Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It sounds like you are very high on Westburg and that’s cool, no problem there from me. I hope that they both succeed as well.

I was pointing out that the age difference matters. Even if Westburg is just as good as Gunnar right now offensively, there is no way that they can be equal as prospects because of the 3 years age difference. The logic being when the younger player is the older player’s age with more experience, they will be a much better player by then. That’s all I was pointing out.

I went back and reread what I posted. Perhaps my wording wasn't exactly what I wanted to say. 

I meant that they both could put up similar numbers on offense. Some, not many, are willing to trade Westburg and he's someone that I'm pretty high on.

Yes, Henderson is an unique prospect because he's so young. We saw with the Cardinals prospect that just because you start the season in the majors it doesn't guarantee anything. I applaud the O's brain trust for sticking with him through some early season struggles...and looking at his recent numbers he seems to be on the verge of breaking out. I think he's going to have a great weekend in Toronto.

17 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I went back and reread what I posted. Perhaps my wording wasn't exactly what I wanted to say. 

I meant that they both could put up similar numbers on offense. Some, not many, are willing to trade Westburg and he's someone that I'm pretty high on.

Yes, Henderson is an unique prospect because he's so young. We saw with the Cardinals prospect that just because you start the season in the majors it doesn't guarantee anything. I applaud the O's brain trust for sticking with him through some early season struggles...and looking at his recent numbers he seems to be on the verge of breaking out. I think he's going to have a great weekend in Toronto.

The Cardinals org is currently in disarray so I want the O’s to do everything opposite of them right now…lol

I understand and respect that you have a specific affinity for Jordan Westburg. I share a different opinion than you in that I’m not wedded to ANY prospect. I want the org to make the decision that they feel best in terms of who stays and who goes because I trust that they know them way better than I ever can. 

I do want the org to use the excess org talent to go get a serious starting pitching upgrade.

This may have been discussed before, but I'm new here so I dont know. That left field wall may chip away at Westburgs value. Camden yards isnt very friendly to right handed power hitters who dont take a lot of walks. Mancini and Mountcastle had issues with it. I'm just saying. That wall is a serious pain in the ass for players like that.

35 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

This may have been discussed before, but I'm new here so I dont know. That left field wall may chip away at Westburgs value. Camden yards isnt very friendly to right handed power hitters who dont take a lot of walks. Mancini and Mountcastle had issues with it. I'm just saying. That wall is a serious pain in the ass for players like that.

Any RH hitter is going to have trouble clearing that wall, but from what I’ve seen, Westburg has all-fields power and isn’t overly reliant on pulling the ball to LF.   So, I don’t think he’ll be impacted more than any other RH hitter.  

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

NuCamden will certainly be an anchor on Westburg to at least some degree, like any RH power hitter, but I worry considerably more about Norby in that regard. I think Westburg is capable of handling it at least as well as Hays.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Any RH hitter is going to have trouble clearing that wall, but from what I’ve seen, Westburg has all-fields power and isn’t overly reliant on pulling the ball to LF.   So, I don’t think he’ll be impacted more than any other RH hitter.  

This.  It seems most of the highlights I see of Westburg he's hitting doubles or homers from alley to alley.  He seems great at staying inside the ball, and I've seen multiple highlights of him taking middle-in pitches to center.  It doesn't seem like he'd have Mountcastle type problems with the wall.

The Orioles need good right handed hitters.   Our lineup can't be 9 guys batting left-handed; it becomes way too exploitable by opposing teams.

Think we have one right handed hitter currently with an OPS above .800 who regularly starts (Hays).   Now thankfully we have some great switch hitters too admittedly.

EDIT - and i think it's worth noting that as much as we talk about guys like Ryan Mountcastle being screwed over by the new wall........  He is hitting better at home so far in 2023.    (and he also hit with ~ 70 more OPS points at home vs on the road in 2022).

Edited by Aglets

1 hour ago, Otter said:

This.  It seems most of the highlights I see of Westburg he's hitting doubles or homers from alley to alley.  He seems great at staying inside the ball, and I've seen multiple highlights of him taking middle-in pitches to center.  It doesn't seem like he'd have Mountcastle type problems with the wall.

That's good to hear.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles need good right handed hitters.   Our lineup can't be 9 guys batting left-handed; it becomes way too exploitable by opposing teams.

Think we have one right handed hitter currently with an OPS above .800 who regularly starts (Hays).   Now thankfully we have some great switch hitters too admittedly.

EDIT - and i think it's worth noting that as much as we talk about guys like Ryan Mountcastle being screwed over by the new wall........  He is hitting better at home so far in 2023.    (and he also hit with ~ 70 more OPS points at home vs on the road in 2022).

I think Mounty has already lost nearly 10 homers already in less than one and a half seasons due to the wall.

1 hour ago, Otter said:

Mountcastle isn't a big time pull hitter.  (I also don't think he's lost 10HR to the wall)

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

How many seasons does Mountcastle have to hit 30 homers to be called a big time power hitter?

He said big time pull hitter, not big time power hitter.  Point is, he’s not always hitting towards the LF wall.  He’s 159th of 168 qualified players in pull %.  

• Upvote 1

I believe Mountcastle needs to learn to pull more to extend his career, Walltimore be damned.

The marketers should just come up with Ryan Red and just let him dot marker the danged LF wall everytime he doubles off its face for as long as they keep him around.

His physical tools are near/past peak, CF fences won't always be so easy to clear, and there are still 81 road games.   

Westburg and others give Elias enough options he might phase someone out this fall - Mateo and Mountcastle are the OBP laggards.    

Mike Elias: Guys, I have to let one of you go...anything you want to share with us before we decide?

Jorge Mateo: I'm a Gold Glove shortstop and lead the league in SB.

Ryan Mountcastle: (pauses) Uh, I'm a free swinger?

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I believe Mountcastle needs to learn to pull more to extend his career, Walltimore be damned.

The marketers should just come up with Ryan Red and just let him dot marker the danged LF wall everytime he doubles off its face for as long as they keep him around.

His physical tools are near/past peak, CF fences won't always be so easy to clear, and there are still 81 road games.   

Westburg and others give Elias enough options he might phase someone out this fall - Mateo and Mountcastle are the OBP laggards.    

Mike Elias: Guys, I have to let one of you go...anything you want to share with us before we decide?

Jorge Mateo: I'm a Gold Glove shortstop and lead the league in SB.

Ryan Mountcastle: (pauses) Uh, I'm a free swinger?

Both Mateo and Mountcastle need to be traded. We have too many prospects who profile to be better hitters at their positions, with Ortiz bringing an elite glove to SS as well. Mountcastle is going to start getting more expensive to retain, so trading him away also fits the approach to payroll Elias has diligently executed ever since he arrived.

If/when Elias starts adding to payroll through extensions, free agent signings, and trades, a flawed player like Mountcastle won't be someone who fits in with his vision and team build moving forward.

Edited by Brooks The Great

6 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Both Mateo and Mountcastle need to be traded. We have too many prospects who profile to be better hitters at their positions, with Ortiz bringing an elite glove to SS as well. Mountcastle is going to start getting more expensive to retain, so trading him away also fits the approach to payroll Elias has diligently executed ever since he arrived.

If/when Elias starts adding to payroll through extensions, free agent signings, and trades, a flawed player like Mountcastle won't be someone who fits in with his vision and team build moving forward.

Curious.  Who is our top prospect who is doing great at 1B in the minors?

I suppose it's possible you mean Kjerstad, although he has nearly as many games in RF so far (12) as he does at 1B (13).