Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

39 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Britton - "Hey Mike how about Westburg?"

Elias - "Good player, can't wait to watch him lead the Tides to the Championship" 

Elias- "Yeah, we see what he's been doing. Good stuff! Have you been watching the Mateo AB's? He's getting ready to bust out! "

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Elias and team are thinking that the left field wall will affect Jordan's power numbers. Perhaps that's part of the equation of their thinking in the hesitation.

With him being 24 years old, consistently raking, and not even on the 40 man roster yet, it leads to tons of speculation.

I'll be glad when the speculation is over and we know.

I'll be honest, I haven't seen a lot of cheap Jordan Westburg pull home runs. Most of his home runs I've seen are 400 ft + bombs. When he connects, he connects. Now that left field wall will take away some doubles because the outfielders can play further back, but unless the wall gets in his head, I don't see it affecting his power numbers much.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I haven't seen a lot of cheap Jordan Westburg pull home runs. Most of his home runs I've seen are 400 ft + bombs. When he connects, he connects. Now that left field wall will take away some doubles because the outfielders can play further back, but unless the wall gets in his head, I don't see it affecting his power numbers much.

There was an excellent article by Jon Meoli on a series of drills Westburg does before every game.  3 out of the 4 drills involve hitting to the opposite field.   Westburg is far from pull-happy, though of course he does hit some out to LF.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There was an excellent article by Jon Meoli on a series of drills Westburg does before every game.  3 out of the 4 drills involve hitting to the opposite field.   Westburg is far from pull-happy, though of course he does hit some out to LF.

His 38.6% pull% is 6th least among hitters with at least 100 PAs in the system. He's certainly an all-fields guy and many of his long home runs have been to center.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just read that article.  That’s a fairly typical routine.  Mini plyos (200g & ~ 2/3s size of a baseball) are the gold standard now and using a “thunder stick” (skinny bat) adds to the difficulty.  All those drills are designed to keep the barrel as close as possible to the body & make the swing as short and direct to the ball as possible.  Pretty cool to get insight into his specific routine.  Interesting he’s a self described “organized & clean” guy.   That’s  exact vibe he gives off.  He’s going to have success.  

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

So…..what’s the all time Tides HR record?  

This is a great question, and I don't have time right now to do a deep internet search to find out, but I think I will later. I now Phil Hiatt holds the International League record with 42, but that was with Toledo in 1996.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

This is a great question, and I don't have time right now to do a deep internet search to find out, but I think I will later. I now Phil Hiatt holds the International League record with 42, but that was with Toledo in 1996.

That is harder to find out than I figured it would be.

I'm not interested enough to do a deep dive so I tapped out when a couple quick searches didn't pan out.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is harder to find out than I figured it would be.

I'm not interested enough to do a deep dive so I tapped out when a couple quick searches didn't pan out.

I gave it about 10-15 minutes and got discouraged as well.  Found a lot of other interesting random info about the team, though.   Never knew Davey Johnson managed there.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Westburg is sitting at 36. 

It's impossible to know what Elias has planned for Westburg, but I do find it a bit interesting he's played a good amount of SS this year and especially the last three games.  Westburg has Ortiz and Mateo ahead of him (and who are better defenders than him) and Holliday behind him.  I don't think Westburg ever plays SS for the O's unless something crazy happens with those three guys.  So if Westburg was in the O's future plans, I would think he'd be playing and getting all his reps at 2B, 1B, and/or OF.  Since he's not, my guess is Elias is showcasing him at SS to increase his trade value.  The fact that Westburg still can't sniff a promotion with over a year of dominant offensive numbers, along with the terrible numbers of Frazier and Mateo, tells me Elias sees him as trade bait.