Next Friday (1/13) is the deadline to exchange arbitration figures

Frobby

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

So what?   Like I said, there are plenty of arbitrations scheduled for less money than that, or the same.

Rays - Colin Poche $125 k

Cards - Genesis Cabrera $165 k

Rays - Ryan Thompson $200 k

Rays - Jason Adam $225 k

Mariners - Diego Castilla $275 k

Angels - Luis Rengifo $300 k

Nats - Victor Robles $300 k

It’s got nothing to do with the team being cheap.  It’s a matter of the team and the player disagreeing about his value.  Who’s to say it isn’t the player being greedy?

Voth is an interesting case.  MLBTR estimated him at $2 mm, which is what he’s asking for.  Cot’s estimated him at $1.55 mm, which is below what the O’s are offering.  His arbitration value is based on his whole career to this point and his entire 2022 campaign, but his 4 months with the Orioles were significantly better than that.  I could see his case going either way.  Fine with me if they end up compromising, fine with me if they don’t.  He’s not that important of a player.  

One injury to a starter and he becomes more important.

But I can see the O's point.   He was drowning in Washington. The O's threw him a life line, showed him how to use his stuff, gave him a better defense to make him successful and now he wants to argue over 300K.   

The O's normally don't lose these cases.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

One injury to a starter and he becomes more important.

But I can see the O's point.   He was drowning in Washington. The O's threw him a life line, showed him how to use his stuff, give him a better defense to make him successful and now he wants to argue over 300K.   

The O's normally don't lose these cases.

I’d say it’s better than 50/50 that it settles.   Usually I do a pretty deep dive on the Arb cases and give my opinion, but for a $300 k differential, it’s a coin flip IMO.

I’m doing write ups on the bigger Arb cases around MLB in the MLB forum, if anyone’s interested.  https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/47017-the-big-arbitration-cases-2023/