2023 Defense Thread

Can_of_corn

O's are overall still in the bottom tier for team OAA. However, Gunnar did his part in the Tampa series. He is now in positive territory along with Mullins (+4), Westburg (+4, a bit of a surprise there), Mateo (+2), O'Hearn and Ortiz (+1 each). Frazier is really dragging us down with an incredible -12 number. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&startYear=2023&endYear=2023&split=yes&team=BAL&range=year&min=25&pos=&roles=&viz=hide

For those who missed Gunnar's highlights from the Tampa series:

What is number for Mateo?

Didn't watch the games fully but I saw him misplay (tough attempts) at least 3 balls

The grounder in the 9th that went under his glove was a particulary weak effort.

He doesn't seem to be a plus fielder anymore and he can't hit, time for Ortiz to take his spot on roster.

36 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Didn't watch the games fully but I saw him misplay (tough attempts) at least 3 balls

The grounder in the 9th that went under his glove was a particulary weak effort.

He doesn't seem to be a plus fielder anymore and he can't hit, time for Ortiz to take his spot on roster.

Yeah, I have to agree.  Just based on the eye test, he doesn't seem to be nearly as good as last year...not getting to balls or misplays that don't go down as errors but looked like plays he made last year.

40 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Baseballsavant has him at +2 this year after +11 last year. Relative to his playing time I'm not sure the numbers say he has dropped off although I agree he has missed some plays in recent games. 

Game 103, July 28-29, O’s 1-0 win over the Yankees

What a defensive masterpiece tonight.  A backhand dive by Urias on a smash down the lined to start a 5-3 play; a diving catch by Santander on a slicing liner headed for the RF corner; and two diving plays by Frazier on balls hit hard into the 1B hole, the second of which ended the 8th inning and saved the potential go-ahead run for NY.

• Upvote 1

Defense was outstanding tonight and was the difference in the game to be the key to victory, shutting out the Yankees. Frazier and Urias and Santander all had spectacular game saving plays, and Gunnar had some nice turn two's, with O'Hearn also being quick on his feet to handle alot of stuff that was hit his way early in the game.

Final Orioles vs Yankees series of 2023, Final result for Game 1: Orioles 1, Yankees 0.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 103, July 28-29, O’s 1-0 win over the Yankees

What a defensive masterpiece tonight.  A backhand dive by Urias on a smash down the lined to start a 5-3 play; a diving catch by Santander on a slicing liner headed for the RF corner; and two diving plays by Frazier on balls hit hard into the 1B hole, the second of which ended the 8th inning and saved the potential go-ahead run for NY.

For a game that was 0-0 going into the 9th we needed every one of those plays. Best team defensive game this year that I can recall.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

For a game that was 0-0 going into the 9th we needed every one of those plays. Best team defensive game this year that I can recall.

You may be right. Some of Mullins' catches in CF were more spectacular, but last night both the infield and outfield turned in one fine play after another.

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am sure Elias has some metrics that prove me wrong but I want Hays playing CF until Mullins is back.  Not to bag on Cowser but he’s just not adjusted / ready yet.

Sort of felt like Hyde banged on Cowser. In the post-game, they asked him what he thought when the ball was hit and he said I was looking for Cowser, and out of nowhere Hays came in. I feel like Mullins would have probably beaten Hays to that ball easily.

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am sure Elias has some metrics that prove me wrong but I want Hays playing CF until Mullins is back.  Not to bag on Cowser but he’s just not adjusted / ready yet.

I've been saying that for weeks. I think Hays in Center gives a boost to the defense and allows them to be more flexible in left field with the other players they have, including puting Frazier there and letting Westburg/Urias gets some reps at 2B.

26 minutes ago, Malike said:

Sort of felt like Hyde banged on Cowser. In the post-game, they asked him what he thought when the ball was hit and he said I was looking for Cowser, and out of nowhere Hays came in. I feel like Mullins would have probably beaten Hays to that ball easily.

From what I've seen (from his time in the majors) he doesn't seem to read the ball well off the bat.