Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With an all-right-handed rotation, this could be a good role for him. He can provide length out there.

We could use some stability in this long relief role honestly. Voth has only gone beyond 2 innings one time, and we've been using guys like Coulombe to bridge the gap too often. 

Wonder if we might start doing what the Rays and Braves (and a few other teams) have been doing, start a reliever then go to Irvin. (To skip GRod starts to limit his IP)

Example the Rays will be doing this with Chirinos tonight and did it last week vs. us. 

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I predict this to be another wasted option and do not see Cole getting the chance to pitch before getting sent back down again.

I doubt that.  I think he’s up for the long term.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I doubt that.  I think he’s up for the long term.  

Depending on performance.  Elias has shown a willingness to send him down, if he looks like the did the first time I think he goes back down.  I'm not sure his rope is any longer this time. 

Despite his poor results early in the year I didn't expect him to get demoted that quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Depending on performance.  Elias has shown a willingness to send him down, if he looks like the did the first time I think he goes back down.  I'm not sure his rope is any longer this time. 

Despite his poor results early in the year I didn't expect him to get demoted that quickly. 

I’m not sure what was wrong with Irvin to the start of the year, but 8 walks in 12.2 IP was highly unusual for him.  He seems to have righted the ship in Norfolk, walking only 4 batters in 31 innings.  Irvin is not a world-beater but he’s much better than what he showed in his three starts here.  My guess is he’ll pitch long relief for now, and enter the rotation if someone gets hurt or if the O’s decide to send Grayson down (which is not sure to happen, but could if he has another bad couple of starts).  

Really hoping Irvin is able to provide some value for this team. Looked up to see how Hernaiz is doing - and he really seems to be hitting for Oakland's AA team (.349/.390/.541).  I'm pulling for Hernaiz, but I'd more so love to see Irvin thrive in some role for Baltimore this year.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hernai000dar

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I predict this to be another wasted option and do not see Cole getting the chance to pitch before getting sent back down again.

I'm not sure why you say this, the option was used when Irvin was sent down. We can then move him up and down a total of 5 times in the season and it's still just 1 option used total. Or did I completely misunderstand what you meant? Heading to coffee machine now. lol

1 hour ago, ToadB22 said:

Really hoping Irvin is able to provide some value for this team. Looked up to see how Hernaiz is doing - and he really seems to be hitting for Oakland's AA team (.349/.390/.541).  I'm pulling for Hernaiz, but I'd more so love to see Irvin thrive in some role for Baltimore this year.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hernai000dar

Just think we are so loaded we could trade Hernaiz.  During the EdRod/Val Majewski years, Hernaiz would've been our top prospect.  

I'm rooting for Irvin.  If we're going to carry three lefties, one should be a long reliever.  

11 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I'm not sure why you say this, the option was used when Irvin was sent down. We can then move him up and down a total of 5 times in the season and it's still just 1 option used total. Or did I completely misunderstand what you meant? Heading to coffee machine now. lol

I'm saying they'll probably do with him exactly what they did with Drew Rom. Bring him up just as a backup plan in case they need someone to come out of the bullpen for long relief, then if they didn't need him, send him back to Norfolk to get back into his starting routine before he takes too much time off and gets rusty.

Once Austin Voth gets his rest in, I expect this to happen. They even have Mike Baumann who can provide long relief if necessary too. They don't need 3 swing guys in the bullpen at the same time.

And I don't see anyone in the starting rotation who's going to get bumped out and sent down right now.

I predict Cole Irvin will be optioned and Mychal Givens will join the bullpen in a couple days.

• 4 weeks later...