Vavra vs. O’Hearn

sportsfan8703

This looks to be the battle for the last bench spot. Vavra might be hurt. He hasn’t appeared in a game since last week. O’Hearn seems to fit better at what the O’s need. LH power bat that is a big target at first base and can play some RF. Vavra just can’t stay healthy. Any update?  Vavra also isn’t a natural fit at 1B, and may need more seasoning to become a true utility player. 

Thoughts?

Give me Vavra all day if he's healthy. We have plenty of guys who can play 1B in a pinch. Santander looked okay over there. Vavra can play all 3 outfield positions, 2B, 3B, SS, and probably 1B in a pinch. Gifted player who works the count and slaps the ball around. 

Last update on the shoulder was that it felt better and he was taking swings yesterday, hoping to be in a game very soon. 

All that said, O'Hearn's had a nice camp. I don't necessarily buy it considering his recent track record in the bigs, but I don't hate him as a bench guy. I just hope it's not at the expense of Vavra, personally. 

I prefer Vavra.  I just think he'll be a better hitter than O'Hearn.   By the way, power hitter O'Hearn hit 1 home run last year.   Same as Vavra.   I think Vavra will hit better than he showed last year and provide average defense at LF/2B/3B and probably even 1B.   He can even fill in at CF or RF.   

35 minutes ago, vab said:

Keep an eye on Santander at 1st. If they feel comfortable with that, I think you'll see him backing up at 1st which will open an extra spot on the bench or, more likely, on the pitching staff. 

Or it could increase his trade value. 

Vavra’s injury is to his non throwing shoulder. I feel bad for the dude. I heard a great interview from him on 105.7 last year where he thought the injuries were coming from an auto immunodeficiency disease that he was recently diagnosed with. 

I just don’t see where he fits in on our big league roster. Why take a guy that’s missed so many ABs throughout his career and stick him in the 4th bench spot?  Wouldn’t it be better for him to be healthy, go to AAA, bat lead off, and refine his utility skills?  

O’hearn isn’t our savior, but I think he fills the 4th bench spot better. I remember reading that he was one of the players most affected by the shifting over the years. Plus, change of scenery. He’s got a good profile at AAA, and has shown some flashes in the MLB. However, I also worry that he’ll be a part of our Sunday “no hitter” lineups. 

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Not.... sure.... if... serious.....

Not sure if you're serious about me being serious.  It shouldn't be a competition.

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re right. It’s hard to win a spot when you’re on the IL. 

I know I'm right.  Vavra has been day to day and not on the IL.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Vavra’s injury is to his non throwing shoulder. I feel bad for the dude. I heard a great interview from him on 105.7 last year where he thought the injuries were coming from an auto immunodeficiency disease that he was recently diagnosed with. 

I just don’t see where he fits in on our big league roster. Why take a guy that’s missed so many ABs throughout his career and stick him in the 4th bench spot?  Wouldn’t it be better for him to be healthy, go to AAA, bat lead off, and refine his utility skills?  

O’hearn isn’t our savior, but I think he fills the 4th bench spot better. I remember reading that he was one of the players most affected by the shifting over the years. Plus, change of scenery. He’s got a good profile at AAA, and has shown some flashes in the MLB. However, I also worry that he’ll be a part of our Sunday “no hitter” lineups. 

As I said, this shouldn't be a competition.  Vavra's positional flexibility and overall athleticism should make him the last man standing.  I wouldn't consider a Vavra a guy who should play every day but he can be placed around the infield and he has an idea of what to do in the batter's box.  If you're worried about him getting hurt, the fact that he's not being looked at a full time starter should offset some of that.

O'Hearn isn't a savior, he's just not a good player.  He hasn't done anything of note since 2019 and even then he wasn't great.  Over the past three years his OPS+ is a whopping 70 with a .622 OPS.  Rougned Odor is arguably a bigger offensive threat.  

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not sure if you're serious about me being serious.  It shouldn't be a competition.

I know I'm right.  Vavra has been day to day and not on the IL.

As I said, this shouldn't be a competition.  Vavra's positional flexibility and overall athleticism should make him the last man standing.  I wouldn't consider a Vavra a guy who should play every day but he can be placed around the infield and he has an idea of what to do in the batter's box.  If you're worried about him getting hurt, the fact that he's not being looked at a full time starter should offset some of that.

O'Hearn isn't a savior, he's just not a good player.  He hasn't done anything of note since 2019 and even then he wasn't great.  Over the past three years his OPS+ is a whopping 70 with a .622 OPS.  Rougned Odor is arguably a bigger offensive threat.  

Well Vavra has been out 7 days. An IL stint is 10. So he’s pretty close to that. 

What is Vavra’s positional flexibility?  Don’t say CF, because that’s laughable. Defensively, Vavra is a poor man’s Stevie Wilkerson. Remember the Stowers homer against the CWS?  We were in that position because Vavra couldn’t turn two routine double plays. He’s a DH/COF with no power. Eventually pitchers will just challenging him more because of the lack of power. Most importantly, he just can’t stay healthy. 

• Upvote 1