Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I've read it a few times.  What are people saying?  I don't see anything wrong with it.  

He's making a factual point about how financially difficult it would have been to be reliant on ticket sales during the COVID impacted seasons, as opposed to having them fall during a low-cost rebuild. Saying anything that occured with regards to COVID was "lucky", especially regarding the financial well being of the organization he owns, can be viewed as pretty insensitive given the far more significant impacts of COVID. With that said, people going nuts about stuff like this are why we don't get decent access to people like Angelos, or why we get tight, political responses when we do get any media availability.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

He's making a factual point about how financially difficult it would have been to be reliant on ticket sales during the COVID impacted seasons, as opposed to having them fall during a low-cost rebuild. Saying anything that occured with regards to COVID was "lucky", especially regarding the financial well being of the organization he owns, can be viewed as pretty insensitive given the far more significant impacts of COVID. With that said, people going nuts about stuff like this are why we don't get decent access to people like Angelos, or why we get tight, political responses when we do get any media availability.

It’s also why he gets slammed because he’s a tone deaf nimrod.

It’s a dumb comment to make.

Personally, I think everything that revolves around COVID was complete Bs. That said, you have to know your audience and not say something this stupid.  

He’s getting crushed for it, as he should.

And btw, if COVID didn’t really hurt you that bad, why did you use it as a crutch before?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s also why he gets slammed because he’s a tone deaf nimrod.

It’s a dumb comment to make.

Personally, I think everything that revolves around COVID was complete Bs. That said, you have to know your audience and not say something this stupid.  

He’s getting crushed for it, as he should.

And btw, if COVID didn’t really hurt you that bad, why did you use it as a crutch before?

This is also tone deaf. You’re contradicting yourself. 

23 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Basically he is getting interviewed by the people who he signs the paychecks for. He has been the CEO and President of MASN since inception.  The Baltimore media is not tough and this interview is basically an interview with your boss.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not a public figure and I really don’t care.

I loathe f’ing loathe John as well but, but as we all know, this isn’t the place to espouse our personal beliefs about the legitimacy of a global pandemic. I respect your points of view about the ravens and the orioles. 

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/4229156/2023/02/19/orioles-john-angelos-speaks/?source=user_shared_article

Angelos’s quote: “I would say there is not a plan to change the principal ownership or managing partnership structure that we have and there really would be no reason to that I can think of. And I wouldn’t want to do that. We want to see this through.”

Connolly’s take: John Angelos is huge on having a platform and showing that he can revitalize this city. Selling a majority of the team would take away the platform and perhaps his legacy. He’s committed to staying, folks. Even if others become investors, too. That would be a way to be infused with significant cash and not lose his standing as CEO.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://theathletic.com/4229156/2023/02/19/orioles-john-angelos-speaks/?source=user_shared_article

Angelos’s quote: “I would say there is not a plan to change the principal ownership or managing partnership structure that we have and there really would be no reason to that I can think of. And I wouldn’t want to do that. We want to see this through.”

Connolly’s take: John Angelos is huge on having a platform and showing that he can revitalize this city. Selling a majority of the team would take away the platform and perhaps his legacy. He’s committed to staying, folks. Even if others become investors, too. That would be a way to be infused with significant cash and not lose his standing as CEO.

Agreed. He wants to be a hero for Baltimore city and I just want to watch a competitive baseball team. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/orioles-ceo-john-angelos-discusses-camden-lease-ownership-payroll-extensions.html

Orioles CEO/chairman John Angelos met with reporters (including The Baltimore Sun’s Nathan Ruiz and Rich Dubroff of BaltimoreBaseball.com) today to discuss a wide range of topics regarding the franchise, its offseason moves, and the bigger-picture question of the Orioles’ long-term future in Baltimore.

To the latter subject, Angelos reiterated his family’s commitment to the ownership of the Orioles, saying “I would say that there’s not a plan to change the principal ownership or the managing partnership and there would be no reason to.”  While a new minority owner might be brought into the ownership group, Angelos noted that such a move wouldn’t necessarily be unusual, given that some of the original investors in the group “have transitioned out” in the 30 years since Peter Angelos (John’s father) first brought the franchise and become majority owner.

It would be nice if we could attract strategic people who care about Baltimore, who care about the way we’re doing this now, who care about the example Camden Yards set and want to be part of it,” Angelos said.  “That’s not necessary or a requisite, but we’re open to it.  We have no plan to change or transition out of what we have today.”

There may be more that I am unaware of.  But these paragraphs cause me concern.  If the question about the "latter subject" (i.e. "the long-term future in Baltimore) is responded to by stating that the Angelos family remains committed to own the Orioles while new owners may be added, this a non answer as to whether the O's remain in Baltimore.  Further, the third paragraph states "It would be nice" if they would "care about Baltimore".