2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

7 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Elias' comments about the Hicks' signing made me think Cowser would indeed have been up here if not for his own injury. 

Now that he's back I'm hoping for his callup during this next homestand. I think we might see it, and that he might lead off while we wait for Mullins. 

Westburg I also think we'll see soonish, but I don't think the path is as clear.

I agree on Cowser. I actually think the path is clear on Westburg because he's sorely needed on this team.

It's easy to get Westburg at bats because of his versatility, and because the team has so many players struggling (Mateo, Frazier, Mountcastle, McCann). Westburg can easily play 2B and just replace Frazier outright - I really think Elias is too smart to let a poor free agent signing continue to hurt the team. If I'm wrong and Elias is too proud/stubborn to mandate Frazier's benching to Hyde, then Westburg can still play in RF and bump Santander to 1B.

Westburg can also easily DH regularly. Freaking James McCann has gotten way too many starts at DH against lefties - that should at minimum be Westburg at DH every time out. Mateo can't possibly have much more rope left, so Westburg can also play SS ocassionally, although I think SS should be handed over to Joey Ortiz as soon as possible.

Easy to write Westburg into the lineup most days.

Edited by Brooks The Great

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what you are referencing?  I recall him saying something about how they had been looking at Hicks before Mullins' injury.  That to me doesn't indicate that Cowser would have been the choice.

I misspoke a bit-- it wasn't exactly a comment while discussing the Hicks signing. I was referring to, in that interview where he discussed the Hicks signing he said that Cowser had been "building a case towards promotion before his injury."

You could interpret that as generic Elias-speak when being asked about promotions. It might be just that and I am thinking wishfully. I thought the delivery suggested he was close, and likely close enough in a parallel world where he didn't get hurt & Hicks didn't hit free agency. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I misspoke a bit-- it wasn't exactly a comment while discussing the Hicks signing. I was referring to, in that interview where he discussed the Hicks signing he said that Cowser had been "building a case towards promotion before his injury."

You could interpret that as generic Elias-speak when being asked about promotions. It might be just that and I am thinking wishfully. I thought the delivery suggested he was close, and likely close enough in a parallel world where he didn't get hurt & Hicks didn't hit free agency. 

Bet he sad basically the same thing when Grayson got hurt last season.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

3B?  Do you mean 1B and DH?

Cowser and Kjerstad. 

They are both Outfielders. Neither one of them have played 1st base for an extensive period of time. At most, Kjerstad has gotten a few spurratic part time stints at 1st Base in Bowie. But that's about it. He was playing Left field when I was in Bowie, until they made a pinch hitting substation that added a 4th outfielder into the game, so he bumped up to 1st base in the 10th inning.

But they are both OUTFIELDERs. Not a first basemen. If you wish for him to become the first baseman of the future, that would require him to stay in the minor leagues and ACTUALLY PLAY FIRST BASE before he can get the call into Major League Baseball to become the official first baseman.

Just 3 days ago every one was clamoring for O'Hearn and Lester to replace Mountcastle. Today, now they're looking for someone else. So what does that tell you? A who's the next poster boy name on the minor league list that people suddenly think will magically become Eddy Murray at the drop of a hat?

The only other 1st basement in the minors that the Orioles have who could potentially (notice I say POTENTIALLY) contribute right now is Lewin Diaz.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bet he sad basically the same thing when Grayson got hurt last season.

We'll never know, but I think it's likely true that Grayson was within weeks of a promotion when his injury happened. So the comparison doesn't make me doubt that Cowser could come up. 

We'll see. I've thought for a while that Cowser and Westburg would both be up by the end June. It could easily go differently. Just a hunch, with all the variables at play, about how Elias is going to play this hand. 

10 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

McCann DHing today?!?!?!?!  What a freaking joke.  Come on, make some moves, this is ridiculous.  

Who is the other RH bat in the entire organization that would DH versus LH SP?  Only Westburg. 

McCann was brought in for this role. He’s had good ABs as of late. Players just need to produce. This is a good spot here. 

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Mountcastle SHOULD sit more often.  But the solution isn't to replace him with McCann, the solution is to bring up a better bat from the minors.  

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I do want him to sit... but not against lefties.  That's when you should be playing him at this point.  

I don't disagree, hence the "OH Monkey's Paw" comment.

The monkey's paw gives you exactly what you wish for. It also gives you something you didn't.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who is the other RH bat in the entire organization that would DH versus LH SP?  Only Westburg. 

McCann was brought in for this role. He’s had good ABs as of late. Players just need to produce. This is a good spot here. 

I thought McCann was brought up to be the backup catcher, give Adley 40 or so games off from behind the plate, bring some experience to work with our pitchers and not be a total black hole in the lineup should Adley get injured. I never dreamt that that plan was for him to DH vs. Left handers. Other than service time, why is Westburg not up here? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if Mountcastle is banged up. Doesn't make sense otherwise. Hyde is never one to miss a platoon matchup.

Hopefully something like that. 1.017 OPS vs lefties... if you're going to play him, now is the time to do it. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It doesn't HAVE to be a RH bat, unless you are tied to the idea that left on left never works.  Colton Cowser, for example, has a 1.065 OPS against RH pitchers BUT a 1.125 OPS against lefties.  Now I know it's a small sample size and minor league numbers, but it doesn't HAVE to a only a RH bat that we are talking about.