Are the Orioles done?

interloper

Are the Orioles done?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Orioles done?

• Yep - no more 40-man roster additions. They're rolling with who they have now.
    • Basically - maybe an O'Hearn type or two, but nothing serious.
    • Nah - I still think they'll sign a Wacha/Cueto/Greinke type starting pitcher.
    • Nah - big trade incoming that will reshape this off-season.

This poll is closed to new votes

On 1/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, Camden Yards said:

Well if you were hoping for a Phillips reunion, the Angels broke your heart!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/angels-to-sign-brett-phillips-to-major-league-deal.html

It was always a long shot, but the chances of having Maverick Handley and Brett Maverick Phillips on the field for the Orioles at the same time -- kind of like Bret and Bart --  just took a big hit.

• Upvote 1

I guess the only question left is whether Urias and Mateo are still on the opening day roster. The IF still seems a little crowded with Westburg and Ortiz knocking on the door. 

My guess at this point is they both start the season here but at least one of them is in another uniform after the trade deadline. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Remaining needs,

- LH relief depth (Darwinzon clears?, NRI FA?)

- LH vet OF to push for the last bench spot 

- Matt Harvey depth type (Bundy?, Harvey?)

I could see any or all 3 of these.

Like SG said, I don't think they NEED another bench bat, but I could see them signing or claiming another lefty bat that can play CF. At least to bring into camp as a B-squad guy. Daz Cameron is kind of our only CF depth other than McKenna, which isn't great. Put it this way - if they can get 3 or 4 depth guys for 1B, they can definitely get 2 or 3 for CF. 

The AAA rotation is currently not great, as usual. So I think there's definitely room for an interesting former-ML minor league signing there like you mention.

Edited by interloper

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Remaining needs,

I think the Matt Harvey depth type is a combination of Watkins, Zimmermann and Baumann.  I don't view that as a need. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I think the AAA rotation is fine especially since Hall will be in it. Not sure how that can be viewed as a need.

I view it as, who is actually usable down there in a pinch. Watkins, Hall, and Zimmermann. It's hard to count Hall when they have such weird bespoke plans for this kid, whatever they are. Watkins is trustworthy. Zimmermann I'd rather not have to use. So I could see them wanting to insert a veteran guy in there somewhere. But yeah, it's not really a need. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I view it as, who is actually usable down there in a pinch. Watkins, Hall, and Zimmermann. It's hard to count Hall when they have such weird bespoke plans for this kid, whatever they are. Watkins is trustworthy. Zimmermann I'd rather not have to use. So I could see them wanting to insert a veteran guy in there somewhere. But yeah, it's not really a need. 

Well Hall and Watkins are obvious. ZImmerman and Baumann are definitely possibilities. I mean, they have a ton of options. We can debate how good they are but their MiL depth options are much worse than most teams. It’s the upside options they lack.

Is Vavra our 4th bench bar?  If so, what role does he fill?  With this group of IF, he should never see meaningful innings on defense playing IF. How’s his OF defense?  Would it be better to have a more experienced OF?  Who is Vavra ever even going to PInch Hit for?

I like Vavra. I just don’t see a role for him on this team. We should look to acquire a “Jake Cave” type for the 4th bench spot. Let Vavra go to AAA and have sometime playing everywhere.  Maybe ST is enough for him. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Vavra our 4th bench bar?  If so, what role does he fill?  With this group of IF, he should never see meaningful innings on defense playing IF. How’s his OF defense?  Would it be better to have a more experienced OF?  Who is Vavra ever even going to PInch Hit for?

I like Vavra. I just don’t see a role for him on this team. We should look to acquire a “Jake Cave” type for the 4th bench spot. Let Vavra go to AAA and have sometime playing everywhere.  Maybe ST is enough for him. 

Right now it looks like Vavra vs. O’Hearn for that last spot.   Edge to O’Hearn because of 1B but I’d love to see Vavra play some 1B this spring and take that spot.

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Frazier makes Vavra expendable on the roster. Same role…left handed 2B/COF. Vavra has options though and Frazier won’t be around after 23 so Vavra can possibly seize that role in the future.

Or they trade him. I’m not sure how much value he has, but it’s probably not much. 

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Remaining needs,

Need? Depends on what the goal is. If there is no real desire to push for a division crown, then they will be "fine" right now. To get the playoffs and contend for more, we NEED  a number 1 or 2 pitcher.