I can't get over how much Angelos has killed off the fanbase

Greenpastures23

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I gotta say as a person from the area who grew up a die hard Orioles fan and have been one for most of my life (I'm in my 40's now). 

The Angelos family has really zapped much of my passion. It's like how many times can Charlie Brown have the football pulled by Lucy before he realizes "maybe I shouldn't keep trying to kick it?"

After this past offseason (the inactivity combine with the lies/unkept promises) it really had an adverse effect on my passion for the team. It's almost like I'm telling myself not to get too invested anymore because "you know in the end, the Angelos family will only do something to pull the rug from under you".

I think it's not very realistic to think all the Orioles have to do is have a good young team and be around .500 and fans should just come pouring in. The brand has burned a heck of a lot of bridges in the community. And I'm afraid that many people have moved on or are consuming sports differently. There is much data to suggest that much of Gens Y and Z do not even watch/consume live sports.

Another thing to consider - If you think the public will always maintain a certain relationship with how they interact with certain industries, I think post-pandemic that has not proven to be the case.

Just take a look at movie attendance before and after or look at church attendance (live) pre and post-pandemic. Things have changed for many industries, why should professional sports be any different?

I'm 44 grew up 1/2 mile from Memorial Stadium. Same boat as you, but for me last straw was Machado. I knew then it was over for me until they sold.  Sadly it doesn't sound like that will ever happen, so I just won't be a real fan ever again. I won't spend a single penny or support anything they do when all they have done is spit in my face for 25 yrs and said it was raining. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course it doesn't.

You aren't the kind of sucker that thought it did are you?

No, I knew he wouldn’t do it and like I said, even if he did, it wouldn’t be reality anyway.

But don’t sit there and cry like a little bitch when people ask why you haven’t done it. 

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

I'm 44 grew up 1/2 mile from Memorial Stadium. Same boat as you, but for me last straw was Machado. I knew then it was over for me until they sold.  Sadly it doesn't sound like that will ever happen, so I just won't be a real fan ever again. I won't spend a single penny or support anything they do when all they have done is spit in my face for 25 yrs and said it was raining. 

I can can't be mad at you for choosing not to spend. I guess in an indirect way you are supporting a little by posting here...lol

I feel similarly about spending on attending games with my wife and kids or purchasing merch this year. Until the team invests in the team (in a serious way not a token way - i.e. with real Free Agents and significant trades), I'm out on spending my money on them.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No, I knew he wouldn’t do it and like I said, even if he did, it wouldn’t be reality anyway.

But don’t sit there and cry like a little bitch when people ask why you haven’t done it. 

But that's what he is.

He's a victim, his daddy never respected his talents and contributions.

• Upvote 1

Angelos' comments are further evidence of what I was saying. Adley has a great game, the team wins in exciting fashion on opening day and then he says, "You know what. I have the perfect way to cap off a nice opener for us" and says some of the most idiotic things imaginable. 

It's almost like he/the family continues to decide to work against the best interest of the club and self-sabotage at every turn possible... sad

I really think he’s just stupid. He’s just not a smart person, at least when it comes to baseball and business and marketing and PR and really anything that he is involved in.

When I worked there and he was basically running the business side of things, there were just so many bad decisions and ideas coming from him/his office.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really think he’s just stupid. He’s just not a smart person, at least when it comes to baseball and business and marketing and PR and really anything that he is involved in.

When I worked there and he was basically running the business side of things, there were just so many bad decisions and ideas coming from him/his office.

He’s not smart, but thinks he is.  That’s dangerous. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

John Angelos seems really dumb. I am surprised he hired Elias and the analytical approach that Elias brings. 

Technically, it was John AND Louis who hired him and PA was still involved. John has on several occasions stated that he hired ME but that's not true.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But that's what he is. He's a victim, his daddy never respected his talents and contributions.

The complaint depicts John Angelos as an aggrieved son who felt underappreciated and underpaid by his father. It quotes from so-called manifestoes that John Angelos wrote, including one from March 3, 2015, in which he says he’s created hundreds of millions of dollars of cash flow and wealth for family’s companies yet his salary never exceeded $175,000 at the Orioles or $225,000 at Mid-Atlantic Sports Network