Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

Interesting to go back in this thread to middle of April and read all the posts bashing Cowser as a prospect.  I think he read Hangout posters bashing his lego obsession and went on an angry tirade w/ the bat.  I'm starting to think Elias knows what he's doing. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is Cowser's fielding good enough to be a backup CF, making McKenna redundant?

Yes, he can backup CF without being an issue. He's not coming up here until he has an everyday job though so i doubt McKenna is his competition right now.

About 5-6 more weeks until the Super two date passes in mid June. Stowers isn’t really doing anything with his opportunities. Cowser should be an option for the big club soon. 

MLB pipeline has him #33 right now, just from slotting up with attrition of players graduating. When places adjust their lists how high will he rank?  Top 20?

Cowser and/or Westburg/Ortiz give me hope that we can close the gap in offensive talent between us Tampa and the Braves (teams that I consider to be above/better than us) who we will need to beat probably at some point in October. I am hopeful that as June comes Elias will decide to pull the trigger and bring 2 of the 3 up. Of course it will take a period of acclimation (most likely) like it has taken Grayson and Gunnar. But I believe that the talent will eventually prevail. It would be nice to be at the strongest version of ourselves (whatever that might be) come the Fall.

56 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Cowser and/or Westburg/Ortiz give me hope that we can close the gap in offensive talent between us Tampa and the Braves (teams that I consider to be above/better than us) who we will need to beat probably at some point in October. I am hopeful that as June comes Elias will decide to pull the trigger and bring 2 of the 3 up. Of course it will take a period of acclimation (most likely) like it has taken Grayson and Gunnar. But I believe that the talent will eventually prevail. It would be nice to be at the strongest version of ourselves (whatever that might be) come the Fall.

I agree this could close the offensive talent gap, but we don't have any starting pitching in the minors to bring up.  And starting pitching is also our weakest spot on the major league team.  I really hope Elias trades some of these prospects for a starting pitcher...

5 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree this could close the offensive talent gap, but we don't have any starting pitching in the minors to bring up.  And starting pitching is also our weakest spot on the major league team.  I really hope Elias trades some of these prospects for a starting pitcher...

I'm sure that's part of the plan. But if he goes for a starter pitcher like Eduardo Rodriguez that will not cost a prospect/player like Cowser because of Rodriguez's opt-out. I only see a scenario of Cowser being moved if Elias decides to go big game hunting. And to be honest there aren't that many of those types of starters who are available. 

16 hours ago, deward said:

Making contact against LHP continues to be the big hole in Cowser's game.

This and he seems to struggle with off speed stuff either side. Yesterday Nolin was a crafty lefty and really had the Tides off balance. These are the games I watch closely and realize there is still a learning curve for these hitters, although the numbers look really good