Appears Grayson pitched his way to AAA to start the year

Tony-OH

I’ll be slightly contrarian and say I wasn’t expecting much more than 4 IP/75 pitches this outing.  He was in danger of not reaching 4 IP for the fourth consecutive attempt, when he’d thrown 46 pitches after two innings, including 25 in the second (which was longer than it needed to be due to O’Hearn’s error).  So, the fact that he got through the 3rd and 4th in only 29 pitches was a good sign.  Unlike his other starts where he started strong and faded in the 3rd/4th, here Grayson fought through a slow start and held it together.   

That said, 4 walks in 4 innings is not Grayson-like, and from reading reports of those who were able to watch (I couldn’t get the feed to load), he threw a lot of pitches that were nowhere near the strike zone.  His overall 64% strike rate wasn’t bad, but it sounds like he had to groove them a bit, and couldn’t throw those pitches that start out as strikes and dive out of the zone late.  He’s got to have those back in his repertoire before he gets called up.  

Would love some more observations from those who were able to watch.  

• Upvote 1

I get that people have PTSD when it’s comes to Os prospects, especially pitchers but Grayson will be fine. He’s arguably the most talented pitching prospect we have had in 30 years. 

They will get it figured out. 

If they could figure out Kremer and Bradish, they can figure out Rodriguez.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

More than anything, it looked like he couldn't throw his breaking pitches for strikes.  That allowed hitters to sit on the fastball, which looked fine, but it's gonna get hit when guys are looking for it.  I didn't think the HR he allowed was on a fastball but someone can correct me.  Last two innings were a bit better and it was really wet.  I'm not totally discouraged, and he sure looks healthy, but I'll stop holding my breath when he finally has a good 6 inning performance.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be slightly contrarian and say I wasn’t expecting much more than 4 IP/75 pitches this outing.  He was in danger of not reaching 4 IP for the fourth consecutive attempt, when he’d thrown 46 pitches after two innings, including 25 in the second (which was longer than it needed to be due to O’Hearn’s error).  So, the fact that he got through the 3rd and 4th in only 29 pitches was a good sign.  Unlike his other starts where he started strong and faded in the 3rd/4th, here Grayson fought through a slow start and held it together.   

That said, 4 walks in 4 innings is not Grayson-like, and from reading reports of those who were able to watch (I couldn’t get the feed to load), he threw a lot of pitches that were nowhere near the strike zone.  His overall 64% strike rate wasn’t bad, but it sounds like he had to groove them a bit, and couldn’t throw those pitches that start out as strikes and dive out of the zone late.  He’s got to have those back in his repertoire before he gets called up.  

It was just a start where nothing went right.  A couple slow hit seeing eye singles.  A couple double plays that should have been turned that weren’t.  He was throwing hard, I saw a lot of 97s.  Everything was missing glove side, which tells me something is off that shouldn’t be too difficult to fix, it’s not like he was all over the place.  He got a lot of strike calls that I don’t think he would have gotten in MLB, so to me 64%Strikes thrown is a little generous.  The off speed wasn’t crisp but that could easily be due to the weather.  Looked like a guy that didn’t want to be pitching in AAA on a rain day.  Imagine he makes adjustments and has a better outing next time.  

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

More than anything, it looked like he couldn't throw his breaking pitches for strikes.  That allowed hitters to sit on the fastball, which looked fine, but it's gonna get hit when guys are looking for it.  I didn't think the HR he allowed was on a fastball but someone can correct me.  Last two innings were a bit better and it was really wet.  I'm not totally discouraged, and he sure looks healthy, but I'll stop holding my breath when he finally has a good 6 inning performance.

The secondaries have been an issue since coming back from his injury. 

That is what needs to get figured out.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Home run was a 97 mph fastball right down the middle. 

• Upvote 1

I might be way off here because the clock was in place last year in aaa but I think pitch clock was negatively affecting him. He looked frustrated/rushed. I think if he was able to step off the mound take some deep breathes to regain his composure it would of helped. The clock is the new norm and he and everyone will have to adjust.

24 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not gonna panic about one start… but if you derive anything from spring training you could argue it’s 3-4 starts.

Not gonna panic about 3-4 starts, either.

And the handful of iffy starts at the end of last season post injury.