Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

McLain was a fellow 2021 college bat tearing up the IL even a bit more than Cowser.    Like Cowser he pulled a bonus between $4.5mm and $5mm.     He is about 8 months older.     

And, he’s a SS.  The Reds’ shortstop, Jose Barrero,  has a .618 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR.  McLain’s SLG in AAA (.710) is 92 points higher than entire OPS!  So, this seems an easy move. 

Mark Vientos like Matt McLain was one of the very few International League bats outhitting Cowser and Westburg.    If all these guys are good enough to stay up, they are also some of the players who after the 2025 season will have 2.135, 2.130, 2.125 days of service, etc. for Super 2 rating purposes.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Mark Vientos like Matt McLain was one of the very few International League bats outhitting Cowser and Westburg.    If all these guys are good enough to stay up, they are also some of the players who after the 2025 season will have 2.135, 2.130, 2.125 days of service, etc. for Super 2 rating purposes.

I think a key line in this tweet is “as the Mets seek to escape this dreadful start.”  They’ve got two 34-year old corner outfielders, Starling Marte and Mark Canha, who are OPSing .582 and .676 respectively.  And, the Mets are floundering, 10th in the NL in runs scored.  So, there’s more of an incentive for the Mets to make a move than for the Orioles to call up Cowser.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think a key line in this tweet is “as the Mets seek to escape this dreadful start.”  They’ve got two 34-year old corner outfielders, Starling Marte and Mark Canha, who are OPSing .582 and .676 respectively.  And, the Mets are floundering, 10th in the NL in runs scored.  So, there’s more of an incentive for the Mets to make a move than for the Orioles to call up Cowser.  

In May, the Os are…

17th in runs

16th in wOBA

14th in wRC+

18th in OBP

24th in BA

14th in slugging 

16th in OPS

I think there is incentive.

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

No reason he can’t fill the role Stowers should have played. With Santander getting reps at 1B, it all makes sense for Cowser to be up in the next few weeks. 

I wonder if they're less inclined to bring up Cowser and Westburg because unlike a Stowers and Vavra, they don't intend to option them. Once certain guys are up, they're up.