Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure it is, but they didn’t have a consistent third amigo.  

I went back and checked Orsulak's numbers.

Orsulak logged 507 games between 1989-1992.  Imagine majority of those 507 was with Anderson and Deveraux.  Probably not the most bit a significant amount.  

Edited by emmett16

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Santander is one of the most reliable bats on our entire roster.

Do we expect him to still be here for his final arbitration season next year?   At this rate his 2024 salary will easily exceed $10M.

Its not just his salary.   Its two things IMO.

1.  The commitment to a long term agreement that would be required to keep him passed 2024.  And no desire to let him just walk without receiving prospects in return.

2. That  Cowser and Kjerstad will be here soon,  need playing time and cost much less.

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Santander is one of the most reliable bats on our entire roster.

Do we expect him to still be here for his final arbitration season next year?   At this rate his 2024 salary will easily exceed $10M.

To be honest, as long as he's hitting like he is right now, $10 Million for that would be a pretty good deal. If the Orioles wish to jettison the salary, they would first have to have a plan to replace the same offensive production before it's too late and they panic. (Such panic can put the team in a bad situation to be taken advantage of by agents.)

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:18 AM, Frobby said:

I wonder what Orioles’ threesome played the most games together in the outfield.  Jones/Markakis played a ridiculous number of games together but the third outfielder changed very frequently between 2008 and 2014.  Of the top of my head I’d think the candidates are:

Robinson/Blair/Buford, 1968-72.

Bumbry/Singleton/Roenicke, 1978-84

I don’t think there’s any easy way to find the answer to this question.  Calling @DrungoHazewood

Someone could go into bb-ref and get most common lineups for each year, but that would still be a lot of manual work and wouldn't be comprehensive. I don't think it's an easy question to answer.

I honestly expected him to be traded in a Jorge Lopez type of deal. I could see him moving in the offseason if one of the prospects plays their way into a position. However, it appears Hyde isn't in the practice of handing guys jobs. Cowser and Kjerstad could be replacements but they need to have success first. $10M is still a bargain for Santander and we can afford it. Switch hitting 137 OPS+ DH would not be a bad asset to keep around. 

For much of their careers, I've thought Santander and Mountcastle's production was ballpark similar for the MLB roster, but wow have two paths diverged in a wood.

2024 Arb4 Santander probably can't outrun 2024 Arb1 Mountcastle on $$$/WAR, and his Arb4 number will likely be bigger than Gibson's $10mm, Elias' current personal best.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:00 AM, wildcard said:

1.  The commitment to a long term agreement that would be required to keep him passed 2024.  And no desire to let him just walk without receiving prospects in return.

2. That  Cowser and Kjerstad will be here soon,  need playing time and cost much less.

What type of prospects do you expect to receive for a 1 year rental player like him?

Also, while I agree that Cowser and Kjerstad are coming up at some point. There is no need to jettison a reliable player like Santander who contributes to winning. DH is already open and then one of them can go to 1B. Mountcastle is really the player that could stand to be upgraded, not Santander.

If you paid attention to what Elias said yesterday when asked about Grayson, he gave a statement that spoke to the understanding that most young players (in today’s) will struggle initially to acclimate to the bigs and that time may take a little while. There is no reason to expect different from Cowser/Kjerstad. I don’t know how we maintain the offense when we have to acclimate multiple players like that at a time?

I think it’s more likely that Cowser comes up this Summer as you hope Gunnar has made the full adjustment. And then Kjerstad next season, once Gunnar can reliably be counted on to produce in the middle of the order.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:00 AM, wildcard said:

Wouldn’t we get a comp pick for him when he leaves in FA?  The risk adverse move is to probably let him play out his contract and take the pick.

A draft pick to us might be worth more than any other team with how we’ve been drafting/developing. Plus, it helps boost our overall draft pool with picking lower in the first round. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wouldn’t we get a comp pick for him when he leaves in FA?  The risk adverse move is to probably let him play out his contract and take the pick.

A draft pick to us might be worth more than any other team with how we’ve been drafting/developing. Plus, it helps boost our overall draft pool with picking lower in the first round. 

You willing to hit him with a QO?  It was $19.65 million last year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

QO decisions are a year away.   Assuming the team is in strong contention for a playoff spot this July and Santander is playing well, there is no way he's going anywhere this summer.   

Santander isn’t going anywhere. Not in the prime Adley years. He’ll give us 1.5 more seasons of value, and then we’ll see where we’re at.

This is why you just don’t give away the farm for Cease. Kjerstad is lining up as a Santa replacement. Mayo as the Mountcastle replacement. Cowser for RF. If you start plugging guys in the 2024/2025 depth chart, we don’t have that much excess depth outside of Stowers and one of Ortiz/Westburg. 

These are the numbers of comparison from Santander and Mountcastle the past 2+ years

Santander .246/.317/.454/.771 63 doubles 60 homers

Mountcastle .249/.309/.459/.768 63 doubles 66 homers 

One will probably get 10 million and other 3 million.  It seems hard to justify spending 10 million for one guy while the other guy everyone is just ready to get rid of.  Santander is hitting well right now but he has not hit like this except the short Covid season and then he got hurt have the way in.  

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Santander isn’t going anywhere. Not in the prime Adley years. He’ll give us 1.5 more seasons of value, and then we’ll see where we’re at.

This is why you just don’t give away the farm for Cease. Kjerstad is lining up as a Santa replacement. Mayo as the Mountcastle replacement. Cowser for RF. If you start plugging guys in the 2024/2025 depth chart, we don’t have that much excess depth outside of Stowers and one of Ortiz/Westburg. 

Won’t Cowser be taking one of the outfield spots along with Mullins and Hays? This placing Kjerstad in Mountcastle’s spot? If Mayo is 1B does that make Kjerstad full time DH?

Also, why do we have to “give away the farm” for anyone? Why can’t we just make a good trade for a significant upgrade at SP? Why does it have to be an all or nothing proposition?

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

These are the numbers of comparison from Santander and Mountcastle the past 2+ years

Santander .246/.317/.454/.771 63 doubles 60 homers

Mountcastle .249/.309/.459/.768 63 doubles 66 homers 

One will probably get 10 million and other 3 million.  It seems hard to justify spending 10 million for one guy while the other guy everyone is just ready to get rid of.  Santander is hitting well right now but he has not hit like this except the short Covid season and then he got hurt have the way in.  

Santander is a better hitter who is trending in the right direction career performance wise. Mountcastle is going the wrong way the last couple of years. He just doesn’t have the plate discipline to hit in the middle of the order on a contender. In big spots you just walk whoever is in front of him and get him out consistently by getting him to chase. Most of the time he will get himself out.