Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

7 hours ago, Yossarian said:

In that same interview, Elias talked about the growing trend for young players to play more than one position defensively.  This makes lineups more versatile and gives players more at bats when they don't have to platoon at just one position.  Young, versatile,  athletic players that can play multiple positions is a good thing,  not a bad thing. 

How's that working out for Henderson defensively so far? 

It sounds like a great concept, and typically versatility is a good thing with players, but I do think when you are developing impact players that they really need to mainly focus on one position if the team envision that being his main position. 

I'm just not sold on taking your Henderson's and Holliday's and move them a round a bunch defensively in the minors. Maybe I'm just old school, but I get it for players like Westburg or Norby who are not really great at one position and probably will need to move around to find regular PAs, but for your top guys I like the idea of giving them as much experience at the position you expect them to play as possible.

As for Kjerstad, I do think there's nothing wrong with moving him back and forth between Rf and 1B because those are where his future opportunities will be. Personally, I think he's the future 1B, but he's not awful in RF and can play there in Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

lol it absolutely wasn't a problem for him last year but now that he's had a rough 20ish games it suddenly is? Maybe....just maybe sometimes players struggle and it isn't everyone else's fault. But if you are looking for someone else to blame try Ryan Mountcastle who has been one of, if not the, worst 1B in baseball so far this year. 

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Yossarian said:

In that same interview, Elias talked about the growing trend for young players to play more than one position defensively.  This makes lineups more versatile and gives players more at bats when they don't have to platoon at just one position.  Young, versatile,  athletic players that can play multiple positions is a good thing,  not a bad thing. 

Agreed. Love the concept provided that you can hold your own at multiple positions.

The caveat to this is that you have someone that is a long term guy at a position. For example, I don’t like moving Gunnar around unless it’s absolutely necessary.

But you have to implement this strategy and it’s one of the few things I question Hyde about.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

lol it absolutely wasn't a problem for him last year but now that he's had a rough 20ish games it suddenly is? Maybe....just maybe sometimes players struggle and it isn't everyone else's fault. But if you are looking for someone else to blame try Ryan Mountcastle who has been one of, if not the, worst 1B in baseball so far this year. 

Hey next time you want to discuss things or disagree with me, try doing it without being condescending and disrespectful. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It sounds like a great concept, and typically versatility is a good thing with players, but I do think when you are developing impact players that they really need to mainly focus on one position if the team envision that being his main position. 

I'm just not sold on taking your Henderson's and Holliday's and move them a round a bunch defensively in the minors. Maybe I'm just old school, but I get it for players like Westburg or Norby who are not really great at one position and probably will need to move around to find regular PAs, but for your top guys I like the idea of giving them as much experience at the position you expect them to play as possible.

As for Kjerstad, I do think there's nothing wrong with moving him back and forth between Rf and 1B because those are where his future opportunities will be. Personally, I think he's the future 1B, but he's not awful in RF and can play there in Camden Yards.

Do you think it's because of Mateo playing SS and they want to be able to have Henderson and Holliday in the lineup every day? It remains to be seen if Mateo is the long-term SS, but he doesn't seem to ever be playing another position. So it seems as if he is the SS until he shows he isn't(like if he reverts to the batting stats he had last year).

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree that the positional flexibility has little to do with the Kjerstad, Westburg, or Norby types.  Their value-add is less about the defense and more about finding ways to get their bats in the lineup.  

Finding ways to get bats in the lineup is here to stay as long as they are around league average defensively.  That said, league average is shifting around too.  It happens in LL, HS, college, beer-league, and any professional league.   The list of bat first positions players is pretty impressive (among other adjectives):  Piazza, Soriano, Cap Anson, Frank Howard, Dave Kingman, Frank Thomas, Gary Sanchez, D@r@k J@t@r, Jose Canseco, Manny Ramirez, Greg Luzinski (300 HR career), Bobby Bonilla, Gary Sheffield, and Baltimore's own, 1965 ROY Curt "Clank" Blefary!  

Pedro Guerrero, "Please, God, don't hit it to me."  Tommy LaSorda, "Please, God, don't hit it to Steve Sax."

