Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So while his return to AAA is encouraging, I don’t really care about it until he’s back in Baltimore and shown improvement. And yes, that includes being able to repeat his delivery. 

I can’t say I noticed any failure to repeat his delivery in April and May, but then again, I am terrible at analyzing pitching mechanics.  

I agree that minor league success doesn’t guarantee major league success.  But I do think Grayson’s recent AAA performances suggest he’s pitching better than he was when he was called up in April.   I saw him in person and on TV in spring training against some underwhelming lineups and he struggled then, and his one AAA start before his call-up wasn’t very good.   He’s doing much better against that level of competition now.

One other thing, not directed at you but a few of the earlier posts worrying that some of the whiffs shown in the videos were on pitches over the plate.   It’s a myth that major league pitchers have to be perfect and hit the corners on every pitch to be successful.  They just need to do it more of the time than minor league pitchers do.  But plenty of pitches over the plate get swings and misses in the majors.   It depends how they’re moving and how much the batter can lock in on a location.   I can’t watch a whiff highlight video and tell you what pitches a major league hitter would have hit.  Some of them?  Probably.  A lot?  Probably not.  

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

C’mon. 

Blowing away AA and AAA hitters, things can get overlooked. I told you guys that he couldn’t repeat his delivery, it’s all in his follow through. When he was up he couldn’t finish each pitch the same way. Telltale signs of not being able to repeat a delivery. 

Again, I don’t care that he can blow away minor leaguers because he has great raw stuff.  I’m not impressed by swings and misses by guys who are AAAA types.  I mean, striking out Franchy Cordero isn’t a big deal  

So while his return to AAA is encouraging, I don’t really care about it until he’s back in Baltimore and shown improvement. And yes, that includes being able to repeat his delivery. 

His mechanics up here were shaky. We all felt that way. 

I highly doubt it was some major issue pre lat injury.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I can’t say I noticed any failure to repeat his delivery in April and May, but then again, I am terrible at analyzing pitching mechanics.  

I agree that minor league success doesn’t guarantee major league success.  But I do think Grayson’s recent AAA performances suggest he’s pitching better than he was when he was called up in April.   I saw him in person and on TV in spring training against some underwhelming lineups and he struggled then, and his one AAA start before his call-up wasn’t very good.   He’s doing much better against that level of competition now.

One other thing, not directed at you but a few of the earlier posts worrying that some of the whiffs shown in the videos were on pitches over the plate.   It’s a myth that major league pitchers have to be perfect and hit the corners on every pitch to be successful.  They just need to do it more of the time than minor league pitchers do.  But plenty of pitches over the plate get swings and misses in the majors.   It depends how they’re moving and how much the batter can lock in on a location.   I can’t watch a whiff highlight video and tell you what pitches a major league hitter would have hit.  Some of them?  Probably.  A lot?  Probably not.  

Yep. People act like you have to put it low and inside and no where else to get a swing and miss. Pitches down the middle are missed ALL THE TIME. Likely several hittable pitches per half inning have nothing done with them.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. People act like you have to put it low and inside and no where else to get a swing and miss. Pitches down the middle are missed ALL THE TIME. Likely several hittable pitches per half inning have nothing done with them.

At least, when the Orioles are batting…😎

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A good friend of mine pitched in AAA for 6 years then started coaching. I heard him answer the same question dozens of times: "What's the difference in a pitcher who's successful in AAA vs MLB?" "Consistency. Lot's of guys have great stuff. How often can you do it?"

In an interesting development, the Tides pulled Grayson after 3 innings and 56 pitches today.  Makes me wonder if the O’s saw it as a tune-up before being recalled next week, rather than a film-on start.  Or maybe they’re just conserving some innings. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In an interesting development, the Tides pulled Grayson after 3 innings and 56 pitches today.  Makes me wonder if the O’s saw it as a tune-up before being recalled next week, rather than a film-on start.  Or maybe they’re just conserving some innings. 

Hope he's not injured.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Who is going to be sent down for GRod? Can’t send down Cowser with Mullins banged up. Irvin is going to the BP. 

Mountcastle???

Maybe send down Bazardo and stay with 12 pitchers until Perez is ready to return. 

Is he on the Taxi Squad? How many times can they option him this year? I wonder if he’s being recalled just to start tomorrow or if he is taking a spot in the rotation. 

He could be a MAJOR impact for them if he brings the pitch mix that got him back on track in Norfolk. 

If he takes someone’s spot, so be it. I did like the idea floated by @Frobby to rotate GrayRod though the current starters’ spots. Maybe they start him tomorrow also to push Wells back another day. He is a potential upgrade over both Irvin and Gibson.