Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

43 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Thats what gets missed. I agree Mcann should not be DH HE should be catching more. They need to take it easier on Adley.

There just not enough ABs for Westburg right now  unless you bench Mateo, which i dont think is going to happen just yet. Can he play First Base.

You could bench Frazier.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, deward said:

You could bench Frazier.

Why would they do that. There's nothing wrong with the production at 2nd base. Frazier (.9 WAR), Urias (.8WAR)(Some of that at 3rd base), 40% of the season sits  at 1.7 WAR. Projected 2nd base WAR for the season close to 4 vs last year close to zero. Mountcastle has a projected WAR of less than 0.3. Thats your bogey. Again can he play first base?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Why would they do that. There's nothing wrong with the production at 2nd base. Frazier (.9 WAR), Urias (.8WAR)(Some of that at 3rd base), 40% of the season sits  at 1.7 WAR. Projected 2nd base WAR for the season close to 4 vs last year close to zero. Mountcastle has a projected WAR of less than 0.3. Thats your bogey. Again can he play first base?

I should be able to, but the Orioles don't seem to want to play him there. While I would have zero issues with him playing 3B or 2B, he would fill a need at 1B. 

Saying that, I'd have no issue with him playing all over. He needs to be up here at this point. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I should be able to, but the Orioles don't seem to want to play him there. While I would have zero issues with him playing 3B or 2B, he would fill a need at 1B. 

Saying that, I'd have no issue with him playing all over. He needs to be up here at this point. 

That was the point of my last 2 posts. of course he deserves be up but where. 2nd base is not a problem. 3rd base is Gunner and he starting to heat up. If you bench Mateo and move Gunner to SS that opens a platoon with Frazier at 2nd (urias to 3rd) And then there s roster management and Joey gets Bustin back. One thing is for sure this game is hard.

28 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

That was the point of my last 2 posts. of course he deserves be up but where. 2nd base is not a problem. 3rd base is Gunner and he starting to heat up. If you bench Mateo and move Gunner to SS that opens a platoon with Frazier at 2nd (urias to 3rd) And then there s roster management and Joey gets Bustin back. One thing is for sure this game is hard.

I agree. I've said since Stowers was here there are ways to get everyone PAs and keep guys fresh longer. Westburg has earned his way up. Mountcastle has earned less playing time. seems like Mountcastle down and Westburg up is the smartest move right now though Urias needs to get going a bit. 

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Frazier's OPS right now sits at .687. Last year was .612, the year before was .662. I feel very comfortable betting on Westburg to outproduce that over the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, deward said:

He must be wondering just how many of these he has to hit. 

Him and every other prospect in the organization.

The optics of keeping him down like this aren't great. Could be interpreted as the front office either doesn't believe in their players and/or views them as assets to accrue value for the team's benefit.

59 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

The optics of keeping him down like this aren't great. Could be interpreted as the front office either doesn't believe in their players and/or views them as assets to accrue value for the team's benefit.

I think unlike years past the O’s can make an argument they don’t have room for him. That being said I am all in on finding at bats for him in Baltimore. Would also love to see Ortiz and Cowser up too. 

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

I couldn’t agree more.

Add-on the recent Norby interview about prospects getting opportunities elsewhere- morale may not be rosy.

It’s unfortunate, someone like Westberg was not given an opportunity to win 2B/3B during spring training - despite earning it through last year’s performance.

These guys deserve to be up.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

I think everyone understands the concept of assets and value including the players. It's a normal part of EVERY business. IMO the issue with the players (and maybe the union depending on where this goes long term) is holding back deserving players from promotion thus attempting to game the system to retain them through their prime years and limiting their earning potential by not allowing them to become FA during the highest earning (prime years of their career).

I say this as a person who wants the O's to trade for a serious starting pitching upgrade. But when I look at the amount of AAAA players on our roster that we are running out their for regular ABs and when I compare that to what we have just sitting on the farm and not getting a well deserved opportunity to gain valuable MLB experience, it does make me wonder what is up. I hope everything works out for all parties, including the players that may not be able to stay with us longterm. 

26 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I couldn’t agree more.

Add-on the recent Norby interview about prospects getting opportunities elsewhere- morale may not be rosy.

It’s unfortunate, someone like Westberg was not given an opportunity to win 2B/3B during spring training - despite earning it through last year’s performance.

These guys deserve to be up.

Well I don't think that they would or should displace the game's #1 prospect going into the season in Henderson by allowing Westburg an opportunity to win 3B. But 2B is another story. I mean don't get me wrong, Frazier has been decent and much better power than expected. But I still believe that his signing was not necessary. 

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think unlike years past the O’s can make an argument they don’t have room for him. That being said I am all in on finding at bats for him in Baltimore. Would also love to see Ortiz and Cowser up too. 

People can make an argument that the Earth is flat. Making an argument is different from making a convincing argument, or even a sane argument. I was the biggest Mateo booster on this board, but given his .152 / .182 / .181 (and that was before today's oh-fer) line since May 1st there is absolutely zero reason for him to be in the starting lineup, or even on the team. Westburg should be our starting 3rd baseman or 2nd baseman going forward, and Mateo should be on the bench or DFA'd. This shouldn't be a difficult decision. 

• Upvote 2