Rosenthal: Overloaded with star prospects, Orioles need to determine how to escalate the team’s rise

LTO's

17 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The players you mentioned were on an expiring contract on terrible teams. Lopez had a year left and was on a good team so that's why I said he was the most comparable. Someone like Austin Hays or Ramon Urias might be a role player but they aren't in a hurry to trade them clearly because they aren't sure the 50-55FVish prospects they have below him are going to be better in the short term. I don't understand what you aren't getting? If Cowser or Stowers or Vavra came up last year and had a high level of success, I think discussing trading Santander or Hays or Urias would have more merit. There's still a high degree of uncertainty with those players and prospect volatility is a real thing. That's why I don't think anyone should be stressing out about them not trading these "role players" right away. 

Lopez has way more than 1 year left. 

I'll tell you how I would aim to escalate the team's rise... start adding pitchers to the organization.

IMO it's the Achilles heel of the farm system. We have positional prospects out the wazoo. But outside of GRod and Hall (and maybe Povich now), who do we have that is really a prime prospect? Elias needs to address this big time. 

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Well, I think Santander might make a case that he's worthy of paying. That doesn't necessarily mean that the O's, with a system rich in OF prospects that (in theory) are performing this year, should do it. However I wouldn't be shocked if he solidifies his place among the really good (not amazing) hitters in baseball this year and thus in a substantially different category than Urias, Mateo, Vavra, etc.

Sure it’s possible but I don’t see a place for him here long term..unless you just want to pay him to be a DH, which I doubt they do.

Just now, Jagwar said:

I'll tell you how I would aim to escalate the team's rise... start adding pitchers to the organization.

IMO it's the Achilles heel of the farm system. We have positional prospects out the wazoo. But outside of GRod and Hall (and maybe Povich now), who do we have that is really a prime prospect? Elias needs to address this big time. 

The focus on positional talent is the exact focus they should have but they also need to trade for or sign pitchers when they can. 

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree to some extent that we will eventually have to trade for a big boy SP. I think we all underrate Mountcastle a bit. He’s a part of our youth movement. He’s not much older that Adley and Westburg. 

In a perfect world we could trade Mateo and Urias, all while still being in the playoff hunt this trade deadline. At this point, maybe we have to deal them for the best package of lower level minors prospects and then trade some of our upper level prospects for a TOR SP. 

Mateo to the LAD makes a ton of sense, but there’s a thread for that. 

This is truly a fun time to be an O’s fan, and we all deserve it. 

If Mayo shows better plate discipline than Mountcastle, that's all I need to see.  I like Mountcastle, I just don't know if he's a irreplaceable piece.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The focus on positional talent is the exact focus they should have but they also need to trade for or sign pitchers when they can. 

I think you and I are on the same page. Use the organizational depth to infuse the system with talent. IMO adding pitching should be prioritized. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

How do you guys think the Orioles should handle the depth issue that is coming, if it’s not already here?

As this article mentions, the SS of the future is Holliday. It’s not Mateo, Henderson or even Ortiz. 

Henderson is the third baseman. Adley is the catcher.

I feel confident in those 3 positions being as close to certainties as you can have in pro sports, starting no later than 2025.

But what do you do beyond that?

You currently have 3 MiL options for second base in Westburg, Ortiz and Norby. You have all the OF depth.

You know Santander and Hays aren’t likely to be here over the long haul.

You have a decision to make about Mullins. How good do you feel he is 3+ years from now?

For me, I personally look to trade some of the vets.

I still feel that Mayo is the first baseman of the future although I wouldn’t rule out a COF spot.

As I felt this offseason, I don’t see the need to add any IF help, with the potential exception being first base (again depending on Mayo).

To me, Hays, Santander, Mullins, Urias and Mateo all need to be dealt sometime between today and 2 years from now.  I would also likely add Mountcastle to that group as well.

I think the best possible outcome for this team is to be able to trade a prospect here or there and all the vets to bring in high end starters and perhaps a high OFer.

Combine those guys with what we have and I think that’s our best case scenario.

How do you guys want to see it done?  These decisions are coming and they are coming very soon.

I agree, I think some things need to be figured out by the trade deadline this year.  It is time to figure out which infielders are going to stay and who we need to trade.  If we can trade Mateo to the Dodgers before the season starts I am good with that too.  I bolded the part that I have been thinking about recently because everyone has been talking about trading for pitching.  I don't want to trade for a high end OF I want to trade for a high end CF prospect.  After Mullins it seems like we are thin in CF compared to everywhere else especially since it sounds like Cowser would be better in a corner.

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I agree, I think some things need to be figured out by the trade deadline this year.  It is time to figure out which infielders are going to stay and who we need to trade.  If we can trade Mateo to the Dodgers before the season starts I am good with that too.  I bolded the part that I have been thinking about recently because everyone has been talking about trading for pitching.  I don't want to trade for a high end OF I want to trade for a high end CF prospect.  After Mullins it seems like we are thin in CF compared to everywhere else especially since it sounds like Cowser would be better in a corner.

The only CFer we likely have is Fabian. Definitely a guy to watch this year.

41 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

He is.  Bradish, Povich, McDermott, Seth Johnson, Cole Irvin, and more.  All traded for.

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Mayo shows better plate discipline than Mountcastle, that's all I need to see.  I like Mountcastle, I just don't know if he's a irreplaceable piece.  

I want to see how Mayo’s hit tool plays this year.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And Galvis.  

Again not comparable. Same with Givens. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Elias has traded a position player with multiple years of control left in his tenure here. That's what we're talking about with Urias, Mateo, Hays, Mullins, Santander. 

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Again not comparable. Same with Givens. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Elias has traded a position player with multiple years of control left in his tenure here. That's what we're talking about with Urias, Mateo, Hays, Mullins, Santander. 

He traded Yaz. 

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Sorry, I hadn’t read through all the posts that succeeded the one I was responding to.  I was just listing a player Elias has traded.  I agree he’s not comparable to the players you mentioned.  

If we are trying to forecast what Elias may do in the future, I don’t know that the distinction between trading position players and trading pitchers is really meaningful.  I think what Elias’ history has been during the rebuilding phase may not tell us much about what he’ll do now that the team is in a different situation.  If we have a surplus in a spot that can be traded to acquire players in areas where we are short, I think Elias will move if he likes the deal even if the players traded have some years of control remaining.