Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Both Mateo and Mountcastle need to be traded. We have too many prospects who profile to be better hitters at their positions, with Ortiz bringing an elite glove to SS as well. Mountcastle is going to start getting more expensive to retain, so trading him away also fits the approach to payroll Elias has diligently executed ever since he arrived.

If/when Elias starts adding to payroll through extensions, free agent signings, and trades, a flawed player like Mountcastle won't be someone who fits in with his vision and team build moving forward.

I believe that Mountcastle's long term replacement is going to be Kjerstad. Everyone knows that he is not a 3/4/5 hitter on a championship team. He would be better suited to hit #6. But for right now, we may have to be patient until he can be replaced on moved down in the order (probably not until next year).

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I believe that Mountcastle's long term replacement is going to be Kjerstad. Everyone knows that he is not a 3/4/5 hitter on a championship team. He would be better suited to hit #6. But for right now, we may have to be patient until he can be replaced on moved down in the order (probably not until next year).

Man I hate comments like this.  Everyone knows?

No everyone doesn't.  I bet you could go back and find a championship team with a bat like his hitting in the 3/4/5 slot.

Lineup order isn't important!

Please speak for yourself and not everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Man I hate comments like this.  Everyone knows?

No everyone doesn't.  I bet you could go back and find a championship team with a bat like his hitting in the 3/4/5 slot.

Lineup order isn't important!

Please speak for yourself and not everyone else.

You probably are or were a VERY successful attorney because you love to argue...lol 

If I said that the sky was blue, you would probably try to poke holes in that statement and find that one time in history where it wasn't...lol 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

He said big time pull hitter, not big time power hitter.  Point is, he’s not always hitting towards the LF wall.  He’s 159th of 168 qualified players in pull %.  

Pull hitting and power hitting are two different things.    A hitter can be a pull hitter without hitting homers.  It just means the hitter normally hits to one side of the field or the other.  Power hitters are normally called that because they hit homers.   

I think of Mountcastle as a power hitter because he hit 33 homers in 2021 and is on pace to do it again this season.   Your stats show he is also a pull hitter.  He can be both.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Pull hitting and power hitting are two different things.    A hitter can be a pull hitter without hitting homers.  It just means the hitter normally hits to one side of the field or the other.  Power hitters are normally called that because they hit homers.   

I think of Mountcastle as a power hitter because he hit 33 homers in 2021 and is on pace to do it again this season.   Your stats show he is also a pull hitter.  He can be both.

My stats show he is NOT a pull hitter.  158 of 168 qualified players pull the ball more than he does.   Hence, the wall isn’t a big a factor as some people think, because that’s not the direction where most of Mountcastle’s batted balls go.  

Nobody is denying that Mountcastle is a power hitter.  The post to which you responded said Mountcastle was not a big time pull hitter.  Your response said what does he have to do to be considered a big time power hitter.   Those aren’t synonymous, so your response/question didn’t match what Can_of_corn was driving at.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My stats show he is NOT a pull hitter.  158 of 168 qualified players pull the ball more than he does.   Hence, the wall isn’t a big a factor as some people think, because that’s not the direction where most of Mountcastle’s batted balls go.  

Nobody is denying that Mountcastle is a power hitter.  The post to which you responded said Mountcastle was not a big time pull hitter.  Your response said what does he have to do to be considered a big time power hitter.   Those aren’t synonymous, so your response/question didn’t match what Can_of_corn was driving at.

I don't have to match what CoC talks about.  I said what I wanted to say.   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Curious.  Who is our top prospect who is doing great at 1B in the minors?

I suppose it's possible you mean Kjerstad, although he has nearly as many games in RF so far (12) as he does at 1B (13).

I'm sure you're aware that 1B is the least demanding infield position, and as such prospects are converted to first basemen more easily than any other infield position. Both Kjerstad and Westburg will be able to play 1B for the major league team after they're promoted to the majors. I also prefer Urias as an eventual regular 1B to Mountcastle if Urias doesn't get traded (I think Urias should be traded as well, but I'd prefer keeping Urias on the roster to keeping Mountcastle).

I wouldn't expect Mountcastle to be traded until this offseason. Plenty of time for either Kjerstad or Westburg to take reps at 1B ahead of the 2024 season.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

Let's steer this thread back to the original subject...

Westburg hasn't played outfield in two weeks - almost exclusively playing SS since then.  I assume it is because of injuries in Norfolk?

Maybe it's because Mateo is OPSing .262 in May

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, yark14 said:

Let's steer this thread back to the original subject...

Westburg hasn't played outfield in two weeks - almost exclusively playing SS since then.  I assume it is because of injuries in Norfolk?

For one thing, Ortiz is in Baltimore.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is 1 for his last 15. Mini slump.

The positive thing is it will be good to see how he responds.  You hope he's not getting discouraged about being blocked; he's human and I'm sure he knows very well that Frazier, Urias, and Ortiz are all ahead of him in the pecking order.  I wish we could see him more in corner OF or even CF.  He is a good athlete; I'd be curious to see how he looks out there.  And there is a clearer path to playing time in the majors in the OF than 2B.

1 minute ago, Otter said:

The positive thing is it will be good to see how he responds.  You hope he's not getting discouraged about being blocked; he's human and I'm sure he knows very well that Frazier, Urias, and Ortiz are all ahead of him in the pecking order.  I wish we could see him more in corner OF or even CF.  He is a good athlete; I'd be curious to see how he looks out there.  And there is a clearer path to playing time in the majors in the OF than 2B.

I would like to see some first base and COF time for sure.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:06 PM, Can_of_corn said:

So why did you quote me and ask me a question that was supposedly not related to what you quoted?

Because he misread it but for some reason he doesn't want to admit it?

It's OK wildcard, we all make mistakes.  Except maybe Frobby haha

• Haha 1