The fact that we're shuffling around 3 supposedly plus defenders on the left side is the crux of the question.  How they brought up Gunnar allows Baltimore to get ABs for gold glove caliber defenders while Gunnar gets acclimated.  Playing him at SS/3B isn't anything earth-shattering IMO for Gunnar.  In theory, it allows us to get the best match-ups the most ABs.  The strategy has been implemented and is spreading ABs around.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. Love the concept provided that you can hold your own at multiple positions.

The caveat to this is that you have someone that is a long term guy at a position. For example, I don’t like moving Gunnar around unless it’s absolutely necessary.

But you have to implement this strategy and it’s one of the few things I question Hyde about.

What do you mean by "implement this strategy" that's not currently happening?  Or do you mean where the IF doesn't make errors or proof that the IF maximizes the offense?  

2 hours ago, panick said:

Do you think it's because of Mateo playing SS and they want to be able to have Henderson and Holliday in the lineup every day? It remains to be seen if Mateo is the long-term SS, but he doesn't seem to ever be playing another position. So it seems as if he is the SS until he shows he isn't(like if he reverts to the batting stats he had last year).

The Orioles don't seem to know what to do with Mateo and Urias when it coms to long term usage mostly because I'm not sure anyone really knows who they are as players. We do know they played very good defense last year at 3B and SS respectively. Personally, I would have come into this season with Mateo as my SS, Henderson as my 3B and would have moved Urias to 2b. With Ortiz, Westburg and Norby, there was enough depth in AAA to go in that direction. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with Henderson playing both 3B and SS in the minors, but at some point when he hit AAA, I believe they should be focused on where he's going to play mostly. 

I don't think it's terrible that he did, but the struggles throwing can not be helped by bouncing back and forth.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I agree that the positional flexibility has little to do with the Kjerstad, Westburg, or Norby types.  Their value-add is less about the defense and more about finding ways to get their bats in the lineup.  

Finding ways to get bats in the lineup is here to stay as long as they are around league average defensively.  That said, league average is shifting around too.  It happens in LL, HS, college, beer-league, and any professional league.   The list of bat first positions players is pretty impressive (among other adjectives):  Piazza, Soriano, Cap Anson, Frank Howard, Dave Kingman, Frank Thomas, Gary Sanchez, D@r@k J@t@r, Jose Canseco, Manny Ramirez, Greg Luzinski (300 HR career), Bobby Bonilla, Gary Sheffield, and Baltimore's own, 1965 ROY Curt "Clank" Blefary!  

Pedro Guerrero, "Please, God, don't hit it to me."  Tommy LaSorda, "Please, God, don't hit it to Steve Sax."

The fact that we're shuffling around 3 supposedly plus defenders on the left side is the crux of the question.  How they brought up Gunnar allows Baltimore to get ABs for gold glove caliber defenders while Gunnar gets acclimated.  Playing him at SS/3B isn't anything earth-shattering IMO for Gunnar.  In theory, it allows us to get the best match-ups the most ABs.  The strategy has been implemented and is spreading ABs around.  

What do you mean by "implement this strategy" that's not currently happening?  Or do you mean where the IF doesn't make errors or proof that the IF maximizes the offense?  

I mean Hyde and the org aren’t doing it at the ML level.

The amount of positional flexibility might be new, but guys changing position in the major leagues based on club needs isn’t really a new concept.

On Henderson I don’t really buy that that’s the reason for the throwing issues. I think he’s definitely thinking about his throws bc a) he’s made a number of poor ones and b) he’s gotten zero help from our first baseman…which leads to feeling like you have to be more perfect 

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The amount of positional flexibility might be new, but guys changing position in the major leagues based on club needs isn’t really a new concept.

On Henderson I don’t really buy that that’s the reason for the throwing issues. I think he’s definitely thinking about his throws bc a) he’s made a number of poor ones and b) he’s gotten zero help from our first baseman…which leads to feeling like you have to be more perfect 

In Mountcastle's defense he gave Henderson a lot of help on a truly awful throw where he had tons of time and took it and still threw one into the dirt about 5 feet from 1B.   Tough hop and Mountcastle got it.      I do think most of his throwing issues appear to be at 3B compared to SS for whatever reason.

He just got hit by a pitch in Bowie.  Does not look injured.  Walked on down to first seemed not to be in pain. 

Rbi triple in second ab off the wall in left center

Solo homerun in third ab

Edited by Gurgi