Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Let's be honest. There's only been 2 starting pitchers (if we ommit Bradish to injury) that have earned any real confidence right now and that has been Kyle Gibson and Tyler Wells. Everyone else has been spotty at best.

Spotty is charitable.  But, too soon for wholesale changes.  

Yesterday someone other than Grayson Rodriguez led BAL in strikeouts.    Its possible that was the last such day this decade, though I guess any given year a Game 2 or Game 3 Bradish or Means could beat him on the first turn.

The basic result at each level of Rodriguez's ascent through the Minors is he enters a league, and 6-8 starts in K-BB thinks he's the best pitcher in the league.     That won't happen in MLB.     That said, warts and all, including wearing a couple few extra walks when he was left to be tested against MLB Bats in a way he precisely wasn't in the controlled environment of his Minors development, though 3 turns he sits inside the AL's Top 25.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=al&qual=10&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=9,d

Edited by Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta love the competitive spirit, he doesn't cave despite having every reason to do so.  

His first inning issues are bad, they need to figure out a way to help him iron that out.  Would like to see his ERA without the first inning.  

He’s awesome in the second, third and fourth innings. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=rodrigr01&year=2023&t=p

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta love the competitive spirit, he doesn't cave despite having every reason to do so.  

His first inning issues are bad, they need to figure out a way to help him iron that out.  Would like to see his ERA without the first inning.  

Through 3 starts, he has allowed 11 ER.    In 14.1 total innings.   7 of those ER were in the first innings of his starts.

So if you take away the first innings we are down to 11.1 innings with 4 ER.      3.18 ERA overall.    Obviously still in a zone with an incredibly small sample size and stuff could shift a ton from one start to the next.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I always thought guys like this should pitch a simulated inning in the bullpen before the game, then come out and aim for 4-5 good innings. 

• Upvote 2

Love the way he rebounded from the terrible first inning.  But after watching his starts this year, I wonder if he's tipping his pitches.  Seems like I've seen so many times a hitter casually take a nasty slider/cutter just off the plate or a change up that just dips out of the zone at the last minute.  Ben alluded to it during the broadcast yesterday after the Sheets home run; the way he stayed back and his body was right on time for a curveball was unusual.  Grayson doesn't throw many curveballs so it seemed like he either guessed right or Grayson tipped it off by some change in his mechanics or tempo when he throws it.  Even in ST, so so many mediocre hitters look so comfortable on plus stuff across the board.  I could certainly be wrong and it could be mostly command related, but this thought keeps popping in my head when watching his starts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Otter said:

Love the way he rebounded from the terrible first inning.  But after watching his starts this year, I wonder if he's tipping his pitches.  Seems like I've seen so many times a hitter casually take a nasty slider/cutter just off the plate or a change up that just dips out of the zone at the last minute.  Ben alluded to it during the broadcast yesterday after the Sheets home run; the way he stayed back and his body was right on time for a curveball was unusual.  Grayson doesn't throw many curveballs so it seemed like he either guessed right or Grayson tipped it off by some change in his mechanics or tempo when he throws it.  Even in ST, so so many mediocre hitters look so comfortable on plus stuff across the board.  I could certainly be wrong and it could be mostly command related, but this thought keeps popping in my head when watching his starts.

I definitely noticed similar things. Hitters were getting to pitches that normally they shouldn’t. In a couple of instances it looked like the hitters could tell where Adley was setting up (outside). 

• Upvote 1

saw a tweet from Matt Eddy saying that since Grayson was called up within 20 days of opening day he's credited with MLB service time for the days spent in AAA AND the Os are still eligible for a draft pick for ROY, if it happens.

granted he ain't pitching like a ROY, but nice to have that option still available

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nvpacchi said:

saw a tweet from Matt Eddy saying that since Grayson was called up within 20 days of opening day he's credited with MLB service time for the days spent in AAA AND the Os are still eligible for a draft pick for ROY, if it happens.

granted he ain't pitching like a ROY, but nice to have that option still available

That's interesting.  I've never seen the 20 days of opening day thing before.