Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

12 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I was at the game last night sitting on the left field line. Hays is not right, not even close. I’m not sure if it is a foot issue, but he cannot move right now. No idea how/if it is affecting him at the plate, but it doesn’t look good.

Ben mentioned it on the broadcast last night.

Hays is my favorite current Oriole and I appreciate his toughness to play through stuff but it really hurts the team when he’s slumped because of something nagging him. When it begins to trickle over to the defensive side, that’s when he should be given ten days to feel better.

I am all for the “are you hurt or are you injured?” approach but there is so much relying on these guys to be at optimal performance. If he isn’t 100% then the O’s should let him get right. 

3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I was at the game last night sitting on the left field line. Hays is not right, not even close. I’m not sure if it is a foot issue, but he cannot move right now. No idea how/if it is affecting him at the plate, but it doesn’t look good.

Yeah, I was surprised he was thrown out so easily on the ball that the shortstop bobbled when Mountcastle scored, and then he looked very slow getting to the ball on the double in the top of the eighth.  I'm not sure the runner from first would have scored on that play if Hays wasn't hobbling.  

That play was simultaneously crazy and thrilling.  Hays is clearly banged up, and the O’s had a comfortable lead, but there’s Hays going all out and making a great catch the only way he can, by smashing into the wall.  The guy only has one speed and that’s all out.  It’s admirable and nuts at the same time.  I love him for it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That play was simultaneously crazy and thrilling.  Hays is clearly banged up, and the O’s had a comfortable lead, but there’s Hays going all out and making a great catch the only way he can, by smashing into the wall.  The guy only has one speed and that’s all out.  It’s admirable and nuts at the same time.  I love him for it. 

Every time Hays makes a running catch I'm holding my breath and half expecting him to grimace and grab something in pain.  The guy seems to accumulate nagging injuries from the way he plays.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah I really appreciate him for it. With that said, Ryan McKenna was on a hot streak tonight so I think it could be a good idea for Brandon Hyde to give Austin Hays the day off tomorrow and start McKenna, although that comes with the caveat of looking to see what McKenna's career numbers are against Cease before committing to that idea. I haven't looked yet.

Still, I would think that Hays could use a couple days off to heal up.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yeah I really appreciate him for it. With that said, Ryan McKenna was on a hot streak tonight so I think it could be a good idea for Brandon Hyde to give Austin Hays the day off tomorrow and start McKenna, although that comes with the caveat of looking to see what McKenna's career numbers are against Cease before committing to that idea. I haven't looked yet.

Still, I would think that Hays could use a couple days off to heal up.

McKenna vs Cease, 2 BB and 2 SO. (.500 OPS)

Hays vs Cease 2 for 11 with a HR and 2 SO (.635 OPS)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Hays flirting with .800 OPS again (.799) after emerging from an extended slump.   He went 4 for 4 with a homer, a double, a sac fly and 4 RBI last night.  He’s hitting .339/.413/.646 over his last 18 games.  Notably, he’s been more selective than he normally is when he’s hot. 

Hays is a guy you don’t seem to notice in the lineup much but then you look up and his stats shows he is hitting much better then you realize in average Ops and homers.  I think a lot of that is he has struggled all year with runners on base.   Here is the lines with no one on and with guys on.  

No one on. 

255 AB .294/.350/.549/.899 13 homers

Runners on 

197 AB .279/.310/.355/665 1 homer.  

His average is close but he has shown no power or extra base hitting ability with guys on.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Hays is a guy you don’t seem to notice in the lineup much but then you look up and his stats shows he is hitting much better then you realize in average Ops and homers.  I think a lot of that is he has struggled all year with runners on base.   Here is the lines with no one on and with guys on.  

No one on. 

255 AB .294/.350/.549/.899 13 homers

Runners on 

197 AB .279/.310/.355/665 1 homer.  

His average is close but he has shown no power or extra base hitting ability with guys on.  

On side not Mullins has been exact opposite.  Awful with none on and very good with guys on.