Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He’s not even allowed to play full games yet. Cowser will need at least two weeks before Elias even considers a promotion. And that’s only if he just crushes it at Norfolk the next two weeks. 

Well to be fair, he has the "crushing it part" already nailed down. The man is hitting almost .350 with an OBP close to .500. I'm not sure how much better that he can do than that.

Kjerstad is getting promoted and Haskins is coming back, that creates some level of backlog, but I don't think it's that big of a deal as Daz Cameron, Shayne Fontana and Ben DeLuzio aren't exactly priority plays and Kjerstad will see some time at 1B as well. When Stowers gets back, that'll cut into it a bit. 

I don't know that Kjerstad's promotion is a sign Cowser is getting the call, but if he continues to hit well for a few more games, we could see him called up maybe for the weekend series. I will be surprised if Cowser gets the call right now, but while I don't expect a call for this weekend either, I don't think I would be surprised if we see him when the team gets back home. 

• Upvote 1

Today's BA podcast (about fantasy ranking updates for context) had some Cowser discussion.  Some scouts (plural) they discussed with about Cowser have moved him over Grayson (I imagine that says as much about Grayson's struggles as it does about Cowser's development).  They feel he's got enough speed to stick in CF, puts together good ABs (that brings power/OBP/contact skills), and mentioned his hitting LHP has improved.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Today's BA podcast (about fantasy ranking updates for context) had some Cowser discussion.  Some scouts (plural) they discussed with about Cowser have moved him over Grayson (I imagine that says as much about Grayson's struggles as it does about Cowser's development).  They feel he's got enough speed to stick in CF, puts together good ABs (that brings power/OBP/contact skills), and mentioned his hitting LHP has improved.

Thanks for sharing.

I feel like that reflects more on how undeniable a 1.100 OPS at AAA is.

I think you could say Cowser is just below the borderline top-10 position players like Druw Jones and Pete Crow-Armstrong, which would put him top-15 overall. If Grayson is just below that tier, he's still in the mix for top-5 pitcher/top-20 overall.

17 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Thanks for sharing.

I feel like that reflects more on how undeniable a 1.100 OPS at AAA is.

I think you could say Cowser is just below the borderline top-10 position players like Druw Jones and Pete Crow-Armstrong, which would put him top-15 overall. If Grayson is just below that tier, he's still in the mix for top-5 pitcher/top-20 overall.

Pretty close, BA now has him at 16 on the top 100 list they put out today. Pretty wild how far he's climbed after all the doubts people had when he was drafted. Neck and neck with Lawler now (BA has Lawler at 15). I know it's just a meaningless list, but it's still nice to see.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, deward said:

Pretty close, BA now has him at 16 on the top 100 list they put out today. Pretty wild how far he's climbed after all the doubts people had when he was drafted. Neck and neck with Lawler now (BA has Lawler at 15). I know it's just a meaningless list, but it's still nice to see.

That’s extremely nice to hear.  

2 hours ago, deward said:

And Grayson at 17. So not so much a precipitous fall by GRod as a meteoric rise by Colton.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

These postponements in Norfolk are not good for Cowser.  I wonder if they decide to send him somewhere else to play if it looks like they won’t play in Scranton these next few days to get bats before they call him up.  

The smoke in the air is affecting the majority of the East Coast from North Carolina all the way up in Canada, as well as the Midwest. It's possible MiLB will be canceling alot more games depending on what happens. Forecasters are saying the smoke is pretty bad and could be disruptive.

38 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The smoke in the air is affecting the majority of the East Coast from North Carolina all the way up in Canada, as well as the Midwest. It's possible MiLB will be canceling alot more games depending on what happens. Forecasters are saying the smoke is pretty bad and could be disruptive.

Sorry y'all are going through that. We've experienced enough smoky skies out here the last few years to last a lifetime or two. Hope winds clear the skies and rains end the fires soon.