Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

Service time manipulation. For a low spending team it makes little sense to start the clock on an infielder when we have a surplus of infielders right now. They've already decided Ortiz is the next man up to get his shot. Although Ortiz blew it in the limited Plate Appearances he got. 

Ortiz most definitely did not blow it.  

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's so unintentionally funny when you do that or when you use the laugh rep button when you get proven wrong.

You'd honestly be better off just slinking away from the thread.

I’m not proven wrong. It’s just foolish to discuss things with you because you just don’t understand things and I find it amusing.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not proven wrong. It’s just foolish to discuss things with you because you just don’t understand things and I find it amusing.

It's cool man, if you don't mind folks laughing at you when you do that stuff, it doesn't bother me.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think service time manipulation is a factor in the case of Westburg either, but the Super 2 cutoff, which is unknowable right now, has been as late as June 15 in the recent past.  So, it’s not really “safe” to assume that a player promoted in the next 2 weeks wouldn’t qualify as a Super 2.

Will be interesting to see if some of the O's prospects magically become good enough after June 15.  With Cowser's injury and no doubt some rehab and getting back in the routine at AAA, they are probably already past June 15 for him. 

3 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

Service time manipulation. For a low spending team it makes little sense to start the clock on an infielder when we have a surplus of infielders right now. They've already decided Ortiz is the next man up to get his shot. Although Ortiz blew it in the limited Plate Appearances he got. 

Ortiz was on the 40-man already,  he had to be to protect him from the R5 draft last winter. Westburg is not on the 40, because he doesn't HAVE to be until this winter (though I have little doubt he'll be added midseason at some point). That's why Ortiz was the first one up.

Also he most certaintly did not "blow it" in his first 28 major league plate appearances. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

He needs for two of Mateo, Frazier and Urias to have a serious injury or be traded. 

I really hope that he is not one of the prospects dealt at the deadline. He seems like an old school player who produces on all over the diamond on offense and defense. I hope we get to see that with him in an O's uniform. 

RH - Negative for cartoon wall

SS/2B/3B - we trot out GG level defense already with 4 guys in the MLB now. Ortiz doesn’t hurt that. 

Not on the 40 man. 

All this adds up to him likely being dangled the most as he’s having the best AAA performance and is expendable. The other prospects fill holes or line up as replacements for current mlb’ers. 

Cowser - RF

Ortiz - Frazier

Kjerstad - Santa

Mayo - Mountcastle

Holliday - Mateo

Basallo - Adley 😢

So that leaves Westburg, Stowers, Norby, Prieto, Beavers, Fabian, Haskin, Wagner, and Willems, as our trade bait. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

54 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If any of those three are blocking him, then the Orioles suck at talent evaluation. 

They’ve been blocking him all season. The O’s have developed into a good team, so I’d say they don’t suck at talent evaluation.   They may be too conservative with promotions.