It seems like another free agent could be signed: who's left that makes sense?

interloper

Elias continues to claim he's still involved in free agency. Perhaps nothing comes of it, but if a player signs here, who actually makes any sense?

Highest Profile Guy Remaining

Jurickson Profar. As a Hays upgrade/platoon, maybe it makes some sense, but it makes the outfield picture kind of unnecessarily crowded when you factor in Stowers, McKenna, and even Frazier. It seems unlikely and again, a little unnecessary, unless there's a trade in the works. 

Starting Pitchers

The crop of SP left don't really make much sense at this point unless they can be added on minor league or split deals. I think the majority of O's fans would rather roll with the current crop than add another guy. Nevertheless, some options: Bundy, Archer, Minor

Relief Pitchers

This is where I think it might make some sense to bring a guy in. I'm not sure if there's room for a ML deal, per se, but it only takes another injury. Britton was my choice, but he doesn't seem to be in the O's plans since they weren't at his last showcase. Other option: Ken Giles. He was hurt the last couple years which included TJS, but he's apparently healthy and when he's healthy, he's been good. Check out his 2019 numbers: 23 saves, 1.87 ERA. Brad Hand is out there, too, although the Twins seem to be closing in on him. 

Infield

I don't know if it matters how many infielders the Orioles have - Elias has shown he will just keep signing infielders. Literally no one here makes any sense, but it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Odor get a minor league deal to be their backup-backup left-handed 2B in the event of a Frazier injury. If only because they seem to hate using Vavra at 2B, lol.

Outfield

Other than Profar, I'd be looking at guys who have CF experience: Odubel Herrera (LHH), Tyler Naquin (LHH and former 2009 O's draft pick), Albert Almora (RHH). 

I dunno! There's not much out there, but I could see a few of these guys making sense on minor league deals. Even then, AAA is pretty crowded. Thoughts? 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect them to pick up a guy or two off the waiver wire that get cut in ST.

That's about the extent of what I'm expecting at this point.

Normally I would agree. And maybe that's what happens. Elias doesn't have to say he's actively pursuing free agents, yet here he is saying exactly that.

“I can’t handicap it,” he said. “Obviously, the list is dwindling, but there are still free agents and those that I would classify as legitimate major league free agents that we’re pursuing. Just don’t know what’s going to happen at this point.”

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm super distracted for the next 38 minutes so I'll just say that's how I think things shake out.

I think there's a very high chance you're correct in the end. 

Mike's definition of "legitimate major league free agents" could definitely be more like "former major leaguers who are not really major leaguers that can be had on minor league deals". 

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would definitely be interested in signing him.  He was really good a couple of years ago and fell off the map. 

He didn't really fall off the map, he just stopped hitting consistently.  Not what we need right now.    Remember, there was a time when we could say Chris Davis was good a couple of years ago.....that didn't end well.  I think Luke Voit has been figured out, and his best days are behind him.  

After all, who would you take playing time from in order for him to play?  Mountcastle?  Or Santander and Rutschman's DH at bats?  I'm not sure he's a good fit for what we need.

10 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

He didn't really fall off the map, he just stopped hitting consistently.  Not what we need right now.    Remember, there was a time when we could say Chris Davis was good a couple of years ago.....that didn't end well.  I think Luke Voit has been figured out, and his best days are behind him.  

After all, who would you take playing time from in order for him to play?  Mountcastle?  Or Santander and Rutschman's DH at bats?  I'm not sure he's a good fit for what we need.

My thought was insurance for Mouncastle on a minor league contract. He is probably waiting for a MLB deal but if he doesn't get one he could fall to us. He could be every day DH/1B at Norfolk to see if he can find his swing.