Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

In addition to all the other mentioned reasons, Mayo is listed as 6’5” 230. He’s a huge dude. He’s a great athlete and may be able to handle RF now at age 21 but you have to wonder when he may slow down.

Learning to play OF could also distract some of his focus from hitting development. Learning to play 1B as a 3B is not nearly as burdensome IMO. 

On their own I don’t think these are reasons to not try him at RF before 1B, but when you combine them with his proximity to the majors with the bat, the need at 1B and Kjerstad not really taking there then it makes sense. He’s probably going to be ready for a MLB debut from an offensive standpoint very soon and 1B is the most logical way to make that happen.

Listening to a coach of Mayo's on the Baysox today talking to 105.7 The Fan.  I missed the coach's name.  He was asked if any players had ever shown frustration not being moved up faster.  He said not really....then said that Mayo had shown some frustration.  Said he had to sit him down and explain that "where are you going to go?  Westburg is playing third.  Ortiz is a major league SS playing in AAA.  The Orioles are good right now"   He said Mayo began to relax.  But was happy when Westburg was called up and the dam burst.  

I kind of like the fire.  Shows Mayo thinks of himself as a big leaguer.  

Edited by Gurgi
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mayo’s lower half is looking more athletic.  He was previously kinda all upper body.  He is going to be a monster. 

I’m not sure if anyone has video of last year but I thought in spring training this year his lower half looked very spread out. Doesn’t look that way in the most recent videos.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Is Mayo playing third or first now?

Kjerstad played first today and Sunday. Didn’t look farther back, but when I checked about two weeks ago Mayo had played very few games at first despite what some posters seem to think is happening. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Kjerstad played first today and Sunday. Didn’t look farther back, but when I checked about two weeks ago Mayo had played very few games at first despite what some posters seem to think is happening. 

Just checked. Mayo has played 12 games at first this year and a whopping 14 in his minor league career. The Orioles are a little weird with positioning, but that doesn’t scream being groomed for first. 

I think it was @Frobbywho posted a little bit ago on International League offense spiking this year (maybe Bats gaming robo umps effectively?), and as one illustration after the big night, Mayo 10 games along is 278/317/556, but that only rates 101 wRC+.

Of course he may hit another half dozen balls to the moon this week.

Norfolk wRC+ outcomes ytd: O'Hearn 172, Cowser 152, Kjerstad 142, Ortiz 141, Westburg 129

9 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Kjerstad 'played' first today (Yesterday) is a very kind wording for what it actually looked like.  If anyone else on this board actually watches the MILB.tv broadcasts, or goes back to watch the archived games that are free following the live broadcasts... if you can actually make it thru how poorly played the game was in pitching and defense... it will become obvious that if Kjerstad is not cut out for first base.  5th inning, 0 outs.  2-2 Count and Denoyer bounced a pitch that Peyton Henry of the Sounds swung at.   It rolled all the way to the corner and Handley got there threw the ball right over the 1B bag.  Kjerstad positioned himself completely wrong and didn't know hot to move to receive the ball ultimately bailing from making the catch resulting in the scorer hitting Handley with an Error for the throw.  There were at least two other plays that he looked awful.

I imagine the last time Kjerstad was asked to play 1B was at 4 or 5 playing T-ball because he likely was one of the 2 or 3 boys on that team that could catch 50% of the balls.  At least that was my fuzzy flashback thought of position vs. experience.  

After yesterday I think he is actually prone to being injured if they continue to play him at 1B.

• Thanks 3

On 7/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, RZNJ said:

I think people are way too worried about wasting Mayo’s arm at 1B.    First, we don’t know what kind of 1B he’ll be but it seems to make the most sense for him because.

1.  He’s subpar according to most at 3B

2.  He is already an infielder.

3.  Kjerstad apparently didn’t take to 1B.

4.  Kjerstad and Cowser are probably better OF than Mayo and neither has a noodle arm.

5. Baseball America has Mayo rated at 45 for speed which is a little below average.  Kjerstad is rated a 45 as well although he looks at least 50;(average) to me.  Take both 45s with a grain of salt.

6.  If Mayo can handle 1B he’s probably the best prospect candidate by reason of deduction.

This is a pretty good wrap up. For me, Mayo is so big and going to get bigger, I think he's going to end up too slow for RF in a few years. Personally I think he's the 1B of the future here.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a pretty good wrap up. For me, Mayo is so big and going to get bigger, I think he's going to end up too slow for RF in a few years. Personally I think he's the 1B of the future here.

Why do you think the Orioles are not playing him at first much? They stress versatility so much in some players, but then they basically wait until the majors to switch the position of other players. Odd. 

33 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Why do you think the Orioles are not playing him at first much? They stress versatility so much in some players, but then they basically wait until the majors to switch the position of other players. Odd. 

My guess for the lack of 1B reps is to maintain prospect value.  The theory goes:  Mayo sticking at 3B boosts his marketable value, while playing him at 1B questions if he's 3B material.  

Elias should be fairly confident that Mayo will be MLBers at some point in his career.  It's just a matter of whether or not it starts in Baltimore.  I wonder if Mayo will get more reps after the dust settles to reveal who's left from the trade deadline.  (But I've been hoping for more 1B exposure for Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, and maybe even Norby for a while.)

• Upvote 1