Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Guys act like Frazier kicked their dog or something. Just the amount of hate on the guy is mind boggling. 

He’s a vet that provides some clutch hitting, probably a good locker room guy, and while I understand $8 million on this team is a lot, it’s a one year deal that isn’t too much in comparison to the league. We are in first place partly because of his contributions, not in spite of it. Can we agree on that?

6 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Guys act like Frazier kicked their dog or something. Just the amount of hate on the guy is mind boggling. 

He’s a vet that provides some clutch hitting, probably a good locker room guy, and while I understand $8 million on this team is a lot, it’s a one year deal that isn’t too much in comparison to the league. We are in first place partly because of his contributions, not in spite of it. Can we agree on that?

He's a below average bat that is slow and poor defensively.

Can we agree on that?

All three of those statements are true.

1. 97 OPS+
  2. 26.2 ft/s sprint speed (same as McCann)
  3. Some metrics have him as the worst fielding player in MLB this year.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can we agree on that?

1. 97 OPS+

Below average compared across the league; above average compared with other 2B

• Upvote 1

Frazier could get a walk off hit in game 7 of the WS and people would still make sure to keep this thread on the negative side. 

@Sports Guydeserves a little credit here. He’s been negative on Frazier but has said many times he likes him as a bench bat off the bench when a hit is needed. That certainly played out today and it likely won’t be the last time. Frazier is a nice piece as day the 11th or 12th position player. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can we agree on that?

1. 97 OPS+

Can we agree that he have  more games in which he played an important part in a W than in an L? Can we also agree that short of a parallel universe it is impossible to prove that we would have more W’s or fewer L’s with Westburg or Ortiz in his spot?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can we agree on that?

1. 97 OPS+

To be clear, he has a 106 sOPS+ as a second basemen.  The fact that he’s below average compared to all positions is not really relevant.   He’s above average (for now) compared to his 2B peers.  

Also, he’s been worth +2 runs on the bases despite his lack of foot speed.  He’s got excellent baserunning instincts.  

I’m not going to defend his defense.  I’m not sure I buy that he’s as bad as OAA indicates, but he’s been below average and honestly I think he’s been worse over the last 30-45 games than he was earlier in the year.  

Still, the guy has had some huge moments for us, including today.  Let’s not forget he has a .965 OPS in high keverage situations, .929 with RISP, so it’s not just anecdotal that he’s come up big when it matters most.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

I don't get the Frazier hate or the complaints about his salary. He's a good one year guy. Great in the clubhouse, decent in the field and he comes up clutch a lot at the plate.

Only one poster made a negative comment today and it's exactly who you'd expect.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, he has a 106 sOPS+ as a second basemen.  The fact that he’s below average compared to all positions is not really relevant.   He’s above average (for now) compared to his 2B peers.  

Also, he’s been worth +2 runs on the bases despite his lack of foot speed.  He’s got excellent baserunning instincts.  

I’m not going to defend his defense.  I’m not sure I buy that he’s as bad as OAA indicates, but he’s been below average and honestly I think he’s been worse over the last 30-45 games than he was earlier in the year.  

Still, the guy has had some huge moments for us, including today.  Let’s not forget he has a .965 OPS in high keverage situations, .929 with RISP, so it’s not just anecdotal that he’s come up big when it matters most.  

His overall OPS matters because he doesn't simply play second base, he's got five games in the outfield and he's logged some time at DH.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His overall OPS matters because he doesn't simply play second base, he's got five games in the outfield and he's logged some time at DH.

89% of his PA are at 2B, so I’d say that’s the most relevant.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

22 PA’s as an OF. 316 PA’s overall including PH time. Unless there is an injury I doubt we see him in the OF again. Has never started as a DH.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 4:21 PM, eddie83 said:

Should have signed Josh Harrison. Cheaper and he can pitch.  

I remember various people said we should have signed Harrison instead of Frazier if we wanted a veteran 2B.  Just noticed watching tonight’s game that Harrison has a .586 OPS coming into the game.  He’s been worth -0.5 rWAR, -0.5 fWAR.   So, uh, no thanks.  

Now he’ll hit the game winning homer, since I wrote this.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I remember various people said we should have signed Harrison instead of Frazier if we wanted a veteran 2B.  Just noticed watching tonight’s game that Harrison has a .586 OPS coming into the game.  He’s been worth -0.5 rWAR, -0.5 fWAR.   So, uh, no thanks.  

Now he’ll hit the game winning homer, since I wrote this.  

Yep. Very bad year.