Adley thread 2023

spleen1015

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like Cleveland or Tampa?

I’d like to hear the exact comment.  Obviously things are different from NY or Boston, but that doesn’t mean you can never do a deal.  In fact, it creates more incentive to do a deal sooner rather than later.  

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He obviously had a very good game, and I was glad to see it.

But I hate these Elias-inspired junk stats that are specifically framed to make them look more unique or impressive than they are. It would have been more honest if they just said something like Rutschman was only the 13th player since 1900, and just the 6th since WWII, to get five hits on opening day.  The more qualifiers you add the more contrived it looks. 

Other players to get five hits on opening day include some other HOFers like Craig Biggio and Eddie Collins, but also Bobby Byrne, Aaron Miles, Dale Mitchell, and Ty Tyson. In the first eight games of the 1927 season Tyson was 19-for-35 (.543) with a 1.327 OPS. By July he'd be in the minors for the rest of the season.

The record for RBI on opening day is 7, by the Twins' Brant Alyea and the Cubs' Corey Patterson.  Patterson went 4-for-6 with two doubles and two homers on 3/31/03. In 1990 the O's Sam Horn had two singles, two homers, and six RBI on opening day. On opening day 2002 Tony Batista had a grand slam off Roger Clemens in the O's 10-3 rout of the Yanks.

Dante Bichette had four hits on opening day in both 1998 and 1999.