Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’d rather just focus on the positives of how Westburg is looking than rehash Frazier.  I’d rather Westburg prove that Elias was wrong to think he might not be ready, than prove that Elias was right.  My gut tells me that Westburg will get his chance one way or another in the first half of this season if he continues to play well.   

But the positives have been there. A few ST at bats means very little in the big picture. Despite those positives, Elias blocked him with a mediocre player with limited upside because he felt the need to add a LH second baseman for some reason.

Just an abysmal decision that is being thrown back in our faces because Westburg is showing well.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the positives have been there. A few ST at bats means very little in the big picture. Despite those positives, Elias blocked him with a mediocre player with limited upside because he felt the need to add a LH second baseman for some reason.

Just an abysmal decision that is being thrown back in our faces because Westburg is showing well.

You’re missing the point.  This thread is about what Westburg is showing this spring.  I need another analysis of the Frazier signing like I need a 97th a-hole. We’ve discussed the Frazier signing a million times.  There’s nothing new to say.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s great he looks the part but I don’t recall anyone being down on Westburg. 

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

No, we signed the inferior player for $8M.  And because of that he's going to play no matter how poorly he performs.  Arguably the worst signing of the off-season by any MLB team.

This is hyperbole at its finest. 

Elias raised the floor of the position. That’s it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re missing the point.  This thread is about what Westburg is showing this spring.  I need another analysis of the Frazier signing like I need a 97th a-hole. We’ve discussed the Frazier signing a million times.  There’s nothing new to say.  

You have 96 balloon knots?!?!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

For anyone at ST or watching ST games, how has Westburg looked in the field? 

That is the question. The kid can clearly mash, but how is his glove? Defense up the middle is just as important as the bat. Maybe more so to Elias. Perhaps they feel he needs more seasoning there? Who knows. Frazier’s glove is solid as he has proven that over the years so the onus is on Westburg to progress rapidly there if that’s what is holding him back. I still think we see much more movement than we saw with Odor last year. I’m thinking much like last year, the lineup we field to start the season will be very different from the one we see as we march on to the playoffs for the first time in a long time.

Edited by Explosivo

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The first post referenced the Frazier signing and how it sucks we won’t see Westburg because of it.

I think Westburg stays in AAA for a month.    By that time Elias will have gotten his 7th year.   While at AAA he will play some 1B.    When they call him up he will find at bats at 2B/1B/DH.    And he will replace whoever is the 26th man.  Whether that is Vavra, O'Hearn or anyone else.

I don't think they have to trade anyone including Frazier to call up Westburg.    And I am not concerned about Frazier playing over Westburg.   Westburg is a 1st rounder signed by Elias.   He will get priority no matter how much Frazier is making IMO.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Westburg stays in AAA for a month.    By that time Elias will have gotten his 7th year.   While at AAA he will play some 1B.    When they call him up he will find at bats at 2B/1B/DH.    And he will replace whoever is the 26th man.  Whether that is Vavra, O'Hearn or anyone else.

I don't think they have to trade anyone including Frazier to call up Westburg.    And I am not concerned about Frazier playing over Westburg.   Westburg is a 1st rounder signed by Elias.   He will get priority no matter how much Frazier is making IMO.

Westburg isn’t the only young player impacted by Frazier though. That’s what some don’t get.

Put another way..every at bat Frazier gets will be at the detriment of a younger, higher upside and more talented player.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Without rehashing the Frazier deal, this is the hardest thing for me to understand since Elias has gotten here. I mean, he could have found a league minimum guy or someone around that range if he was questioning whether or not some of these guys would be ready. He's done a great job so far, but there's little doubt that he's wasted $8 mil.

I still think Elias was worried about Urias’ knee injury, that’s why we got the Frazier signing. I see no reason why Westburg can’t make the team over O’Hearn and Vavra. They can find places for them all to play. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still think Elias was worried about Urias’ knee injury, that’s why we got the Frazier signing. I see no reason why Westburg can’t make the team over O’Hearn and Vavra. They can find places for them all to play. 

I tend to doubt that about Urias and even if that was the case, you had multiple second base options and you could have just signed Harrison for far less money if you felt the need for an insurance policy.