Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

6 hours ago, TheWall said:

I hope some of them go on to have good careers elsewhere. It shows we've done a good job drafting / evaluating talent. Obviously, I hope we keep the right guys, but it won't be a bad thing if we trade Norby or Stowers and they end up being really good in the long run. I just hope we get good value when we move some of our prospects. 

Absolutely.  If you win all the trades you lose trading partners.  

1 minute ago, luismatos4prez said:

Really nice outing by Irvin tonight. It would be huge if he can be a reliable 6 innings 3 runs guy the rest of the way. That's what Mike acquired him for.

He was pretty good but he was facing the Twins.  He was also very lucky he didn't give up a 3-run homer on a really bad 0-2 pitch to Buxton.

• Upvote 2

Irvin now has a 2.92 ERA in 24.2 IP since returning to the majors on June 10. It’s pretty clear Hyde doesn’t fully trust him yet, as he keeps pulling him at the first sign of trouble after the 5th inning.  Note to Hyde: our middle relievers are NOT an upgrade over Irvin on nights when he’s pitching well and his pitch count is low.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

He was pretty good but he was facing the Twins.  He was also very lucky he didn't give up a 3-run homer on a really bad 0-2 pitch to Buxton.

Yep, Cedric saved the game right there.  There were a couple other defensive plays that were huge too (Westburg had a nice snag).

Irvin pitched well, it was huge for him to get into the 7th. Hopefully he can build on it.

46 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

That’s baseball sometimes. You’re not going to strike everyone out.

We know what Irvin’s capable of and what he’s not. If he can find his rhythm and even pitch to last year’s standards it’d be a boon at this point.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

That’s baseball sometimes. You’re not going to strike everyone out.

We know what Irvin’s capable of and what he’s not. If he can find his rhythm and even pitch to last year’s standards it’d be a boon at this point.

I get that but just pointing out that he was not as dominant as the one run he gave up in 6 innings suggests.  If Mullins had not made that catch we'd all be complaining about the Orioles losing, how come we can't have a rotation like the Twins, and how Irvin needs to come out of the rotation.  When Irvin goes 6 against the Rays or Rangers -- even if he gives up a few runs -- then we'll all be quite impressed I'm sure.  

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I get that but just pointing out that he was not as dominant as the one run he gave up in 6 innings suggests.  If Mullins had not made that catch we'd all be complaining about the Orioles losing, how come we can't have a rotation like the Twins, and how Irvin needs to come out of the rotation.  When Irvin goes 6 against the Rays or Rangers -- even if he gives up a few runs -- then we'll all be quite impressed I'm sure.  

That’s because a lot of posters here are incredibly fickle and need to take a breath sometimes.

Irvin certainly isn’t a guy we’re going to rely on to start in October, assuming the O’s stay on course for such things. But tonight he had a solid start. He looked far sharper than Sunday, when he gave up 1 over 5IP but labored dramatically in doing so.

If the lone complaint is “he made one bad pitch across the whole start but fortunately Mullins caught the ball,” then everyone here just needs to relax, say good work Cole, and move on to the next appearance.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

And the Twins were lucky to have two men on base from dinky little hits.

If Baumann could have come in and done a decent job against the same Twins, Irvin would have allowed zero runs.

This is just what Cole Irvin does. Even if he gives up that 3 run homer, he still would’ve given us a chance to win. I like Irvin because I see what Elias was trying to do. With the Wall, a lefty SP really plays up because you either get lefty/lefty matchups, or they trot our RHB versus the Wall. 

There is room on this team for Irvin. We can use him as a matchup up LH SP, even with an emerging Grayson. Irvin can start a game and give the SPs and extra days rest. It worries me that he’s out of options next year though. However, he can still be our long guy out of the pen. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Irvin now has a 2.92 ERA in 24.2 IP since returning to the majors on June 10. It’s pretty clear Hyde doesn’t fully trust him yet, as he keeps pulling him at the first sign of trouble after the 5th inning.  Note to Hyde: our middle relievers are NOT an upgrade over Irvin on nights when he’s pitching well and his pitch count is low.  

last night an exception had to made because of the one run lead. And Irvin was working the 3rd time through the order, usually that means bad things are about to happen.

I agree though he's been great since he returned from Norfolk. Doing everything he was expected to do.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, AdleysPecks said:

Turd Irvin. Between him & Voth, I want to cry as a grown man. Awful trade. Reactionary? Yep, but right. 

Odd timing of this post considering Irvin has pitched well lately, including tonight.

Sure do regret dealing Hernaiz though. He could be helping the major league team next year if the five infield prospects ahead of him all got hurt :)