Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What is he learning at this point?

When was the last time we had a prospect making this good of a case for promotion and not really having an obvious player to replace?  Do we bring him up to replace McKenna's spot?  

Its a great problem to have.  

The spot for regular ABs is the spot that Varva, Stowers, and O’Hearn have occupied. If you take all of those ABs and give them to him, you have a regular player.

At first I didn’t agree with Elias approach to handling our AAA who are clearly ready but now I kind of think I see some logic. 

If you believe that it takes most guys “an acclimation period” to the bigs, including the very best (like what Gunnar has gone through and what Adley went through last year). Then it makes sense to only break in 1 of those guys at a time because a competitive lineup cannot afford to carry multiple guys at a time like that.

Now that Gunnar appears to be turning a corner, it will probably be time in a little while to bring up the next guy that he believes is a long term piece (probably Cowser who is the most talented of the AAA bunch). 

However, I believe that there is another strategy to holding guys down a little longer and allowing them to kill it at AAA. The guys who you plan to move via trade retain maximum value this way as well. We know that there is no way for there to be enough spots on the Orioles for all of them to make it here. So for some they may be given opportunities and find success in other places. And that’s ok, as long as we maximize their value even if that’s through trade.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

When was the last time we had a prospect making this good of a case for promotion and not really having an obvious player to replace?  Do we bring him up to replace McKenna's spot?  

Its a great problem to have.  

I think it’s pretty obvious.  Cowser replaces Stowers.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think it’s pretty obvious.  Cowser replaces Stowers.

I agree Stowers could be replaced.  But Stowers gets no playing time.  Do we want to bring Cowser up and have him warm the bench like Stowers?   I really dont.  I think Cowser deserves a month of steady playing time playing at least 5 out of 7 games.   Will they give Cowser that?

18 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I agree Stowers could be replaced.  But Stowers gets no playing time.  Do we want to bring Cowser up and have him warm the bench like Stowers?   I really dont.  I think Cowser deserves a month of steady playing time playing at least 5 out of 7 games.   Will they give Cowser that?

Stowers has gotten regular starts for about 10 days now.  He’s so cold, they gave O’Hearn some time.   Cowser could get 4 starts a week.  Stowers should go down and Ortiz should replace one of Vavra or O’Hearn.

Stowers has started 7 of the last 11 games.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Would be nice of Stowers to hit a bit so he had some trade value when they move him for Cowser.  Cowser is Joey Votto with, unfortunately, more strikeouts.  

If Cowser gives us 90% of Joey Votto, I take that all day every day!

• Like 1

1st in league OBP now.     

With Angels recent rotation changes, it looks like we happen to catch R-R-R-L from them.     Next weekend in Toronto Manoah and Gausman look like they lead off, and Yankee Stadium after that a bad fit.

TEX-CLE-SF-MIL-KC after the next three series with glamorous opponents - that's kind of a cut of the jib that says "acclimation".

On 5/13/2023 at 11:14 PM, Gurgi said:

I'm thinking that if Stowers actually produced, he would have gotten more playing time between DH and giving Hays/Santander days off in the field. But just hasn't shown any signs of production.  

• Upvote 2