Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

Frazier was signed because Elias wanted a guy that could bat left-handed. He didn't sign Harrison instead because Frazier is a lefty. It's the same reason we got Odor last year. Why is it so important? I have no idea, but it clearly is. 

It's for that reason that (injuries aside) I think, the player more in the way of Westburg is Urias rather than Frazier. I think early on we see a lot of Frazier at 2B (at least against RHP), but as the season progresses (unless he looks like the former All-Star we was a few years ago), I think Frazier slides more into a utility role playing some 2B and some OF. 

Ultimately, it still doesn't make sense, but Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby are all right-handed and Elias is obsessed with getting a lefty given the left-field wall. It's the same reason we probably see someone like O'Hearns or Cordero win the 26th spot. 

The hypocrisy is incredible. If you sign a lesser player the owners are cheap. Many here have said there is no such thing as a bad one year deal...one and done. Did the Frazier deal (expense) prevent them from signing another player? I don't think so. Do I want the younger players to be up? Yes. I don't really care about service time to save $$$ which also seems to be a common theme here. Just let it play out....you really have too little data at this time to make a judgement. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if we’ll see a trade at the end of the spring.   Interesting to me that Hyde has indicated that most of the guys still in camp will stay there until the very end.   Showcasing them?

It would be surprising since we don't typically see "major" trades at the end of spring training, especially from the Orioles. I think Elias is going to ride with what he's got, send the prospects back to AAA, and hope like hell his moves work out. 

The scary part in all of this is just his line of thinking of blocking young players with expensive "rebound needed players."

Either way, it's nice to see Westburg put up those good EVs this spring consistently. Hopefully he will see a lot of playing time at 2B, 3B and maybe even some corner outfield and 1B. If his defense becomes a question or if there is a better option, it would not be too bad to have him become a super utility type who still ends up with 500 PAs each year. 

Let's hope he ends up with an opportunity this year and doesn't have to wallow in AAA while an inferior player is playing every day in the big leagues due to his salary. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if we’ll see a trade at the end of the spring.   Interesting to me that Hyde has indicated that most of the guys still in camp will stay there until the very end.   Showcasing them?

I can't see them making a "major' trade, or at least trading someone of the significange of Westburg, in a late spring training trade.  I can't imagine anyone else would be willing to part with an equally significant piece at this point.

The best we can hope for is a trade. Perhaps there's a reason Westburg is hanging around deep in ST - if a trade pops up, he's obviously the candidate to make the 26-man, assuming that trade involves an infielder. 

Barring that, or injury, we are looking at Birdland banging the Westburg drum for 2-3 months, just like we were for Adley and Stowers and Vavra. Just like it'll be for Kjerstad and Cowser and Ortiz and whomever else. 

With Altuve injured, maybe we sling Urias to Houston? Grasping. 

2 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

The hypocrisy is incredible. If you sign a lesser player the owners are cheap. Many here have said there is no such thing as a bad one year deal...one and done. Did the Frazier deal (expense) prevent them from signing another player? I don't think so. Do I want the younger players to be up? Yes. I don't really care about service time to save $$$ which also seems to be a common theme here. Just let it play out....you really have too little data at this time to make a judgement. 

Lots wrong with this post but nothing more than the last line. We have a ton of data on why Frazier is a bad signing.

I can’t wait until we can stop hearing all the whining about how bad the signing of Frazier was. I’m so tired of it. Enough already, it’s so annoying. It’s just a one year deal, it’s not that big a deal.  I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that we’ll see Westburg in the majors at some point this season, regardless of what happens with Frazier. 

16 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I can’t wait until we can stop hearing all the whining about how bad the signing of Frazier was. I’m so tired of it. Enough already, it’s so annoying. It’s just a one year deal, it’s not that big a deal.  I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that we’ll see Westburg in the majors at some point this season, regardless of what happens with Frazier. 

The frustration comes from the fact that we have a good shot of being in a playoff race, and every win matters.  If Westburg can get us a couple wins that Frazier can't, that could make all the difference at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

The frustration comes from the fact that we have a good shot of being in a playoff race, and every win matters.  If Westburg can get us a couple wins that Frazier can't, that could make all the difference at the end of the season.

Do you really think the Frazier signing makes or breaks this season? If he plays well, it worked out, and if he doesn’t, I’d imagine he won’t have anywhere near as long a leash as Odor did. If he’s playing horribly the first few months and isn’t benched by June someone should be fired. 

23 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Being a part of this community means putting up with lots of whining. 😊

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

This will keep up all year and only intensifies if he isn’t playing well but is getting 350+ at bats. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

This will keep up all year and only intensifies if he isn’t playing well but is getting 350+ at bats. 

If that happens, I’ll join you. I really don’t see the Odor situation playing out again. If he is playing poorly, he’s going to have a much shorter leash now that we are trying to compete and have other guys ready to go.

10 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

If that happens, I’ll join you. I really don’t see the Odor situation playing out again. If he is playing poorly, he’s going to have a much shorter leash now that we are trying to compete and have other guys ready to go.

If he was making 3M or less, I would agree with you.

But 8M, a number that represents 12% of our payroll?  He’s getting significant chances.

And I’ll say this again..he may bounce back with the bat a little and his glove may be solid and he may be a 2 WAR guy this year. Personally, his performance isn’t at the top or even near the top of my list of why I don’t want him.

It’s just a horrible move and thought process across the board. It makes zero sense and I can’t see anything to justify the move, even if he plays better than expected.