Rosenthal: Overloaded with star prospects, Orioles need to determine how to escalate the team’s rise

LTO's

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Keep in mind this was when Orioles still had an OTA contract to televise games with local television stations. The reason why HTS only had 90 games was another 50 games would be exclusive to local television. That still left maybe 20 games that didn't get local broadcast coverage unless it was a national television broadcast.

From what I can remember in the late 90's mostly every game was on television and it was maybe a handful of games that weren't televised every season. I guess it's good MASN broadcasts every games, but it would be nice if a local Baltimore television station was able to broadcast a game or two every week.

I remember this. We didn't have cable in my house (we lived out where there weren't cable lines) and couldn't get HTS. So I only got to watch those games on broadcast TV. And then would listen to the other games on the radio. 

15 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I remember this. We didn't have cable in my house (we lived out where there weren't cable lines) and couldn't get HTS. So I only got to watch those games on broadcast TV. And then would listen to the other games on the radio. 

I cut the cord awhile back and only have apple-tv/prime/netflix. Are the O's still broadcast on local channels for a few games?

18 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I cut the cord awhile back and only have apple-tv/prime/netflix. Are the O's still broadcast on local channels for a few games?

Stopped in 2018. WJZ did 20 games in 2017.The amount of games broadcast on local TV was getting less and less.

After 64 years, no lineup of Orioles games will be on Baltimore broadcast TV in 2018 – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/columnists/zurawik/bs-fe-zontv-orioles-masn-wjz-20180327-story.html

On 3/2/2023 at 9:02 AM, Sports Guy said:

Love the attitude of Mayo here:

“I don’t think any position is ever blocked, I really don’t,” said Mayo, 21, the Orioles’ fourth-round pick in 2020. “Of course you’ll have guys who most likely will not get moved, like Adley and Gunnar. But I think if you work hard and you’re hitting and you’re doing what you need to do on defense, a spot will open up for you regardless of where you’re playing.”

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/mayo-making-noise-as-young-orioles-slugger

Mayo doubling down on these comments. “Will do whatever you need me to do..”

You just don’t hear that enough anymore.

Being forced to radio often was probably okay for growing my love of the game.     It was a treat if the game was on Channel 2, and I have some precise memories like Tippy's three pickoffs and the 1986 two grand slams game we still lost on the radio.

The Braves on TBS and Mets on WWOR there were probably a year or two there I saw them more than the Orioles back in the day.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/mayo-making-noise-as-young-orioles-slugger

Yeah I like the sound of that. With his arm, I could really see him having a good future in RF for us. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Westburg and Cowser joining the MLB lineup are the first two changes during 2023, Mayo might race Ortiz for 3rd place with a good enough year.     The Gunnar 2022 was a too good to be true scenario, but if Orioles player development gets Mayo 2023 anywhere near that ballpark he's a candidate for 122 or 127 plate appearances also.

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Being forced to radio often was probably okay for growing my love of the game.     It was a treat if the game was on Channel 2, and I have some precise memories like Tippy's three pickoffs and the 1986 two grand slams game we still lost on the radio.

The Braves on TBS and Mets on WWOR there were probably a year or two there I saw them more than the Orioles back in the day.

Same here, I never had cable growing up. It was treat to watch the game via local tv. Sad, it’s not more accessible to today’s youth and broke young adults.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Same here, I never had cable growing up. It was treat to watch the game via local tv. Sad, it’s not more accessible to today’s youth and broke young adults.

I think it’s a mistake on MLB’s part and one of the many factors why baseball is struggling to gain younger fans.

I’m sure Rob Manfred will argue the game is more accessible then it’s ever been (as long as you pay for it) except it’s not. With more entertainment options baseball needs to get smarter about youth outreach and marketing the game.

I still can remember MLB ad campaigns from the 90’s and I can’t really think of any noteworthy ad campaigns showcasing the stars of today.