Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

What SSS Mateo and Urias have been doing this for the last couple of years, not to mention Hayes Mullins Santander and even Frazier longer than that

Mateo did it for one year, not a couple of years. Urias I like and he would have had plenty of at bats.

And again, if you trade them, maybe you have their replacements and other guys contributing to the team.

And if they were here, I’m not calling for those guys to be benched. There would be plenty of at bats.

Santander and Hays have a history of poor durability and extremely inconsistent play. Mullins has one season of consistency and another year where he couldn’t hit lefties. 

We need to stop acting like these guys have no issues and deserve 550+ at bats. It’s factually wrong and that has been proven over the course of their careers.

And what Frazier did pre AS break 2021 is pretty irreverent given his age, his decline over his last 1000 at bats and the idea that MIers historically decline in their low 30s.

9 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it, dont call guys up no they have called guys up this year including Cano, Bauman, Vavra and Stowers and Ortiz among others. Cano seized his  opportunity he has overperformed. he gets more chances Thats upgrading with something that is better. Plugging Stowers in to take ABs from Santander or Westburg to time away from Urias Mateo And even Frazier is fixing some thats not broken

Apples and oranges.  Vavra, Baumann and Stowers were on the OD roster and all played last year.  Baumann and Vavra are fringe 25-man guys.  I've always been a bit bearish on Stowers because of the high K-totals, but sure would have been nice last year to give him some ABs that instead went to Jesus Aguilar for some reason.

Cano is a very unique case, in just about every way.  What a find he has been.

I wouldn't even call Ortiz a call-up.  Obviously in the technical term it was but he came up, had some good ABs, and then right back down.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am enjoying what Elias has created.   24-13 team.   A half dozen players knocking on the door at AAA.    Just beat the Rays 2 out of three.  2nd lowest payroll in baseball.   No long term commitments.   While the Yankees struggle.   The sun in shining.   

I read the complaints on the site and laugh.   Because the reality Elias has created is so much better than the complaints.   The major league team is doing great.  The drafting is amazing.   The player development pulls a Cano out of  nowhere.   The international  system is coming along.  

Some want to complain about the starting pitching but they just ripped off 6 good starts vs the Braves and Rays.    The last time I felt this good about the team was 2014, or maybe 1997, no probably 1983.

Could not have been said better it was not 2014 could have been 1997 or 1983 but in the context of what going to work long you have to go back farther, to the 70s and 60s that they had a pipeline like this

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

All I know is, I’d rather have this problem than have to wonder who we can pull out of A ball to replace Luis Matos.

I see you found a way back to Fiorentino! ;)

As for Cowser, it's hard not to find a way to get him some ABs up here at some point. Stowers has really struggled of late and Vavra is just an extra bench guy. Now, I don't want Cowser riding the bench like Vavra so I'm fine with him in that role overall, but I do think he could replace Stowers and be that corner outfield guys that mixes in with Santander and Hays between LF, RF and DH against righties. Obviously rutschman is going to get his DH time too, but there should be plenty of at bats for him if they want to get him those. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Apples and oranges.  Vavra, Baumann and Stowers were on the OD roster and all played last year.  Baumann and Vavra are fringe 25-man guys.  I've always been a bit bearish on Stowers because of the high K-totals, but sure would have been nice last year to give him some ABs that instead went to Jesus Aguilar for some reason.

Cano is a very unique case, in just about every way.  What a find he has been.

I wouldn't even call Ortiz a call-up.  Obviously in the technical term it was but he came up, had some good ABs, and then right back down.

Not apples to oranges Cano is a unique case to Vavra and Stowers because he performed. They both opened on the 26 yes but were sent down and CALLED UP as per my post This team is now to good to learn at the major league level unless your name is Henderson or Rodriguez.

24 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it, dont call guys up no they have called guys up this year including Cano, Bauman, Vavra and Stowers and Ortiz among others. Cano seized his  opportunity he has overperformed. he gets more chances Thats upgrading with something that is better. Plugging Stowers in to take ABs from Santander or Westburg to time away from Urias Mateo And even Frazier is fixing some thats not broken

If Stowers was 28 for 28 with 15 home runs, I'm sure he'd be playing, yes. 

Pitching is not quite the same thing as hitting, and what Cano has done is literally historic.

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Does he? Frazier is top 5 in WAR on a team that's 24-13 and just outscored the two best teams in baseball. Highly unlikely any of the Norfolk infielders would outperform Mateo and Urias to date. Highly unlikely Cowser outperforms Santander, Mullins or Hays to date. Grayrod and Gunnar are far better prospects than anyone in Norfolk right now and have both struggled so far this season. It was smart of Elias to start the season how we have. It's impossible to argue otherwise. 

the fact that Frazier is 5th on this team in rWAR really shows the limitations of that metric. I once was a pretty big proponent of WAR but better metrics are out there like WOBA for hitting and OOA for fielding. How Frazier is worth 0.6 oWAR with a 91 OPS+, a .307 WOBA (.316 is mlb average) as well as 0.4 dWAR when is OAA is -3 tells me there equation needs to be adjusted. 

