Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Who's getting sent down? There was nothing on the teams website listing other than the Vespi recall transaction.

Could we DFA Lester or send down McKenna? If Santander can consistently play 1B could we let go of O’Hearns? 

The move will probably be Lester though. He has no future with this team and is the classic definition of AAAA. Same kind and quality of Varva. Probably can play in Majors, has no business on a team trying to contend.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Could we DFA Lester or send down McKenna? If Santander can consistently play 1B could we let go of O’Hearns? 

The move will probably be Lester though. He has no future with this team and is the classic definition of AAAA. Same kind and quality of Varva. Probably can play in Majors, has no business on a team trying to contend.

Not sure. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see what they do tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Has to be a pitcher.  League only allows 13 pitchers on the team.  Vespi is likely.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Agreed. Our RHP heavy rotation doesn't do us any favors. We need more LHP Starters.

Our RH rotation isn’t terrible, it’s just that we’re not maximizing the value of our ballpark. Elias already has the lineup very LH, and has drafted a lot of LHB.   Getting some LH SP is the next step. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Our RH rotation isn’t terrible, it’s just that we’re not maximizing the value of our ballpark. Elias already has the lineup very LH, and has drafted a lot of LHB.   Getting some LH SP is the next step. 

That's where Means would have been really helpful this season. We may still see him, but the setback really hurt more than in most seasons.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Irvin as a matchup LH SP. Especially, in OPACY. If you can get the other team to trot out 8 RHB then the wall helps us that much more. 

I like your logic here, but I still get irked watching Irvin throw 147 pitches to sneak through four innings.  Thank goodness for awesome outfielders!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

That's where Means would have been really helpful this season. We may still see him, but the setback really hurt more than in most seasons.

Means and Hall healthy and pitching well could be a boost.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Means and Hall healthy and pitching well could be a boost.

Are you still high on Hall to be an effective starting pitcher? 

If so, what informs you of this belief? 

I think that ship could have possibly sailed. I think he’s “deloading” in Rookie Ball, if I’m not mistaken. The O’s are trying to figure how to increase the velo. He will be 25 this year. Has had a really troubling issue with walks and getting through 5. And has never dominated AAA to this point.

Irvin really danced out of trouble yesterday. Credit to him for keeping it together through five, but if Mullins had not made that ridiculous catch in the 1st, and if the wind had been blowing (or basically in any other ballpark) that would have been a bloodbath. He was not inspiring confidence. The Twins hit 9 balls at 99.9 Exit Velo or higher, 5 of which went 360+ feet. He escaped with a better line than he deserved.

• Upvote 2