Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

Adley seems to be very comfortable hitting right handed for power this season. (It is his natural side, after all.) First time I noticed this was hiw easy he switched in the home run derby and that has carried over into the games. 

Now that he gets to face another LHP abd bat right handed, let's hope that natural comfort continues with good Plate Appearances tonight. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, Frobby said:

I’m sensing a long hot streak coming from Adley.   It’s sort of started already: .855 OPS his last 30 games, .915 his last 15 games, 1.018 his last 7 games.   I just have the gut feeling that he’s going to have a big road trip out on the West Coast and continue on from there.  

Hyde has been going a little lighter on Adley’s workload of late, and it’s paid off because not only is Adley heating up, but McCann has been hitting of late.  McCann’s OPS since the all star break is well over .900.  His overall OPS of .649 is in the range of what you expect for a backup catcher, and now well above the .552 that Chirinos posted last year.  

You jinxed him. But he has bern horrible on  the road all year.

.167.194.333 last seven games.

2 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Basallo, if he's ready.  Benboom&McCann.

Maybe a free agent in the off season.  

Even I don't think Basallo's ready.

Any advantage the O's would get from having Adley DH full time would be lost, IMO by having guys like McCann and Benboom catch full time.  I'd rather just stick Mayo at DH.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kevin Brown mentioned today that Adley has been victimized by incorrect strike calls the second-most of any player in the league. It happened at least twice today.  

That stat passes the eyeball test. And it's weird because, anecdotally, players with command of the strike zone seem to get borderline calls.

20 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Not sure he'll even get to 4 WAR, but he still feels like an essential part of the team.

Adley would be the one player the O's can least afford to lose. Sure McCann is playing well right now as backup catcher, but his performance likely goes down if forced into a full time role.

Plus you now have someone like Bemboom as the backup catcher and he's going to be a downgrade.

6 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Not sure he'll even get to 4 WAR, but he still feels like an essential part of the team.

He is but he’s unquestionably having a year that we all would have been disappointed in had that been in the prediction before the season. Anyone saying otherwise is lying.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the bat but I did expect more from him on defense.

I’m not fine with the big power drop especially since the OBP is essentially the same.

I do think his approach at the plate is too much “just try to get on base” since he is hitting at the top of the lineup and I do wonder if he would look to drive the ball more if they would hit him a little further down in the lineup.

But based on what he has done and taking maybes out of the equation, I’m not happy about much of what we have seen from him this, at least relative to my preseason expectations.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not fine with the big power drop especially since the OBP is essentially the same.

I do think his approach at the plate is too much “just try to get on base” since he is hitting at the top of the lineup and I do wonder if he would look to drive the ball more if they would hit him a little further down in the lineup.

But based on what he has done and taking maybes out of the equation, I’m not happy about much of what we have seen from him this, at least relative to my preseason expectations.

The issue might be in your expectations.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The issue might be in your expectations.

He was a 5+ WAR guy last year in 70% of the season.  He was on a 6.5-7 WAR pace as a rookie.

So no, my expectations weren’t too high. My expectations were for him to build on what he did in as a rookie and that was the expectation of basically every person who watched him play last year.

Edited by Sports Guy