Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wish he’d start a Rays game instead of Flaherty, that’s for sure. 

I'm not feeling good about starting Flaherty in a Tampa game.  It almost feels like giving a game away in the (most important series of the year).  I know people like to say every other series is the most important series, but if the O's take this Series, it would lock down the division.  Even splitting it, makes the O's prohibitive favorites. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

And I bet he doesn't complain.  He understands the situation and is going along for the good of the team.  I hope he is on the postseason roster.  

I'm not a fan of this move.  I actually like Irvin in this bullpen role of soaking up 2-3 innings every few days.  I see him as a decent 6th starter/swing man/long man in the bullpen going forward.  These guys can pitch a lot more innings than a high leverage guy.  A high leverage guy might be on the verge of overwork pitching 4 innings in a week, someone like Irvin could easily pitch 6 innings in 2 or 3 appearances and be ready to go again. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

And I bet he doesn't complain.  He understands the situation and is going along for the good of the team.  I hope he is on the postseason roster.  

Irvin has said all the right things about his role and demotions to AAA. He didn’t get a shot at a MLB rotation until Oakland at age 27, he certainly seems like the type to be happy to be in the majors in any capacity and willing to take whatever role is best for the team. 

It also must help to know this is his last option year. Starting next year he’ll have to pitch himself off a MLB roster, and he’s quite valuable as RP long reliever and fill-in 5/6 SP swing man, so he’ll have a long leash. 

For the playoffs, if all goes well we’ll have Bradish and Grayson and presumably Kremer and Means starting. Maybe Gibson or Flaherty gets a starting spot, but regardless we will have 2 from that group vying with Irvin to be veteran “length” guys in the pen if a starter gets knocked out early. They certainly won’t need all 3, and likely not even 2 from that group. Gibson probably has the inside track so it could be an uphill battle for Flaherty and Irvin.