Westburg is a draft pick and nice memories. 

At the end of it all we are going to have are memories, why not have nice ones?

Beats ones in which we miss the playoffs because we don't have any pitching.

Or ones in which those guys bust.

If you aren't willing to pay for free agent pitchers and you aren't willing to draft pitchers and you aren't willing to spend international slot money on pitchers you kinda have to trade for them.

Elias strikes me as being very strongly risk adverse.  I don't think you can win in this division, with this budget, without taking some risks and them paying off.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is my line of thinking as well although if they make an effort to extend them during the season it might take a bit of the sting out of an underwhelming offseason (so far).. 

Elias strikes me as being very strongly risk adverse.  I don't think you can win in this division, with this budget, without taking some risks and them paying off.

While I agree with both these statements, Elias still has about 2 months to go before ST. Also, IMHO, the way he has operated so far this offseason seems to be shoring up the bottom 4 weakest positions from 2022 and biding his time the first half to see what Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz, and Norby do for a few hundred more ABs before pulling the trigger on a SP trade. Not my preference but that's what it looks like to me and kinda what Houston did the year after they broke out.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, Frobby said:

I know you’re just messing around, but I’ll give you a serious response.  Sometimes I can like a player for reasons beyond his on-field play and his stats.   I really admired Nick’s stoicism, his consistency, his approach at the plate.  He didn’t have to be a star to be my favorite player on the team.  He just needed to be who he was.  And he came along at the right time in Orioles history for me to latch on to him.

Right now Austin Hays is my favorite player on the team.  Is he the best player?  Not at all.   Does his approach at the plate drive me crazy at times?  Yes.   But I just like his obvious passion for the game, how much he clearly loves playing baseball, how much he relishes the success of his teammates.   (And, he does wear Nick’s number. 😉)

Two very different players who I like for different reasons.  

We think similarly. Hays is my favorite right now. Surhoff was a guy who comes to mind, that matches this description. It 'appears' that Gunnar has this 'internal fire'. If he does, I predict HE will be the O's white knight, not Adley.

9 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

We think similarly. Hays is my favorite right now. Surhoff was a guy who comes to mind, that matches this description. It 'appears' that Gunnar has this 'internal fire'. If he does, I predict HE will be the O's white knight, not Adley.

maybe they’re both white knights!

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, emmett16 said:

I’m aware.  I’m a little more bearish on him and expect the league to make their second set of adjustments on him.  I hope he proves me wrong. 

Bradish has some of the best stuff in our system. It's not just about his second half, it's about potential and ceiling. I'd like to see Bradish out of that package before pulling the trigger on that deal proposed in the OP's article.