MLB Execs: Gunnar is the favorite for Rookie of the Year

Frobby

This kind of goes in the “piling on” category, but MLB.com published an article in which they polled baseball execs as to who would be the Rookies of the Year in 2023.   Gunnar won the AL vote overwhelmingly, with 73% of the vote.  Looks to me like 32 execs participated in the poll.  
https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/2023-rookie-of-the-year-mlb-front-office-selections?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to also join the hype train, but I think Gunnar is really going to be a special player and combined with Adley they are going to be quite the duo. Obviously you need more then just that to win look at the Angels who have what many consider two of the top five players in MLB. 

The Angels haven't just not made the playoffs with Trout and Ohtani, they haven't even finished any season above .500!  Admittedly Ohtani didn't really start peaking until 2021 and Trout has been injured at times, but the Angels have wasted their talent in a big way by not building a team around them. 

43 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't mean to also join the hype train, but I think Gunnar is really going to be a special player and combined with Adley they are going to be quite the duo. Obviously you need more then just that to win look at the Angels who have what many consider two of the top five players in MLB. 

The Angels haven't just not made the playoffs with Trout and Ohtani, they haven't even finished any season above .500!  Admittedly Ohtani didn't really start peaking until 2021 and Trout has been injured at times, but the Angels have wasted their talent in a big way by not building a team around them. 

Luckily we have a lot of talent around our best guys with more to come. 2024 is going to be very special and the start of well, the best window of opportunity for a World Series we've seen in a long, long time. Perhaps Gunnar makes the final out to seal the world series just as Cal did. Maybe 2023 will be more special than we realize!

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The pipeline is officially here,

2022 - Adley, Gunnar, Stowers

2023 - Gunnar, GR, Hall, Westburg, Cowser

2024 - Norby, Ortiz, Mayo

2025 - Holliday 

We just have to buy the SP. 

Dare I say “the Calvary”?!?

(ducks head as hangouters begin to throw sharp objects)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The pipeline is officially here,

2022 - Adley, Gunnar, Stowers

2023 - Gunnar, GR, Hall, Westburg, Cowser

2024 - Norby, Ortiz, Mayo

2025 - Holliday

We just have to buy the SP. 

Agreed we'll need TOR arms.  But SP cupboard's not completely barren either.  

A ton of injury risk with this group, but there's also solid upside:

2024 - Povich, Rom, Brnovich - '23 will be a key year for the development of these guys.  I think Povich can be a strong mid-rotation guy.  Rom/Brnovich are likely backend or bullpen guys.

2025 - Johnson, Baumler - please just get/stay healthy!  Two more solid mid-rotation potentials.

The part two is up as well:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-front-office-selections-top-prospects?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Not a ton here, other than that he was far and away the best position prospect.  GRod was number two for best pitching prospect.

Surprising to me, Adley tied Bryce Harper as the best Amateur prospect you've seen.  (Bundy also received votes)

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

Dare I say “the Calvary”?!?

(ducks head as hangouters begin to throw sharp objects)

I think "Artillery" (for the expected combination of hard-hit liners and long-distance lobs) or "Infantry" (for their large number and wear-down-opponents potential) would be better, as well as avoiding misspellings of Biblical proportions.

ROY was part one of a four-part series. The second article is another poll of execs about the prospects. MLB front office selections top prospects

O's represented in the categories are:

• Best Hitting Prospect: Gunnar 1st w/ 41%, Jackson Holliday in 3-way tie for 5th w/ 6%
  • Best Pitching Prospect: GRod is 2nd w/ 26% behind Painter w/ 34%
  • Best Defensive Prospect: Joey Ortiz was in the Also Received Votes group
  • Best Baseball IQ-Holliday 4th w/ 6%
  • Best Future Closer: D.L.  3rd w/ 12%
  • Most Underrated Prospect: 26 prospects received votes. Basallo, Norby, and Ortiz were in the Also Received Votes group
  • Sadly, the O's were shutout in the Most Overrated Prospect category
  • Best Amateur Prospect You Have Ever Seen: Adley was 2nd w/ 13%. Bundy was in Also Received Votes.

The Tools survey is scheduled for Wednesday and the Farm Systems survey is slated for Thursday.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think "Artillery" (for the expected combination of hard-hit liners and long-distance lobs) or "Infantry" (for their large number and wear-down-opponents potential) would be better, as well as avoiding misspellings of Biblical proportions.

One of my friends used to be a Catholic School teacher in StL and one of her students (I think it was 4th grade) asked her why Jesus was crucified in Calgary.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

This kind of goes in the “piling on” category, but MLB.com published an article in which they polled baseball execs as to who would be the Rookies of the Year in 2023.   Gunnar won the AL vote overwhelmingly, with 73% of the vote.  Looks to me like 32 execs participated in the poll.  
https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/2023-rookie-of-the-year-mlb-front-office-selections?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

I honestly think Grayson Rodriguez should be number two in this voting. 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed we'll need TOR arms.  But SP cupboard's not completely barren either.  

A ton of injury risk with this group, but there's also solid upside:

2024 - Povich, Rom, Brnovich - '23 will be a key year for the development of these guys.  I think Povich can be a strong mid-rotation guy.  Rom/Brnovich are likely backend or bullpen guys.

2025 - Johnson, Baumler - please just get/stay healthy!  Two more solid mid-rotation potentials.

I really like Carlos Tavera, too. He's a sneaky pick to break out soon. 

• Upvote 1