Do you really think he's the 5th most important Oriole this season? 

rWAR really gives too much weight to walks and strike outs, two areas where he does do well in because there's nobody with an ounce of sence that thinks he's the 5th most valuable Orioles on this team this year. 

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am enjoying what Elias has created.   24-13 team.   A half dozen players knocking on the door at AAA.    Just beat the Rays 2 out of three.  2nd lowest payroll in baseball.   No long term commitments.   While the Yankees struggle.   The sun in shining.   

I read the complaints on the site and laugh.   Because the reality Elias has created is so much better than the complaints.   The major league team is doing great.  The drafting is amazing.   The player development pulls a Cano out of  nowhere.   The international  system is coming along.  

Some want to complain about the starting pitching but they just ripped off 6 good starts vs the Braves and Rays.    The last time I felt this good about the team was 2014, or maybe 1997, no probably 1983.

I wish more people felt this way.  Enjoy what we have. It’s fair to criticize- I’m no Pollyanna type - but around here it gets over the top. You’d think this was White Sox Hangout based on the mood a lot of times. 

I mean sure we’re 24-13, third best record in the majors. But Adam Frazier is ruining it!!!!

The criticism that Elias gets - and again, not saying he’s above SOME criticism - is just not indicative of how his team and the organization overall are performing. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If Stowers was 28 for 28 with 15 home runs, I'm sure he'd be playing, yes. 

Pitching is not quite the same thing as hitting, and what Cano has done is literally historic.

28 for 28? Of course How bout 8 for 28 with 2 home runs truly Historic yes did not have to be half what he has done and thats why he is getting way more play

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I wish more people felt this way.  Enjoy what we have. It’s fair to criticize- I’m no Pollyanna type - but around here it gets over the top. You’d think this was White Sox Hangout based on the mood a lot of times. 

I mean sure we’re 24-13, third best record in the majors. But Adam Frazier is ruining it!!!!

The criticism that Elias gets - and again, not saying he’s above SOME criticism - is just not indicative of how his team and the organization overall are performing. 

Can't speak for everyone, I know that I'm extremely pleased at what the Orioles have done/are doing.

I have said, for the past 3-4 years, I was really impressed with Elias and confident that, in time, he would build a winning organization.   I think the drafting and development system he has helped create has to be among the best in the league and it's extremely fun to watch.

I also felt that he was unnecessarily prolonging the rebuilding, that we could have been better faster than what he was allowing for.  He has continued to slow-play promotions to the major league level.  And I'm not really that impatient of a guy, but when you give continued opportunities to the Roughned Odors and Jesus Aguilars of the world it can be very difficult to watch.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Not apples to oranges Cano is a unique case to Vavra and Stowers because he performed. They both opened on the 26 yes but were sent down and CALLED UP as per my post This team is now to good to learn at the major league level unless your name is Henderson or Rodriguez.

OK, so you agree with the assertion that I made earlier, that if the MLB team is performing well there should be no callups from the minors.  I just want to know where the line is drawn with some.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo did it for one year, not a couple of years. Urias I like and he would have had plenty of at bats.

And again, if you trade them, maybe you have their replacements and other guys contributing to the team.

And if they were here, I’m not calling for those guys to be benched. There would be plenty of at bats.

Santander and Hays have a history of poor durability and extremely inconsistent play. Mullins has one season of consistency and another year where he couldn’t hit lefties. 

We need to stop acting like these guys have no issues and deserve 550+ at bats. It’s factually wrong and that has been proven over the course of their careers.

And what Frazier did pre AS break 2021 is pretty irreverent given his age, his decline over his last 1000 at bats and the idea that MIers historically decline in their low 30s.

Mateo one year you might want to look that up.Mullins is hitting lefties this year why do want to keep ridding of your best players? Santander and Hays have not hurt this year

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Mateo one year you might want to look that up.Mullins is hitting lefties this year why do want to keep ridding of your best players? Santander and Hays have not hurt this year

Really? What other year did Mateo do well at the ML level?

You are judging things now, in a SSS. I was talking about the offseason and what they have been their entire careers.

Oh and Hays has missed time due to injury.

Edited by Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, vab said:

I don't see them bringing Cowser up until he has a clear shot at regular ABs but Hays, Santander and Mullins better stay off the IL. Once he gets in, he might not come back out. 

I don't see Cowser as a everyday major league CF.   He does not have Mullins range as far as I have read and seen.   Cowser has some speed and can probably play LF or RF in Camden Yards.  JMO.