Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t see it.  Was this non contact?  (Agree with everything you are saying here too..that would make me more nervous about the injury)

Yeah he was just running down the first base line.  Only made it like 3-4 steps, winced and pulled up, and was out of the game.  I initially thought groin or hamstring.

Non-contact injuries scare me.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yeah he was just running down the first base line.  Only made it like 3-4 steps, winced and pulled up, and was out of the game.  I initially thought groin or hamstring.

I don't know.   I'd be more concerned if he collided with the first baseman and had a hip injury.    I guess we'll see but I'd hope it was just some kind of muscle strain or pull.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don't know.   I'd be more concerned if he collided with the first baseman and had a hip injury.    I guess we'll see but I'd hope it was just some kind of muscle strain or pull.

What muscle is in your hip?  Isn't that more of a labrum?

A hip strain occurs when one of the muscles supporting the hip joint is stretched beyond its limit or torn. Strains may be mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the extent of the injury. A severe strain can limit your ability to move your hip.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm no doctor and neither are you.  I'm sure there is something you can strain in your hip area.

How do you know?  I actually am a Doctor!  Just not a medical one.

Let's hope it's minor and he doesn't have to go on the IL.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What muscle is in your hip?  Isn't that more of a labrum?

Yea there are plenty of muscles in the hip area that are vital to propelling the legs and are considered core muscles. 

For reference Luis Robert had a non contact, grade three hip muscle strain last year and missed at least 3 months. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

Yea there are plenty of muscles in the hip area that are vital to propelling the legs and are considered core muscles. 

For reference Luis Robert had a non contact, grade three hip muscle strain last year and missed at least 3 months. 

Well, let's hope it's not that severe.

6 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I believe 3 of the next 4 are against left handed pitchers.  So you'd think they'd make the decision whether to bring up Ortiz soon.  Will be interesting to see if he plays tonight against Rochester. 

It was a day game for Norfolk today, and Ortiz did play, going 2 for 3 with two walks.  But he easily could be in Baltimore for a game tomorrow if needed.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Yet another reason why the average fan wants every player to “run it out” every AB on 162. Damn, I wish the local writers didn’t Eddie Murray outta town for “that”. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/analyzing-but-also-enjoying-jorge-mateos-hot-start/

The animated graphic with the Savant sliders was fun, and new to me you could dropdown toggle years like that.

Mateo progressing on the One True Path to maximizing air balls to your pull side as the tidbit he's doubled from 30 to 60% in that subset of batted balls shows.     

This is a fantastic article.  Among other things, it noted that Mateo had a couple of heaters last year, but explains in detail why this looks different.  Here’s a quote from it:

“Mateo is definitely outperforming his expected stats, but those expected stats are still way, way up. His walk rate is also up significantly from last year, and his strikeout rate is down a massive 11.8 percentage points. His strikeout rate did dip this low during last year’s hot streak, but his underlying metrics didn’t change the way they have this year.”

Lots of details in the article, and like Just Regular said, the slider graphic is really fun. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2