Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm fine with this.  Frazier is like Odor with better defense--he has hit some clutch home runs, which inflates his perceived value, but at the end of the day he doesn't do much with the bat.  

Frazier has been up and down. He was at .765 OPS on May 24 and his supporters were declaring victory.  He’s at .668 now and his detractors are crowing.  Going into today, he’s had a .185 BABIP while his OPS has been dropping from its peak, so I’d say there’s been some bad luck in there.   His wOBA is 18 points below his xwOBA right now, also suggesting some bad luck.  I don’t see him as being like Odor much. Odor strikes out a ton, and Frazier rarely does.  Odor has more power than Frazier, though Frazier has shown surprising pop at times.   Odor has a stronger arm, but is more erratic defensively and prone to the occasional careless play, while Frazier is more steady.  So they’re very different styles of players.  

I don’t really judge Frazier on what his OPS happens to be on a given day of the week.   He’s mostly hovered in the range I expected, and been the type of player I expected.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s a lot better than Odor and I’m more than happy with Frazier as a bench piece. Odor has no business on a ML roster.  Frazier certainly belongs on one but as a pinch hitter, play sparingly type guy.

Would you keep Frazier over Urias if some miraculous circumstance were to give us Ortiz, Westburg and Henderson?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Frazier has been up and down. He was at .765 OPS on May 24 and his supporters were declaring victory.  He’s at .668 now and his detractors are crowing.  Going into today, he’s had a .185 BABIP while his OPS has been dropping from its peak, so I’d say there’s been some bad luck in there.   His wOBA is 18 points below his xwOBA right now, also suggesting some bad luck.  I don’t see him as being like Odor much. Odor strikes out a ton, and Frazier rarely does.  Odor has more power than Frazier, though Frazier has shown surprising pop at times.   Odor has a stronger arm, but is more erratic defensively and prone to the occasional careless play, while Frazier is more steady.  So they’re very different styles of players.  

I don’t really judge Frazier on what his OPS happens to be on a given day of the week.   He’s mostly hovered in the range I expected, and been the type of player I expected.  

I seem to recall a conversation some time ago, when the veins were bulging out in your forehead because I dared to call Frazier a replacement level player...

At that time he was sporting a 1.0 WAR

Today... he is sporting exactly 1.0 WAR

Meaning that since that time, he's been exactly replacement level.

😁

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No way. Urias has been a very valuable member of the Orioles and could excel as a utility player getting regular at bats filling in at multiple spots. 

I agree. He'd be my util of the future... With Westburg, Henderson and Ortiz in the dirt...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I agree. He'd be my util of the future... With Westburg, Henderson and Ortiz in the dirt...

I wonder if any of those 3 speak Spanish. I imagine Adley doesn’t, as I’ve seen comments that Mateo translates for him when there are mound visits with guys like Felix or Cano. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That would be a killer infield with Jackson Holliday only a couple years away from making his presence known in MLB.

Gotta think Holliday figures in that equation.. but I'll hold those thoughts until we see some AAA numbers

Just now, waroriole said:

I wonder if any of those 3 speak Spanish. I imagine Adley doesn’t, as I’ve seen comments that Mateo translates for him when there are mound visits with guys like Felix or Cano. 

Somebody needs to buy those guys some Rosetta Stone Lessons and pipe into their headphones while they are sleeping

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s a lot better than Odor and I’m more than happy with Frazier as a bench piece. Odor has no business on a ML roster.  Frazier certainly belongs on one but as a pinch hitter, play sparingly type guy.

I agree, he's better than Odor because his defense is more reliable.  And I agree that he has a value as a bench player because he can play multiple positions and hits left handed--he is a better player right now for that role than Terrin Vavra, for instance.  So Frazier should stay, but not as a regular player.  

45 minutes ago, owknows said:

I seem to recall a conversation some time ago, when the veins were bulging out in your forehead because I dared to call Frazier a replacement level player...

At that time he was sporting a 1.0 WAR

Today... he is sporting exactly 1.0 WAR

Meaning that since that time, he's been exactly replacement level.

😁

Great, so he’s been playing at replacement level for a few weeks.  

As you know, I’m tracking rWAR and fWAR in 18-game segments.   Hays had a segment of 0.0 WAR.  Santander had a segment of sub-0.0 WAR.  Henderson had a segment of sub-0.0 WAR.  I’ll venture a guess that by the end of the year, almost every player on the team will have had a segment of 0.0 WAR or below.