Lawsuit dropped between Angelos parties

Going Underground

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As much as they dislike each other than can find common ground in keeping the masses from seeing the books.

Transparency.

The masses were never going to see the books.   Turning over documents to the opposing party doesn’t make them public.  Maybe if the case had gone to trial, some stuff would have become public then.  But less than 5% of all cases filed go to trial.   

• Upvote 2

Honestly I don’t know why anyone would want to buy a minority interest in the Orioles at this stage.  That would be such an exercise in frustration.  I guess it could be a decent investment financially because franchise values only go up, but I wouldn’t want to tie up my money in any enterprise controlled by the Angelos family.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I don’t know why anyone would want to buy a minority interest in the Orioles at this stage.  That would be such an exercise in frustration.  I guess it could be a decent investment financially because franchise values only go up, but I wouldn’t want to tie up my money in any enterprise controlled by the Angelos family.  

Did you see in the MASN dispute that the City of Baltimore filed an amicus brief on January 12,2023 , that stated if the Orioles lost the case that they might no longer be a viable franchise going forward in Baltimore? I had trouble trying to copy the brief.

NYS Court-PASS Counsel Filing
https://courtpass.nycourts.gov/Docket

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Did you see in the MASN dispute that the City of Baltimore filed an amicus brief on January 12,2023 , that stated if the Orioles lost the case that they might no longer be a viable franchise going forward in Baltimore? I had trouble trying to copy the brief.

NYS Court-PASS Counsel Filing
https://courtpass.nycourts.gov/Docket

That’s a crock, and absolutely irrelevant to the legal issue.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Would only make sense to me if they had option to buy majority of it later on. Similar to how Bisciotti bought the Ravens. He gave Modell a much needed infusion of cash, he wins the Super Bowl, keeps team for a couple more years and then sells the rest. 

John could keep it a little longer and enjoy being an owner and maybe gets lucky and wins a World Series. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:33 AM, Frobby said:

Honestly I don’t know why anyone would want to buy a minority interest in the Orioles at this stage.  

A rich person's vanity.  Branson and Virgin Space.  Musk (who actually does meaningful stuff in space) and Twitter.  Bezos (who managed to put Captain Kirk in space, but not much of anything else) buying the Washington Post.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, Frobby said:

That’s a crock, and absolutely irrelevant to the legal issue.  

Why would the ruling be based on how it hurts Baltimore?

But in a document filed ahead of a crucial appeal for the Orioles in a long-running financial dispute with the Washington Nationals regarding the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, known as MASN, the city floated the possibility that the team’s future in Baltimore could be jeopardized.

“The City is deeply interested in and affected by the outcome of this appeal because this Court’s decision is likely to have a direct impact on the long-term viability of the Baltimore Orioles to remain in Baltimore City,” stated the document, an amicus brief dated Dec. 22 and received Jan. 12 in the New York Court of Appeals.

Filing in MASN case questions Orioles’ ‘long-term viability’ in Baltimore, but mayor ‘confident’ of club’s commitment – Baltimore Sun
https:// dc33ojekrlwcwyfffvdvtu-story.html

Edited by Going Underground

29 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Why would the ruling be based on how it hurts Baltimore?

But in a document filed ahead of a crucial appeal for the Orioles in a long-running financial dispute with the Washington Nationals regarding the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, known as MASN, the city floated the possibility that the team’s future in Baltimore could be jeopardized.

“The City is deeply interested in and affected by the outcome of this appeal because this Court’s decision is likely to have a direct impact on the long-term viability of the Baltimore Orioles to remain in Baltimore City,” stated the document, an amicus brief dated Dec. 22 and received Jan. 12 in the New York Court of Appeals.

Filing in MASN case questions Orioles’ ‘long-term viability’ in Baltimore, but mayor ‘confident’ of club’s commitment – Baltimore Sun
https:// dc33ojekrlwcwyfffvdvtu-story.html

I think this is the mayors/City way of supporting the John Angelos/Orioles. It’s political theatre. 

Here’s something from a piece co-authored by Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic today:

“Under the MLB constitution, a spouse or lineal descendant who inherits a club is subject to 50 percent approval from the other owners…

Approval for a lineal descendant can amount to a rubber stamp, as was the case in May 2017 when the 29 other clubs unanimously approved Chris Ilitch as the new controlling owner of the Tigers, three months after the death of his father, Mike. With the Orioles, a transfer of power already has occurred. John Angelos, as the Orioles’ MLB-designated ‘control person,’ would not need to be approved again, sources said.”

• Like 1