Bowden claims Os have been aggressive

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Maybe he'll have a sit-down and take questions from fans at Fanfest.

🙄

I meant to say this. I talked to someone before Christmas. There are currently no plans to bring it back. 

Not having the public, especially young kids get a chance to see Adley, Gunnar etc really makes a ton of sense to me. Great job of marketing… 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

As someone who was blacklisted by the PR department, I understand this.  But Elias allowed it to happen and so did guys that used to go to bat for me like Greg Bader, so I agree, if you are not going to tout the company line or be part of a national or major media outlet, they will remove your access.

They really want MASN to be where they can pass their information so they can control the message. They even brought in a guy from a major media outlet known for pushing propaganda to control the message. 

At the end of the day, that's how the Orioles and the Ravens work. So don't expect any hard hitting interviews or more than fluff being put out. 

Unfortunately this has ever increasingly infected more important topics than sports. The media itself has become these propaganda machines.  

It’s all about a preferred narrative. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I believe that's how most major sports teams are run these days.  With a hyper-active 24 hour news cycle, they want to be able to disseminate as much information as they possibly can and keep their players/front office members from having to answer anything hard or uncomfortable.  

I don't think people understand that the Orioles (or any team, really) don't want to have a smartass in the press room ask a smartass question that would get under Elias's skin and have Elias flip out (not that he would, he seems like a cool character). What would be a mundane press conference/media meeting would probably be on Sportscenter.  It could go viral on Twitter.  And they don't want that.

They want to control the narrative. No business airs their dirty laundry deliberately but it’s weak and pathetic. 

I can’t stand reporters who make the story about themselves. That said I get angered/amused at the same sports reporters who get upset at limited access in their profession be perfectly fine when it occurs outside their jobs. Another topic for another place.  

41 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I meant to say this. I talked to someone before Christmas. There are currently no plans to bring it back. 

Not having the public, especially young kids get a chance to see Adley, Gunnar etc really makes a ton of sense to me. Great job of marketing… 

Had to find the money for those Gibson and Frazier contracts somewhere.

6 minutes ago, deward said:

Had to find the money for those Gibson and Frazier contracts somewhere.

Outside baseball ops…..the Orioles cheapness is very visible.

They ditch their major off season promotional event and we have seen what they have done with the broadcast crew. Open the gates later, not send radio/TV crews on the road. 

I would be embarrassed by it if I owned the team. Billion plus dollar company acting as if their small family business needed to cut corners just to survive.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where's that #1-#3 starter? 

Right and he will tell you that he likes Gibson and thinks he will be good for them and that he likes the young guys yadda yadda yadda. He will also say that they were/are in the mix for other SP. He's said these things already.  

31 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Outside baseball ops…..the Orioles cheapness is very visible.

They ditch their major off season promotional event and we have seen what they have done with the broadcast crew. Open the gates later, not send radio/TV crews on the road. 

I would be embarrassed by it if I owned the team. Billion plus dollar company acting as if their small family business needed to cut corners just to survive.  

They will do something for the season ticket holders right before or during the season but their marketing has been terrible.They had a real marketing guy from the Miami Heat but he butted heads and lasted nine months 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They will do something for the season ticket holders right before or during the season but their marketing has been terrible.They had a real marketing guy from the Miami Heat but he butted heads and lasted nine months 

I have season tickets and that’s great. 

They should be expanding their reach to as many people as possible. Not limiting it.  

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't really see what's wrong with this reporting. He said the Orioles were "aggressive" on going after the mid-Tier starting pitching and we heard many other reports that the Orioles were in on several of the guys who signed elsewhere.

Obviously, we can all argue to death over what aggressive means in this instance, but I do believe the Orioles most likely made offers to some of those pitchers, just they weren't willing to go to the lengths it took to get them.

Whether that's because of financial restraints put on by ownership or Elias' risk aversion to multi-year contracts is what's unknown.

Ditto! Saying your aggressive but failing to close a deal means you failed

21 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I call BS on this line in particular. I don't think Bowden has any definitive proof or inside information confirming that the Orioles aggressively pursued second and third tier starting pitching. The simple law of averages says they would have landed at least one of them if that was the case. Kyle Gibson isn't a second tier pitcher, he's a fourth tier pitcher. 

Orioles fans are probably disappointed the team didn’t land a bigger-name starting pitcher, but it wasn’t because of a lack of effort. Baltimore’s front office was aggressive in trying to sign second- and third-tier starting pitchers in free agency 

21 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I call BS too. Jim Bowden is essentially a used car salesman in an expensive suit. He's also a scumbag. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/fanho-jim-bowden-accused-of-skimming-money-allotted-for-signing-prospects/1839840/

@owknows I get it, you don't like me. And I largely think your contrarian takes are primarily designed for trolling purposes. Agree to disagree, but can we at least put this spite level of downvoting nearly all of my posts (like the above) to rest? 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

@owknows I get it, you don't like me. And I largely think your contrarian takes are primarily designed for trolling purposes. Agree to disagree, but can we at least put this spite level of downvoting nearly all of my posts (like the above) to rest? 

I have never downvoted a post in my 19+ years on the site, but honestly, that second post is pretty bad for two reasons.  First, it’s against board rules that prohibit name-calling.  Second, whatever unethical thing Bowden may have done as GM of the Nats has nothing to do with his knowledge of what the Orioles have done this winter.  So, the name-calling is particularly gratuitous.   I’ve got no problem with you as a poster, but that wasn’t your finest hour.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1