I can't get over how much Angelos has killed off the fanbase

Greenpastures23

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, there are two main factors: (1) performance the previous season, which tends to drive season ticket sales, and (2) performance in the current season, which drives walk-up sales.   I believe Going Underground reported that he heard season ticket sales were up, but only modestly.  So, it really depends on whether the O’s play well this year so that walk-up is good.   

Well, we saw the increase last year even in season so we know winning leads to more butts in the seats.

If this team is competitive all year- as I predict they will be- and they don't draw 2 million, or close, fans than we might have to wonder if the other effects on attendance besides just winning- issues we are familiar with involving the city, demographics being drawn to baseball, people staying home to watch on TV, etc.- are stronger than we know.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, we saw the increase last year even in season so we know winning leads to more butts in the seats.

If this team is competitive all year- as I predict they will be- and they don't draw 2 million, or close, fans than we might have to wonder if the other effects on attendance besides just winning- issues we are familiar with involving the city, demographics being drawn to baseball, people staying home to watch on TV, etc.- are stronger than we know.

I think it’s highly unlikely the O’s get anywhere close to 2 mm this year.  Last year they were at 1.368 mm.   They’ve never had a jump of more than 350 k since 1996.   I think it would take at least two very good years to get back to 2 mm.

Just now, Frobby said:

I think it’s highly unlikely the O’s get anywhere close to 2 mm this year.  Last year they were at 1.368 mm.   They’ve never had a jump of more than 350 k since 1996.   I think it would take at least two very good years to get back to 2 mm.

I guess that's kind of my point/concern.  This team drew over 2 million in 2007 after nine straight losing seasons.  They topped 2 million in 2012 after 14 consecutive losing seasons.

If they can't get to 2 million this year then the team's fanbase has been permanently reduced in a way that even winning won't solve.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I guess that's kind of my point/concern.  This team drew over 2 million in 2007 after nine straight losing seasons.  They topped 2 million in 2012 after 14 consecutive losing seasons.

If they can't get to 2 million this year then the team's fanbase has been permanently reduced in a way that even winning won't solve.

Tanking as hard as they did for as long as they did is not without risks when it comes to alienating the casual part of the fanbase. I wouldn't expect an immediate rebound.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

Tanking as hard as they did for as long as they did is not without risks when it comes to alienating the casual part of the fanbase. I wouldn't expect an immediate rebound.

Was the tank worse than 14 years of losing?

For me it was nowhere near as bad.

• Upvote 2

Just now, interloper said:

Not even close. The team had literally no plan for nearly 20 years. TWENTY YEAARRRRRSSSSS

That's not true.

They had many plans over those twenty years.

They just weren't good plans for the most part.

Jury is still out on exactly what the current plan is or how successful it will be.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's not true.

Jury is still out on exactly what the current plan is or how successful it will be.

Well, it's already proven to be a better plan than any of those other plans, as they managed to win 81 games.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That's not true.

Signing Jamie Walker to a 3/$12 million contract for his age 35-38 seasons was certainly plan, that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not even close. The team had literally no plan for nearly 20 years. TWENTY YEAARRRRRSSSSS

I think the absolute nadir for me was Chris Ray blowing some save against the NYY in 2007 right before MacPhail was hired.

Just now, Pickles said:

I think the absolute nadir for me was Chris Ray blowing some save against the NYY in 2007 right before MacPhail was hired.

I was at the game he (and others) blew on Mother's Day in Boston. Absolutely brutal. And everyone saw it coming MILES away. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Signing Jamie Walker to a 3/$12 million contract for his age 35-38 seasons was certainly plan, that's for sure. 

Hey it takes some doing to get four years out of a three year contract.  Have to give them credit for that at least.

Andy pretty clearly had a plan and it wasn't that bad of one.  If he could have gotten over the buscones...

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I was at the game he (and others) blew on Mother's Day in Boston. Absolutely brutal. And everyone saw it coming MILES away. 

That whole first half of 2007 was just an epic kick in the balls.  It was the final nail in the coffin of any hope of competing without a long and hard rebuild.

I was happy with the hiring Andy MacPhail, as it at least signalled a clear direction.

Edited by Pickles

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey it takes some doing to get four years out of a three year contract.  Have to give them credit for that at least.

Andy pretty clearly had a plan and it wasn't that bad of one.  If he could have gotten over the buscones...

Lol alright wise guy. 35-37*

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Was the tank worse than 14 years of losing?

For me it was nowhere near as bad.

I had a harder time with a team that was purposefully unwatchable vs teams that tried and failed. At no point in those 14 years were those teams as hopelessly non-competitive as in the tanking years. I watched nearly every game in those earlier years, I didn't even bother turning them on most of the time in 2021.

• Upvote 2